Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

Tuning my own car.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Post Tuning my own car.

I have a base tune that works rather decently, though I'm sure some additional tweaks would be optimal, considering my base tune wasn't quite designed for my turbocharger, though they are similar. I have the GTX2863R instead of Ptuning's chosen turbocharger, though the rest of the kit is PTuning's, so that means I'm using an AEM FIC 6 piggyback computer.

I'm not sure who to trust in my corner of the country (Sequim, WA -- right across the water from Victoria, British Columbia), and frankly I think I'd get a certain thrill out of tuning my own car. I'm willing to learn what I must.

I already have an excellent gauge, the AEM 30-4900 Failsafe Wideband AFR/PSI digital gauge. And I have the FIC 6 software set up on my laptop. I'm willing to take on the risk.

Where shall I begin? Not eager to reinvent the wheel, just need a set of objective steps to perform, what to look for, etc.

Thank you for reading,

-John
Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

SOMEONE ANSWER THIS! I am going to need to retune my TC1 for winter.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You need to be able to read and record your RPM's, boost pressure and AFR's. If you have an easy way to see exactly what your car is doing its easy to make adjustments.
You basically want your AFR's to be at 11.7 while under boost, and about 14.7 when daily driving.

So watch your AFR's for spikes, low or high, check what the boost and rpm's at those spikes and make small adjustments on the fuel map in the fic software. Just remember that the fic is backwards from what you would expect. If you are hitting 11.2 let's say, you would want to pull fuel slightly, by making the fic value go in the negative direction, this will bring the afr's up. If you are hitting 13's then you need to add fuel by making the value more positive, this will lower the number that your gauge is reading.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Side note the fic software reads in atmospheric pressure, so the numbers on the left of your map is your boost pressure plus 14.7. So to read it in layman's terms take the number on the left of the map and subtract 14.7, that will get you the boost number that your gauge reads.