Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Alpine Head Unit Defect

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1stOne
Look in the brochure, then check Scion.com (or Scionnation.ca if in Canada) and you will find that the car does NOT come with an engine cover.

If your dealer is showing them installed on vehicles, its because they have determined the extremely obvious...that we have the same engine as that of a Camry! The engine cover from a Camry will fit, but it has the Toyota logo on it. Looks silly in my opinion and serves no purpose what so ever.
I believe we surprised you by sticking a Venza one on yours!

Let me be frank in response to the other questions... the 2011 tC was spec'd without an engine cover, and with a single reverse lamp. We all might not agree with or like this, but it's a fact... Not trying to be rude at all, I just want to set the record straight and try to keep this thread on track

Back to the Alpine HU... Unfortunately, I was out of office all afternoon and didn't have a chance to follow up. I hate to keep giving excuses, and I don't mean to, but I will do my best to get an answer as soon as I can.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default NO ENGINE COVER

All,

I apologize I started a bit of a fire in this thread (especially since it's a fire based on WRONG information on a topic not related to the thread).

- Service tech saw the nipple on the engine without an engine cover and thought my engine cover was missing.
- Service rep and I went and checked a random tC sitting on the lot to make sure the engine cover was really there on other tCs.
- Opened the hood on one and it had an engine cover so I thought tCs were supposed to come with them.
- I commented thinking I was the only one without an engine cover.
- Went back to the dealer this afternoon and popped the hood on 4 other tCs. None of the others had an engine cover.
- Attached is a picture I took when I went back to the dealer the 2nd time today. Notice it has the Toyota badge, like 1stOne said, rather than the Scion badge.

I always try to verify my information before posting anything, but even then I'm wrong sometimes. I apologize all.

@Scion Canada: I actually think forgoing the engine cover was a good idea on Scion's part. I had to take them off my Nissan & BMW to attach the air intakes anyway... And let me thank you again for looking into the Alpine HU issue. It's much appreciated, even if we get a little ____y at times.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine Head Unit Defect-2011-01-25_16-24-58_984.jpg  

Last edited by MightyP; 01-26-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Forgot the picture...
Old 01-26-2011, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion Canada
I believe we surprised you by sticking a Venza one on yours!
Ya you sneaky buggers. I like the one MightyP took a photo of though. The one you stuck on my car is a prototype, so it has no texture!

Originally Posted by MightyP
All,

I apologize I started a bit of a fire in this thread (especially since it's a fire based on WRONG information on a topic not related to the thread).

- Service tech saw the nipple on the engine without an engine cover and thought my engine cover was missing.
- Service rep and I went and checked a random tC sitting on the lot to make sure the engine cover was really there on other tCs.
- Opened the hood on one and it had an engine cover so I thought tCs were supposed to come with them.
- I commented thinking I was the only one without an engine cover.
- Went back to the dealer this afternoon and popped the hood on 4 other tCs. None of the others had an engine cover.
- Attached is a picture I took when I went back to the dealer the 2nd time today. Notice it has the Toyota badge, like 1stOne said, rather than the Scion badge.

I always try to verify my information before posting anything, but even then I'm wrong sometimes. I apologize all.

@Scion Canada: I actually think forgoing the engine cover was a good idea on Scion's part. I had to take them off my Nissan & BMW to attach the air intakes anyway... And let me thank you again for looking into the Alpine HU issue. It's much appreciated, even if we get a little ____y at times.
No need to apologize. New cars, new dealers, new reasons to be confused. It happens.

I have the cover on mine and honestly, I don't care for it much. The cover-less look grows on you!

Maybe I'll consider a carbon fiber one from Descendant Racing....
Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
No need to apologize. It was a small fire and we put it out quick
Old 01-27-2011, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any updates?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:49 PM

I just picked up my car and I can hear the differance in the sound level from driver side to the passager side. Any news if they are going to do anything about this problem.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^Scion Canada is working it from his side. Best bet for you is to talk to your service center and make sure they open up a ticket with the customer relations rep so it gets documented with Scion Corporate.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of communication/updates. From what I have been able to find out, there is some sort of fix in the works, but what it is, and when and how it will roll out is still being determined... Once I find out anything definitive, I will let everyone know.

If the sound profile made for the tC really bothers you, make sure you mention it to your dealer the next time you are in for service and have them make a note of it.

Your patience is appreciated.

Cheers,

C

Last edited by Scion Canada; 02-02-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the news
Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the help
Old 02-08-2011, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Weekly bump...

Any updates?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While we are waiting indefinitely, what settings are everyone using in the meantime?...
Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xB
Old 02-08-2011, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Alternate Setting for Alpine head unit...

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
While we are waiting indefinitely, what settings are everyone using in the meantime?...
Actually, I've been using the "xD" setting for "car type" on my unit.
I also set the bass control at -1,
and the treble all the way up at +5.

I'm somewhat of an audiophile and a perfectionist when it comes to natural, "as-recorded" studio sound. These settings come closest to that in my opinion,
having listened to many reference CDs on an ultra-high-end home audio system with electrostatic speakers.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xD is what I have been using as well. Not as loud as tC mode, but the sound is very clean.

I will probably be switching back to tC mode regardless once my 12w6v2 arrives (from my awful and slow eBay seller). I have a feeling xD won't provide enough power to the highs to compete with the bass coming from the JL.

Plus, the issue that this thread is seeking to address won't really be an issue once the sub is in.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

xD "mode" seemed to be the most accurate to me, though there is a noticeable drop in volume. I found "flat" to be decent too, if you play around with the other settings...

I'm sorry I have no other updates. I know there are discussions being had around this issue, but I haven't heard of any decisions being made. I will post up the second I hear anything.

Colin
Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

Hey everyone,

Unfortunately there is no concrete information yet... Fix, timeline and implementation are still being discussed. I'll post up when I get some definite stuff to share.

Your patience is much appreciated

SC
Old 02-22-2011, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Ouch, not even signing your name!

It's all good though. I talked with the Scion rep at the dealer today who said they're still "researching the issue." Oh well, things take time I suppose...

Thanks for staying on top of this for us, SC.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

Hahaha I didn't even think about the fact that I've been signing my name... I guess I could have at least looked at the previous post.

Cheers

COLIN
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's always one in the crowd who'll keep you on your toes. Usually the same guy who got shoved in his locker at school. And over uses smileys in forums...

Quick Reply: Alpine Head Unit Defect