Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

gauge pod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member

Default gauge pod?

Does anyone know if any companies make a gauge pod for our tc's? I want to put a temp gauge on the a-pillar.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wickedgk
Does anyone know if any companies make a gauge pod for our tc's? I want to put a temp gauge on the a-pillar.
No pods available.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i want a temp gauge too, dislike relying on a light to go on when its too late.
too bad none are made yet. could just get one on the wheel though. there is someone on here that has a white turbo'd tc and thats where his are
Old 01-04-2014, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

or you could just get a scan gauge 2. It plugs into ur obd port and will tell u pretty much anything about ur car
Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you gotta make your own. no one makes pods for the tc2. i got some pods and drilled some holes in them so i could mount the pods on top of the wheel column. gauges are tapped into the ignition for power.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member

I emailed some companies to see if we can get some made for our cars. Waiting on responses
Old 01-09-2014, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member

Just got a response from Glowshift. They are passing the request to their development team to see if this can be done. Ill post up any future updates once I get word
Old 01-09-2014, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

should be interesting on what they come up with haha
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quick question for everyone to ponder... and this goes for the tC1's too... wouldn't having the gauge pod on the A-pillar hinder the SRS A/B under it??!

Ive seen it too many times with other vehicles, that even the smallest accident, A/B's deploy... I wouldn't want a gauge or it's pod to smack me in the face!!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by FIREDOG21
Quick question for everyone to ponder... and this goes for the tC1's too... wouldn't having the gauge pod on the A-pillar hinder the SRS A/B under it??!

Ive seen it too many times with other vehicles, that even the smallest accident, A/B's deploy... I wouldn't want a gauge or it's pod to smack me in the face!!
it doesnt look like the a-pillar airbag would hit any gauges there.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/scion/tc
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FIREDOG21

I think thats probably why companies have yet to make pods for our A pillar. Otherwise people would get killed by a gauge pod hitting their face at like 6000 mph in a wreck. lol

but on a real note, if A-pillars were made for our cars. The airbags would need to be disabled and replaced with a resistor to keep the airbag light off.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Misterlu
I think thats probably why companies have yet to make pods for our A pillar. Otherwise people would get killed by a gauge pod hitting their face at like 6000 mph in a wreck. lol

but on a real note, if A-pillars were made for our cars. The airbags would need to be disabled and replaced with a resistor to keep the airbag light off.
Welp... I'm gonna go ahead and say that an a-pillar pod shouldn't be installed... being a first responder / ff'er... look at the photos from the iihs site... side impact... the pod would cause injury in a moderate accident.

But to each their own! Install at your own risk!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could just install a radio to rest in the glove box and use that old area to have gauges...
Or something to mount above the center vents would work too...

A pillar just sounds like death, racecar or not.

Sent from JARVIS
Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member

i dont see how a small single gauge pod on the a-pillar will be affected by the airbag. Anyhow no updates from vendors yet
Old 01-15-2014, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wickedgk
i dont see how a small single gauge pod on the a-pillar will be affected by the airbag. Anyhow no updates from vendors yet
OK I'll play "devils advocate"... if your only doing one and actually mount it low enough down on the a pillar (close to the dash) then yeah I can see sort of sneaking it in there with minor to no affectivity... but gauges are like tattoos... you don't stop at one! Haha

On the serious note... one gauge... yeah I can see it... but the full 3 gauge pillars won't fly and I definitely wouldn't promote them to keep us all safe.

Again... to each their own.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

also i figured that any company that does invest the time and money to make them would just do the standard 3 gauges
Old 01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Fireman, there is no effect from gauges on the A-Piller. The plasitc piece flips down and towards the outside of the car, and the airbag itself comes straight down and blocks any and all gauges that were there. It's all flipped down and around out of the way. For my MKV GTI, that's one generation that they tried something different with the A-Pillar airbag, so zero, absolutely zero manufactures made a pillar pod, even though nothing still would really happen, but then the next generation, the MKVI, they started making them again because the airbag went back to normal. I definitely understand your concern, but the tC's are good to have pillar pods. Doesn't matter for me anyways though, I'm an under-the-dash kinda guy down in the footwell. Stealthness is like 100hp, so.... yeah....
Old 01-15-2014, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Hey Fireman, there is no effect from gauges on the A-Piller. The plasitc piece flips down and towards the outside of the car, and the airbag itself comes straight down and blocks any and all gauges that were there. It's all flipped down and around out of the way. For my MKV GTI, that's one generation that they tried something different with the A-Pillar airbag, so zero, absolutely zero manufactures made a pillar pod, even though nothing still would really happen, but then the next generation, the MKVI, they started making them again because the airbag went back to normal. I definitely understand your concern, but the tC's are good to have pillar pods. Doesn't matter for me anyways though, I'm an under-the-dash kinda guy down in the footwell. Stealthness is like 100hp, so.... yeah....
Haha... well good to know I guess... I still wont place them there... I wont mess with anything "life safety" on the vehicle... upgrade it for sure (4 pt. harnesses) but never take away or impede. you never know how the bag will act especially with the multiple angles you could get hit or hit something, roll... too many possibilities and seen it enough on the roads...

Ive actually drawn a schematic up of an idea of placing the gauges on the dash... but not that huge 3 gauge "camel's hump" that you see on the market for the middle of it (top of the waterfall)... extremely low profile and all instrumentation is in line of sight. ill just say it involves PVC piping!! Hahaha once it's done I may have a marketable item??!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

...And I read somewhere that people are "killing the lights" on their gauges when they pass the police...??! That's laughable... you have gauges. that's not cause for you to get in trouble / yanked over. that's not even probable cause.... you're monitoring your vehicle... nothing against the law there... don't remember where I read it though.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear you about not risking it. It's all good. You aren't the only person concerned about it. But yeah, the low profile dash pod is a real thing. I think even Glow Shift makes one. But yeah, I get your design. You can carve open the top of the dash a little bit and let angles do the work, otherwise, follow the dash straight out towards you until it starts rounding down, and put the gauges there, basically on the top of the face of the dash and make a pod that surrounds it, which is pretty much what all of the low profile dash pods are.

Quick Reply: gauge pod?