Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

USB Port not working.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Default USB Port not working.

I've had my tC for awhile now and I've always used an Aux cord and the jack to play music in my car, but recently I've just wanted to use the USB so I could just leave it in my car at all times, but when I plug in my usb it doesn't light up and when I click the ipod usb button nothing happens, only works with an aux cord. I even had the whole port replaced today and didn't change anything. Any fixs? or am I doing something wrong.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

an issue some owners had was that the usb connection on the back of the headunit was either loose or just not plugged in. Check there first.

you can find steps on how to remove the head unit by searching around the forum somewhere if you need help
Old 06-20-2012, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member

I took mine to the dealership and fixed it. No charge coz its under warranty.. The cable was unplugged from the head unit..
Old 07-22-2012, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, I have owned my 2012 tC for about 3 weeks now 2,100 miles now.. Had my I Pod plugged into the USB the whole time no probs. Yesterday out of no where while the I Pod was playing it would just shut off and either go to FM radio or pull music off my phone through Blue Tooth. Rather annoying. Did it like 20 times. My friend while the I Pod was working smacked the center console by the USB port and sure enough it kicked into FM Radio. Definitely a loose conection. My tC goes in under warranty on Saturday. May be a common issue?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got me wondering too... Occaisionally I have had problems with it locking up the ipod and having to reboot and reconnect it. Doesn't happen too often but still annoying.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, thats exactly what mine was doing. It did it for 2 days then stopped and was fine for a couple. Today all of a sudden i accidentally skipped a track I wanted to listen to while it was on random. Used the steering wheel control to go back. The track had disapeared. Finally I give up and take it off random and go to find the track by artist. Find it and go to play it. It brings up artist name and title. Sits there for about 3 seconds and goes to the next track and never plays. Now thats all it does period. Doesnt matter what I try to play through the USB on my I POD. It now doesnt work at all except picking up the info but no music. AM/FM radio still works. Still have the appt at the dealer on Saturday, but the problem is worse now. Im am now wondering if the head unit isnt bad too. Im gonna let the service dept do their thing and see if they get it working properly, but, any more problems im gonna press for a whole stereo replacement. I got 33,000 miles to make sure its working correctly.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member

Have you tried resetting the iPod. I ran into that issue once, reset the iPod and everything was good. I have an aftermarket head unit now so I haven't run into that issue since then.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:50 AM
SL Member

Default somehow fixed it

So I somehow figured out a way to play music off of my iPhone 7 to my 2011 scion tc. As you may know it's posted all over the place where after ios 8 the iPhone could not really work right with the scion radios for some reason. some found a way to connect there iPhone 7 to the xb with 3 adapters. if the usb doesn't work but the aux dose here is the link to the one i got
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5WWZ1F1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5WWZ1F1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
even tho it doesn't say its for scion cars if listed a bunch of other Toyota cars and the numbers were the same and the pins were the same. one set of 4 pins and one set of 5 pins. if it works correctly it should when you hit usb display 1. Ipod, 2. a fraction witch doesn't really mean anything. and 3. a random song for apple music. if you press the usb button and it says aux or no song or no title not album or something like that then try a different phone. hope this helps. keep in mind it might be somewhat ***** at points but it just needs to figure it out mainly because idt its ment to work for the 7 but it dose.