Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Should I install a K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake on my 2012 tC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member

Default Should I install a K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake on my 2012 tC?

Hey Crew...
Had my tC for a little over a year and love it! Put in a K&N Performance Air Filter, and there was a noticeable gain in gas mileage and a slight acceleration boost. I'm slowly learning about improving performance, and it seems that the next step is a Cold Air Intake. I've read both pros and cons, but would like some more input. What does the community think?
Old 08-06-2015, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're talking about acceleration, only a turbo will make a difference. Intake, exhaust, and other bolt-ons give you more noise...but very little in terms of actual performance. So when spending hundreds on these bolt-ons...just keep in mind you're doing it for show, not for go.

Super light weight wheels will do more for your performance than any bolt-on engine product. Reducing that unsprung mass will do wonders for acceleration and handling.

Speaking of handling...if you are looking to improve that area of performance, look at going with lowering springs (Eibach or Tein) and some anti-roll bars (Eibach). That'll flatten out your ride and make flying around on-ramps more fun.

At the end of the day, this car wasn't really meant to be a fast car. Aftermarket support is limited and the 2.5L Camry engine is already tuned from the factory to give you just about every ounce of power it is capable of (without forced induction).

Sure, you could spend several thousand and drop a bunch of parts and a turbo in it. But once that's all said and done, you'd be past the price of a better car (GTI, Focus ST, WRX, etc). All of those cars come from the factory with boost and it takes much less effort to add at least another 50 HP with ease through ECU tuning.

Enjoy the car for what it is...toss a cheap exhaust on it for some rumble and some lowering springs to make it look better...maybe a moderately priced set of wheels for some swag. And be done with it. Save the rest of your money to pay down your car loan and get a better car.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member

Don't expect a noticeable hp gain by just upgrading the intake. There are other mods that you need to do.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member

Don't expect good performance out of these cars. A Corolla S can easily hang with the tC. Enjoy the car for what it is just like what the guy above me said. Don't put a cheap exhaust though because you will look like a ricer.
A Volkswagen grocery getter wagon beat the hell out of my tC. Feels bad but it is what it is. I would rather sell the tC and buy a true performance car like a WRX or 370Z instead of putting money into making the tC faster.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-10-2020 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SouthernCaliTC
Dont expect good performance out of these cars. A Corolla S can easily hang with the TC. Enjoy the car for what it is just like what the guy above me said. Dont put a cheap exhaust though because you will look like a ricer. A Volkswagen grocery getter wagon beat the hell out of my TC. Feels bad but it is what it is. I would rather sell the TC and buy a true performance car like a WRX or 370z instead of putting money into making the TC faster.
Some one gets it! I read your post about losing to the Passat and was about to give you the same speech lol but then figured you didn't need it. My tC is paid off and I'm half way to my down payment goal for a B8 S4. The tC will be a great DD so I'm not trading it.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
If you're talking about acceleration, only a turbo will make a difference. Intake, exhaust, and other bolt-ons give you more noise...but very little in terms of actual performance. So when spending hundreds on these bolt-ons...just keep in mind you're doing it for show, not for go.

Super light weight wheels will do more for your performance than any bolt-on engine product. Reducing that unsprung mass will do wonders for acceleration and handling.

Speaking of handling...if you are looking to improve that area of performance, look at going with lowering springs (Eibach or Tein) and some anti-roll bars (Eibach). That'll flatten out your ride and make flying around on-ramps more fun.

At the end of the day, this car wasn't really meant to be a fast car. Aftermarket support is limited and the 2.5L Camry engine is already tuned from the factory to give you just about every ounce of power it is capable of (without forced induction).

Sure, you could spend several thousand and drop a bunch of parts and a turbo in it. But once that's all said and done, you'd be past the price of a better car (GTI, Focus ST, WRX, etc). All of those cars come from the factory with boost and it takes much less effort to add at least another 50 HP with ease through ECU tuning.

Enjoy the car for what it is...toss a cheap exhaust on it for some rumble and some lowering springs to make it look better...maybe a moderately priced set of wheels for some swag. And be done with it. Save the rest of your money to pay down your car loan and get a better car.
Great post, nothing needs to be added to that write
Old 08-26-2015, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sure why not?