Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Minor mods - ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:07 AM

Default Minor mods - ideas

Hey guys, just got my SW Manual Tc. Couple of minor changes I want to make, need some feedback:
1 - replacing the antenna with a shorter one, any recommendations?
2 - replacing the stereo with a touchscreen navigation system, again, any recommendations?
3 - The arm rest on the Tc is hard and does not move, while the one in the Xb is great. Padded, feels more sturdy and moves forward. I asked the dealership if it can be fitted to the Tc, they said it couldn't b/c of the shape, but any one else thought of this?
4 - want to tint but still look classy - what's a good percentage, 35%?
5 - the car doesn't come with anything that could cover stuff in the trunk, thought it seems like there's a hook for some sort of cover. The salesperson said that there's something apparently on the way, any thoughts?

Would love to hear what other minor mods people are making.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

1) Lower it.
2) Take the black tape off the A-pillar.
3) Debadge it.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jon
1) Lower it.
2) Take the black tape off the A-pillar.
3) Debadge it.

Good ideas, except I wouldn't lower it with the snow around me.

Debadging? Is this something you guys do yourself or do most detailing shops offer this?

The black tape, is it known that the color underneath the blacktape is always the same color as the body. I kinda like the tape, it makes it look like the front and side is all connected. Though with the tape off, it looks decent too.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reccoso
Good ideas, except I wouldn't lower it with the snow around me.

Debadging? Is this something you guys do yourself or do most detailing shops offer this?

The black tape, is it known that the color underneath the blacktape is always the same color as the body. I kinda like the tape, it makes it look like the front and side is all connected. Though with the tape off, it looks decent too.
Lowering wont effect your ability to drive in the snow. Your tires will have the greatest effect on that. Mine will be lowered and winter driven. Car number 8, lowered, and winter driven!

And I would agree with Jon on the lowering part. The rest I disagree. The black pillars look best black. Taking it off makes it look like...every other car on the road. The helmet look is super unique to this car. And debadging what? Two letters? Really? Not worth it. Nice to let people know what you drive as they still wont have a clue anyways.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

If the pillars were glass and not just tape, then maybe. Ford was able to do it on the rear window of the Probe, I'm sure Toyota could have figured it out if they wanted that look. I think the tC badge looks cheap. The Scion emblem is ok especially since you can't take the one in the front off without cutting the "snout" out of the bumper.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

For the attena, go with a S2000 shorty. Someone posted a link for one in a tC2 post somewhere...
Old 11-02-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Superpickel
For the attena, go with a S2000 shorty. Someone posted a link for one in a tC2 post somewhere...
Thanks, has anyone actuall placed the S2000 shorty on the 2011 Tc. The only reason I ask is b/c the dealership is selling it for almost $60 (canadian) and just want to make sure it's the right one.

Do I ask for the 2009 s2000 radio antenna, or are there different kinds?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Look for one on Ebay. That's where I got mine. It was only $18 I think.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jon
Look for one on Ebay. That's where I got mine. It was only $18 I think.
Is that an original Honda part? How can there be such a disparity?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Because it's the dealer lol. Mine had the Honda logo on the plastic bag it came in.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Marketing mark-up at dealerships is crazy. Either look on Ebay as Jon said, or look up the link in the other forum.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 PM

I would never drop a car when winter driven in Canada... unless you want to destroy it...
Debadging is useless.
Just get the tint to the maximum allowed by laws
Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jon
Because it's the dealer lol. Mine had the Honda logo on the plastic bag it came in.
Doesn't mean its a Honda part, just that its a Honda bag (or even that can be a fake).

Originally Posted by oneshotted
I would never drop a car when winter driven in Canada... unless you want to destroy it...
Debadging is useless.
Just get the tint to the maximum allowed by laws
I do live in Canada and thoroughly enjoy pushing thick witted people with the idea of AWD and all-season tires out of the snow after pulling up with my lowered car. The only thing that touches the ground are your tires. The ride height of the vehicle only matters if you don't know how to use a shovel or snowblower in your driveway.

I'll state again, 8 cars, all lowered, all winter driven. And I live in the snow belt, so I'm well aware of what it's like.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1stOne
Doesn't mean its a Honda part, just that its a Honda bag (or even that can be a fake).

I do live in Canada and thoroughly enjoy pushing thick witted people with the idea of AWD and all-season tires out of the snow after pulling up with my lowered car. The only thing that touches the ground are your tires. The ride height of the vehicle only matters if you don't know how to use a shovel or snowblower in your driveway.

I'll state again, 8 cars, all lowered, all winter driven. And I live in the snow belt, so I'm well aware of what it's like.
So I ordered one from Ebay for $20 apparenlty a Honda OEM - will see how it turns out. Debading, I imagine, would lower the resale value as the average person would assume some sort of body work.

As far as snow and cars, a lot depends on drivers. I see more SUVs in ditches than civics with no traction control. I'm currently driving a honda with snow tires and no technology such as abs, trac or stability, and it's pretty safe.

As far as lowering is concerned, I've never done it, but I would imagine the main issue for me would be clearance getting over pieces of hard packed snow and just protecting the underbody in general from debris. Would like nice regardless.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1stOne
It was a legit sticker, part number, barcode and all that. It fits fine and looks just like all the antennas I see on S2Ks so if it is fake they did a good job.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reccoso
So I ordered one from Ebay for $20 apparenlty a Honda OEM - will see how it turns out. Debading, I imagine, would lower the resale value as the average person would assume some sort of body work.

As far as snow and cars, a lot depends on drivers. I see more SUVs in ditches than civics with no traction control. I'm currently driving a honda with snow tires and no technology such as abs, trac or stability, and it's pretty safe.

As far as lowering is concerned, I've never done it, but I would imagine the main issue for me would be clearance getting over pieces of hard packed snow and just protecting the underbody in general from debris. Would like nice regardless.
There are no issues. Anyone that has complained about winter driving with a lowered car can't drive IMO.

Trust me, put your thinking cap on when you drive and a lowered car (especially on something like TRD springs) wont be any different then stock.

Perfect example: Lamborghini does drivers training every year in Quebec (unless they've moved the venue). Search for it and you will find plenty of very low cars, with snows, having no issues at all.

Originally Posted by Jon
It was a legit sticker, part number, barcode and all that. It fits fine and looks just like all the antennas I see on S2Ks so if it is fake they did a good job.
And therein lies the point. That's all that matters.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Um so you carry a shovel and clear off all the roads? Man thats awesome! ROFL

Lowering a ride with snow does matter. Im pretty sure its a little easier to get stuck when your trying to plow through snow with a plastic bumper and not to mention its easier to get stuck on a patch of packed snow! Yes knowing how to drive does make a difference but its not the cure all like you make it out to be!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have driven lowered cars since I was 16 years old, and I live in New England... Havent had an issue yet, infact I use to drive around 4 wheel drive cars back when my 240sx was dropped, kitted and turbo'd... just saying
Old 11-04-2010, 02:46 AM

1.) +1 for removing the Apiller stickers, they make the car look so much better
2.) interior vinyls (like the five axis tc had the red edges)
3.) paint rims (black with silver rim)
4.) paint scion logo on front or replace it some custom logo
5.) stubby antenna
6.) air filter

when I get more money:
1.) exhaust
2.) intake
3.) lipkit
4.) coilovers

I plan on keeping it naturally aspirated o.o and focusing on handling components

my spelling is horrible >.> lol...

I'm getting mine in blue :O what color are you getting yours
Old 11-04-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by danni3
1.) +1 for removing the Apiller stickers, they make the car look so much better
2.) interior vinyls (like the five axis tc had the red edges)
3.) paint rims (black with silver rim)
4.) paint scion logo on front or replace it some custom logo
5.) stubby antenna
6.) air filter

when I get more money:
1.) exhaust
2.) intake
3.) lipkit
4.) coilovers

I plan on keeping it naturally aspirated o.o and focusing on handling components

my spelling is horrible >.> lol...

I'm getting mine in blue :O what color are you getting yours
So I'm trying to learn here. What benefit would replacing the air filter have?

Quick Reply: Minor mods - ideas