Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Opinions? Flat black spoiler on cement???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Opinions? Flat black spoiler on cement???

So I'm new and could use some advice. I just got my car last month and it already has a dent on the trunk. I'm not sure how it got there, but I think it has something to do with a party I went to over the weekend. It kinda looks like it was smashed with a bat or tree branch but with no paint damage. Basicly, it can be popped out, but there is a wrinkle on the edge above the brake light that won't be easy to fix without bondo and paint.

Does the stock wing overlap the edge above the light? Or is that the only spot it doesn't? I was planning on getting the wing anyway so It hopefully won't be a huge problem. I was also concidering getting it in primer to save a few weeks shipping. Should I pay the extra money and wait the extra 2 weeks or so for the painted wing or just buy the primed one and spray it with trim paint? Ive been thinking a black wing would look pretty awesome on my car if it was tinted out, which it will be as soon as I could afford it. I'm just a little worried it will look kinda cheap if I don't do it right.

Here is the link for the spoiler. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-Sc...278ee2&vxp=mtr
Old 05-30-2012, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone have a pic of a cement tc with black spoiler?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can get the painted lip and Plasti-dip it matte black, if it doesn't look like how you want just peel off the plasti-dip.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dropzone
You can get the painted lip and Plasti-dip it matte black, if it doesn't look like how you want just peel off the plasti-dip.
^^^^ what he said. But i think it would be kind of odd looking. You have to see if you like it yourself because ultimately you are the one driving it, if you like it then you good.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On of the "OG" builds has pics of a car show with a cement that has the rear roof, trunk and spoiler in black. Its not flat black but it looks really good. I don't know what page and I can't post it for you cause I am on my phone, but it is there. It may be Kidjustins.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrMexi2011TC
^^^^ what he said. But i think it would be kind of odd looking. You have to see if you like it yourself because ultimately you are the one driving it, if you like it then you good.
I like the way you think. I guess I would just need to see some pics first.

I'm actually planning on getting a lime green pin stripe and doing the wheels plastidip with lime green over it so it's not permanent. The funny thing is when I got the car my dad gave me the idea of a black hood and was thinking of doing the center section of the hood and the whole spoiler in black dip.

Anyone know if the center section of the spoiler will overlap onto the rear section of the hatch? I really need to find out before i get the wing because I need to know if it will completely cover the ding.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there anyway you can upload a pic of the dent to see if it would clear it?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sigh... Some of your ideas are not meant for a brand new car. But if that's what you want to do and if you like it, then by all means go for it.

The OEM spoiler does overlap the rear center section of the hatch, but not by a huge amount. It all depends on where your damage is. If you post a picture of the damage then I as well as many others would be able to tell you if that is an effective way to cover it.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can probably get an idea of the black spoiler/cement car look by running a pic of an rs7 tC through a black and white filter.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater
Old 05-31-2012, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That should be the link if it works.. I'm thinking the large part of the dent could be popped out but Idk about the crease. I spoke to an autobody mechanic today and he started figuring out a quote on a new hatch completely before I asked him of any other options.

Originally Posted by ProjectTC2
Sigh... Some of your ideas are not meant for a brand new car. But if that's what you want to do and if you like it, then by all means go for it.

The OEM spoiler does overlap the rear center section of the hatch, but not by a huge amount. It all depends on where your damage is. If you post a picture of the damage then I as well as many others would be able to tell you if that is an effective way to cover it.
I don't see a problem with painting wheels and pinstripe. I put the green on the back part of the front emblem and it looks pretty good. The cement looks too plain for me and I figure plastidip would be a good way to add color to the car without risking a botched spray job. The wing I'm thinking I would keep grey as well as the hood but I still think it would look pretty sick in black with dark tints.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the car looked at again today and they are saying it will cost 900 to repair after installing a new decklid, paint, emblems, and possibly a third brake light. It doesnt even look like it would be that bad to repair and cover up up with a spoiler. Could someone please help me out with the overlap of the spoiler. I'm going to remove the interior trim today or this weekend and see how good I can get it. I think the crease on the edge is going to screw me though =[ What's real ____ed up is that I just traded in a 2011 impreza without a scratch on it and ate 3gs getting the new scion, and now a month later I'm looking at a 1000 dollar repair.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Posted new thread for spoiler specs, mods please remove. Thanks.