Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

[FIX] Engine bay rattling noise (not the windshield cowl noise)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:27 AM
O_O
SL Member

Default [FIX] Engine bay rattling noise (not the windshield cowl noise)

So I'm not sure if this problem is related to my car only, I've heard people talking about a rattling noise behind the firewall and this might be it but the only other rattling noise I've heard talked about are the windshield, seat, and sunroof ones. But anyway I seem to have found a fix since this problem has been driving me insane when I drive without music on.

This problem is a rattling noise that seems to be sounding like it is coming from inside the engine bay area that I notice when I drive with no music playing. It rattles from going over bumps and from coming to a stop. Turns out the problem was the hood because I pulled the hood release while I was driving to see if it would stop and it did. Went outside and closed the hood all the way and pressed down on it multiple times to see if I could recreate the sound. There's an annoying metal to metal contacting sound that seemed to be coming from the middle of the hood. I found out that it was the hood latch and the part where the hood hooks onto the latch contacting each other making the rattling sound.

Basically all you have to do is put something on the hook to keep the two metals from contacting each other and the rattling was gone after I took two hair ties and put them on the hook.

I'm thinking this might be a problem only related to me because I had my hood replaced from an accident a while back and it might be the cause of the non perfect alignment making the contacting rattles so...maybe this post might not help anyone but if you are having this problem let me know so I know I wasn't the only one!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:20 PM

I had my hood replaced too, and when i get on the highway and begin to accelerate i get a vibration that sounds as if it comes from behind the glove box. I think i might be going 0-70 miles and it happens for about 8-15 seconds and eventually goes away. i doubt its from my hood though. I think it might be something else guy.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:40 PM
O_O
SL Member

I know about the rattle you're referring to. Its the plastic cowl under the windshield that rattles when you go about 70mph. I have that rattle too but also a different rattle that is just specific to me I guess but I already got rid of it as read from above. Still have that rattle you're speaking of though.