Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Alpine Head Unit Defect

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question Alpine Head Unit Defect

The Alpine Head Unit in the '11 tC has a defect. This is a thread to discuss how you got your Alpine HU replaced and inform anyone who has questions on their unit. I've also outlined how people have been able to get their HUs replaced.

Background
tC2s with the Alpine stereo have a problem with the 6x9 speaker in the passenger side door. When the head unit is in tC Mode, the right speaker puts out much less sound/power than the left speaker. In any other mode, the speakers put out the same amount of power.

How Do I Know If I Have A Defective Unit?
Set the car audio mode to "tC" and turn up the bass on a song. The right and left woofers should produce the same sound level. If the passenger side produces noticeably less low sound, you can pull out the HU and see if it has the new part number. If it has the old number, you may have a defect.

Old Head Unit

New Head Unit

Recommended Fix
1. Contact your dealer and let them know of the problem. If they know of it and order the new Head Unit, great, problem solved.
2. If they dealer says anything other than "you're absolutely right, let me order you a new Head Unit", you can go to Scion's Website and IM with someone. Tell them your problem, and what dealer you use and they should contact the dealer for you. It may take a while, but Scion Corp will work with the dealer for you.

Good luck! The difference between the HUs is very noticeable.

Last edited by MightyP; 07-16-2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Tried to make the intro "Sticky" worthy. :)
Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, you know, i havent noticed bc i dont use the tc mode bc it doesnt sound as good... this might be why, i'll check later...
Old 01-07-2011, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member

I have the same problem, im going to the dealer as soon as I get a chance. I'll let you know whatthey say.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hopefully if we get enough people to complain, Toyota will listen and do something about it.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I saw this as soon as I replied to the other one. Good start.

I'm going to my dealer next Thurs to get the lower body graphic and rear bumper applique installed, so I'm going to throw in my two cents about this issue while I'm there.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

I posted in another thread, then saw this one! If anyone is so inclined, see if you can find the part number on the back or side of the head unit after removing it from the dash. Or if you aren't inclined, but plan on taking the car into the dealer to investigate, get them to obtain the part number for you.

The Alpine unit carries over from previous model years, so a new part number was created for the head units that contain the new tC sound profile. Other than the sound profiles, the head units are identical.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member

I'm at the dealership right now they said speaker and I told them it wasn't, after fifteen minutes of arguing I had to show them the speaker worked in XD. They said it may just be how they set it up. But they're going to call alpine and call me later.

/frustrated
Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by zacc3us
I'm at the dealership right now they said speaker and I told them it wasn't, after fifteen minutes of arguing I had to show them the speaker worked in XD. They said it may just be how they set it up. But they're going to call alpine and call me later.

/frustrated

please keep us updated
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by grandmasridehome
please keep us updated
Yes, please do. I'm supposed to pick up my new tC in a week or so with the Alpine HU.

Does everyone with this issue have a tC with a port-installed(/factory-installed?) Alpine HU or were they dealer-installed?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as I know, it's only available factory installed. Then again, they said XM Radio was only a factory installed option but when I pushed the dealer figured out how to make it happen. Anyway, my dealership orders ALL their tCs with the Alpine head unit
Old 01-08-2011, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The radios are port/factory installed ONLY. No dealers can order without radios. I'd check your radio part number and start there. The OE is offering you help...take it!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thought I'd do one better than post part numbers... Hopefully Scion Canada can help Scion USA figure this out. Thanks for any help you can provide.

On a separate note, what are the blue and grey plugs on the back for?
Attached Thumbnails Alpine Head Unit Defect-alpine-data-plate.jpg   Alpine Head Unit Defect-alpine-rear.jpg  
Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
On a separate note, what are the blue and grey plugs on the back for?
At least one of the connectors is probably for the navigation computer.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know I never have taken mine out of tc mode... will give it a shot first thing in morning. I have _____ed to myself about the sound quality of this stereo system for a while now... I knew something was not right. I have constantly been adjusting all the audio controls except the model selector trying to make it sound how I want.
My simple 100 dollar Pioneer head unit with (2) 6x9's and (2) 6's in my Mazda sounds better IMO.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Grey is the iPod video cable or back up camera (only 1 at a time folks), blue I believe is the NAV.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blackedout011TC
You know I never have taken mine out of tc mode... will give it a shot first thing in morning. I have _____ed to myself about the sound quality of this stereo system for a while now... I knew something was not right. I have constantly been adjusting all the audio controls except the model selector trying to make it sound how I want.
My simple 100 dollar Pioneer head unit with (2) 6x9's and (2) 6's in my Mazda sounds better IMO.
I completely agree. The thing about it is that I think the system still sounds better as a whole while in tC mode. The main issue is the gutless low-end.

Switching out of tC mode and into Flat gives you some of that bottom-end back at a sacrifice of fullness and clarity.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blackedout011TC

Your Pioneer is probably actually running both 6x9 speakers, where the tC is really only using the 1.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I messed around with it this morning. I have to agree, there is an issue. In Tc mode the right 6x9 is lacking bigtime. I settled on XD mode, lost some overall power but the sound quality is much better.
The EQ settings should stay set for each source imo. I hate having to readjust everything when I switch from USB to FM or CD. The Mp3 jack is horrid, won't even use it.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xD mode, eh? I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the car!

But I like having separate settings for each source. It gives you a chance to compensate for the different sound characteristics of the different sources, and adjust each one accordingly. It saves your settings for each source so when you switch to each source, they area already where they should be.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree, all of my settings for MX, SSP and such stay the same when I switch to another source. Mine does not save the settings for each source. I have to readjust everytime I switch. Even low end Pioneer radios save EQ settings seperate for CD or FM.

Quick Reply: Alpine Head Unit Defect