Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Aftermarket HU using factory Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up Aftermarket HU using factory Bluetooth?

Greetings!

First post here and I have a question on the tC that I will have shortly in my hands.

I ended up not getting the 'premium' radio upgrade after reading the stuff on these forums. But the stock one does sound pretty good but it is missing the touchscreen features that you can get with the aftermarket HU's.

Apparently the tC I'm getting is coming with bluetooth as standard and I am wondering if you guys have come across any HU's which can easily connect and use the existing bluetooth buttons and mics which are already in place all over the tC?

I know some HU's come with their own mics and controls for bluetooth but since the tC isn't a high volume car it is hard to get information on it aside from reading forums like this one
Old 07-07-2011, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 2011 TC comes with basic bluetooth. Just for making and receiving calls. I did install a touch screen HU in mine and the factory bluetooth still worked, because all it does it interrupt the audio going to the speakers when you want to make or receive a call. I opted to use an aftermarket bluetooth (the one that came with my alpine HU) because it offered me full features, such a Bluetooth streaming audio, phone book, and dial pad. I simply installed the Alpines MIC infront of the TCs mic which is on top of the steering column.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This was exactly what I was looking for. Awesome.

Any drawbacks though of installing an aftermarket HUD? I think a full touchscreen one will look better than the alpine. Then again if the touch screen goes iffy then your screwed.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the alpine HU with the stock BT does audio streaming as well. read through the directions that came with it. you can use pandora and all those sort of apps with it, although the sound quailty takes a hefty beating. i am pretty sure there are several adapters to use stock BT, i would call a couple audio shops and ask. i know pioneer, alpine, and kenwood all have them.