Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Customtc Interior Vinyl Review & Install Tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Customtc Interior Vinyl Review & Install Tips

So I got really jealous after seeing some of the guys on here painting their interior pieces. But, as some of you know, I am all about the reversible mods. I’m weird like that. Customtc.com offers a Vinyl kit that is precut to fit all your dash pieces you would ever think of painting, and even some you wouldn’t. This is not a DIY as the kit comes with instructions, but I will give you some tips:

TIPS:
First, the instructions say to use water on the sticky side so that you can work with the pieces and they don’t stick in the wrong spot. I agree, this is absolutely necessary on some of the larger or hard to get to pieces, but the stuff on the doors, glove box, around the cup holders, and shifter, don’t need water! In fact, in my experience, water made these pieces harder.
The pieces around the stereo, where you have to get 2 different vinyl stickers to join up, you MUST use a hairdryer/heat gun, and water. Some pieces don’t need heat to go on straight during install, but after everything was in, I took a hairdryer to everything. This helps bond the glue it seems, plus, you can work out any bubbles. The glue does not stick super fast so even if you get stuck having to stop for a 3 hour thunderstorm (like I did) you can go back through later and melt everything down.

REVIEW:
If my best friend came to me and said “hey, will you help me install my vinyl dash kit?” I would look him in the eye and tell him to go to h---. This was not an easy task for me, probably because it was my first time using vinyl, and I am a perfectionist. With that said, there are areas that are NOT going to be perfect. The cuts of the vinyl are pretty good, but not perfect. No amount of stretching with a hairdryer will make some of the joints above the radio line up perfectly. Then, there are pieces that are meant to go around the tweeters in the doors. I spent 1 hour on the driver’s side alone, then destroyed the passenger side, so I had to take the drivers back off! These vinyl pieces were just too thin in one spot to make it stay put, as well as working out the bubbles. The vinyl does what I wanted it to do though, and as long as you are not looking for the bad, it does look pretty good. I would rate it 6 out of 10. Taking off 2 points for ease of installation, and 2 points for fit and finish.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the guy over at Customtc is the heat. I wrote him at 11pm once with a question, thinking I would hear back on the following day, but he wrote back immediatly. And although I would NEVER do this vinyl kit again, I WILL be ordering stuff from them again. (whenever they get something eles that I want!) Superfast shipping too. Zero complants with the seller, and I would recommend him to others.

This next pic is what I meant about matching up the joints. It is just impossible on this side, and it is the way the vinyl is cut:

Some of you guys may be masters at vinyl work and can get this stuff on better than me. This is just my review and what I experienced. I say again: The company = bad a--, this product = so so, in my opinion. I WILL be ordering from Customtc again.

Last edited by Druidiron; 07-24-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What does that red switch do?
Old 07-24-2011, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nevermind what it does, where did you get a toggle that fits exact in the dash?! I need I need!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is the self distruct switch! No, its for my headlight Audi LED strips. It does not fit in there at all. I had to pop out the space holder (dont know a better word for it) Then use a dremal tool to hallow out all the excess plastic. Drill a hole through the front and push my switch through. It lights up red too, I love it. Here is a pic of the rear of it so you can get an idea.

Im sorry man, Im not pulling it out all the way for ya, its WAY to hard to get back in!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really? Maybe its hard to tell with the picture, but it looks super clean on the dash. I'll have to give it a try and see how it turns out.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

looking good man...
Old 07-24-2011, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rotz
Really? Maybe its hard to tell with the picture, but it looks super clean on the dash. I'll have to give it a try and see how it turns out.
Yes, it does look really clean, but there was about an hour or so worth of work to get it that way. I figured, it was worth a shot to hollow out that spacer because if I messed it up, I could go buy one at the stealership for less than $10 and try again. If I tryed to drill into a panel, and messed that up......could of cost me about $130+ to replace...
Old 07-25-2011, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was just gonna get another Fog Light toggle, but they quoted me like $70. For a freakin switch. I'll have to give a shot at drilling it out.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UPDATE: So when I put this in, it was overcast and raining most of the day, and also on sunday. Well today it was hot, 104 degrees hot, and I went out to my car at lunch. Holy bubbles Batman......The pieces I thought where perfect, bubbled. The pieces that had a few bubbles, had more bubbles......I am reconsidering my reversable mod way of thinking....Maybe I used too much water during install and messed up the glue? I am going to try and squeeze some glue under a few of the pieces to see if that helps, if not, its getting torn out and Im going with paint......
Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Further review: All the vinyl that was on the textured pieces on the dash, has been removed. It just looked worse and worse as the days went on. Probably installer error, but either way, I was ashamed to show it off to anyone, so it had to go! I kept most of the other pieces because they never bubbled on me. The pieces that go around the cup holders are also gone. Those pieces skipped bubbling, and went straight to falling off. For the money, I still stay this isent a bad deal. I gave my interior some color, and that's what I wanted. Plus, I had a few scratches on the plastic piece, just behind the shifter, and the vinyl covers that perfectly. (Dog nails)

Would I do this again? Not in a million years, but I am glad I did it regardless and have nothing but great things to say about the seller (no, he did not give me money, or a discount to say that.)