Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Clicking/ Popping When Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:49 PM

Default Clicking/ Popping When Steering

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I'm hoping I could get some insight to something that has been happening with my tC for some time now.

Bought my 15' tC brand new. Since then it's been a bit of a headache and a fight with Toyota... I have a huge laundry list of problems/ issues, but I'll just keep it to one right now. I have been experiencing clicking/ popping in my steering for about 10 months now. Happened around 4,000 on the odometer. I'm now at 12,000. I have made several trips and attempts to have it inspected and fixed by Toyota, but have had no luck and sent out the door. I hear this clicking/ popping when turning the wheel at low speeds. More so when I crank the wheel (I never lock the wheel). It happens every time I'm in the car. Doesn't matter if the car is warmed up nor does the temperature outside play a factor. I can feel it when I'm interacting with the clutch as well. When it pops/ clicks, I can feel the pop when my foot is on the clutch. I'm hoping someone has had a similar issue that I'm having. I've been told it's a fairly common issue.

I think it could be struts, CV joints, or something in the column itself.

All Toyota has done about it is insulate the firewall.... Didn't do sh*t. For whatever reason, they will not check anything.

The car is still under comp. warranty.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by iMightyBoBo
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I'm hoping I could get some insight to something that has been happening with my tC for some time now.

Bought my 15' tC brand new. Since then it's been a bit of a headache and a fight with Toyota... I have a huge laundry list of problems/ issues, but I'll just keep it to one right now. I have been experiencing clicking/ popping in my steering for about 10 months now. Happened around 4,000 on the odometer. I'm now at 12,000. I have made several trips and attempts to have it inspected and fixed by Toyota, but have had no luck and sent out the door. I hear this clicking/ popping when turning the wheel at low speeds. More so when I crank the wheel (I never lock the wheel). It happens every time I'm in the car. Doesn't matter if the car is warmed up nor does the temperature outside play a factor. I can feel it when I'm interacting with the clutch as well. When it pops/ clicks, I can feel the pop when my foot is on the clutch. I'm hoping someone has had a similar issue that I'm having. I've been told it's a fairly common issue.

I think it could be struts, CV joints, or something in the column itself.

All Toyota has done about it is insulate the firewall.... Didn't do sh*t. For whatever reason, they will not check anything.

The car is still under comp. warranty.
As an update to this thread!!!

Just got my tC back from the shop. Had the steering column inspected for a third time. They found that it is a bad lock bolt on the column that causes clicking/ popping. For those of you who have this occurring with your tC I advise you have the lock bolt inspected. Could be the fix to your problem.

Also, out of sheer randomness. If you happen to have any rattling under the hood, check the heat shield. They tend to become loose over time, as well.