Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Cell phone steering column mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:36 AM

Default Cell phone steering column mount

I had been trying to think of a way that I could position my iPhone to easily see the screen for GPS purposes while I'm driving. I hate the dash mount and windshield suction devices because I think they clutter things up and look gawdy...and I don't want to pay for them So I fabricated this clip out of a piece of aluminum I picked up at Ace Hardware. I'll paint it black when I get around to it so that it blends in better. The first prototype I made did not bend in to hold the phone a little more securely and the phone went flying across the car when I hit a hard turn. The one in the picture was my second prototype and eliminated that problem...I also positioned the base a little closer to the steering wheel so as to increase the angle and keep the top more securely nestled between the gauges. I used double sided 3M tape to attach it to the steering column. Anyway, here are some pictures in case this idea is of use to anyone else.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Old 07-08-2013, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love seeing new ways to mount modern devices. Props. However, I would have two fears by this setup.
1) Possible damage to the phone rubbing over time.
2) Phone flying out the window or onto the floor during sharp turns.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 AM

Points well made and things I have definitely considered. The current design will hold the phone in turns. I have tested this, though this is reliant on using a case that has a slight lip. You could adjust the clip to squeeze the phone more securely but this would make it harder to take in and out on a regular basis so I kept a slight gap. The assurance that it won't slide out also depends on the angle you mount it....more angle, more stability. And I was going to cover it in plasti-dip to prevent any potential scratching but haven't gotten around to it yet.