Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Premium Alpine head unit noticeably more power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 06:02 PM

Default Premium Alpine head unit noticeably more power?

Hi guys, this is actually my 1st post here, but I've been lurking for a couple years and I wanted to 1st off say thanks for all the useful info and diy's, I've never had to post here because search button.

But now I'm helping my sister upgrade the system in her Tc on a tiny budget, and I wanted to ask those of you who've heard the different oem stereos if the premium Alpine head unit is noticeably more powerful than the 160w pioneer base model. (Its an 06, so it's not even the Pioneer t1809)

She likes the look, the HD radio would be nice, and plug and play with steering wheel controls are a must.

So far, we've got the bazooka factory sub, and thinking about polk db651 coax's in the front doors and the alpine deck. No plans for an amp, but having the option with the preouts wouldn't hurt.

Total cost, $400. Anybody got any ideas of anything that would work better for cheaper?

Oh, and I know this is the tc2 forum and she's got a tc1, but I figured you guys would have more experience with the alpine, thanks!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Idk
But I have oem audio + with bespoke premium radio- crystal clean and louder than I will turn it up too due to hurts ears. Never heard older models though
Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 PM

That's a sweet setup, but about 3 times what we're looking to spend...

4 times with the bespoke

Plus we're android people, bespoke doesn't have much appeal. The standard equipment 2014 pioneer however

But really I'm just wondering if the extra 10 watts (max) per channel makes a difference... or more precisely, if the Alpine's rms performance is close to its aftermarket decks, 20w or so...
Old 07-14-2013, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, I doubt it. thats less than 10% increase in power, and not all power is used 1for1 with response divided by the speakers.

Don't do it. better off with a good amplifier, not a crappy xplod or anything of that nature.
nice headunit+stock speakers= alright
crappy headunit+ quality amp+ stock speakers= better imho.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:41 AM

I see what you're getting at, and thank you for the wisdom.

Thing is, it's not just about the extra watt or two, it's the HD radio, the not-so-fugly looks, and the rca's. To add an amp now I'd have to go line converters or spliced wires into a high-level input amp, but I'd rather get the deck with rca's first, so I have the potential to add an amp properly later. Until then, all I'm looking for power-wise is enough to keep up with the bazooka vse, which isn't exactly an spl machine, ya know? The stock deck almost does, would a fraction more power and some high sensitivity speakers be enough for now? Idk.

I guess what I'm really curious about is how the alpine compares to an aftermarket head unit... Obviously the sound processing doesn't compare to a true equalizer, but is the power really any weaker? Yes, I know it's weaker than an amp, and if it was just volume we were after, then that would be the route we'd go. But could I get an aftermarket hu with harnesses, dash kit, and steering wheel controls (which would prob mean a $100-150 deck) that would outperform the alpine?
Old 07-21-2013, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed a Kenwood deck in my girlfriends '06 tC a little while back. The sound clarity out of the deck and the power of the bass were a vast improvement over stock. I've noticed with the stock deck, that when turning up the volume, bass will start to fade in the higher range. This is not the case with an aftermarket deck. You will distort the speakers long before they start to limit their output. I would highly recommend an aftermarket HU to anyone who is on the fence about it.