Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Steering Wheel Clicking Sounds?? 2015 tC

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 04:40 AM

Default Steering Wheel Clicking Sounds?? 2015 tC

I have a 2015 Scion tC that's making these annoying clicking sounds when I turn my steering wheel. The clicks/ticks only happen when I'm turning a corner, making a u-turn, or turning the wheel to park. So usually, when I break and turn at the same time, it will click. It doesn't affect my steering at all (or not yet at least), it's just really annoying to hear on a new car.

I already took it to the dealer twice. The mechanic said it was a "body creak" and that "they tested it on other 2015 Scion tCs and they made similar sounds", which I think is just BS. I'm not in any way an expert on cars though so I don't know. Please halp

Any ideas? Or is the Toyota dealership telling the truth? Do other 2015 tC owners out there experience the same sound?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-09-2017 at 12:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-2016, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure if this clicking noise sound comes from your steering wheel (inside) or from your actual rack & pinion (outside).

But if it comes from your steering wheel, ask the dealer to check the harness behind the driver's air bag (this harness is for the audio controls on the steering wheel), because some times if the routing of the harness is not correct, can create this kind of noise, since "rubs" with the back of the driver's A/B. Nothing wrong with the car, but very annoying.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pedro13
Not sure if this clicking noise sound comes from your steering wheel (inside) or from your actual rack & pinion (outside).

But if it comes from your steering wheel, ask the dealer to check the harness behind the driver's air bag (this harness is for the audio controls on the steering wheel), because some times if the routing of the harness is not correct, can create this kind of noise, since "rubs" with the back of the driver's A/B. Nothing wrong with the car, but very annoying.

Hope this helps!
I'll ask them to check that out. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-04-2016, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by siopau21
I have a 2015 Scion TC that's making these annoying clicking sounds when I turn my steering wheel. The clicks/ticks only happen when I'm turning a corner, making a u-turn, or turning the wheel to park. So usually, when I break and turn at the same time, it will click. It doesn't affect my steering at all (or not yet at least), it's just really annoying to hear on a new car.

I already took it to the dealer twice. The mechanic said it was a "body creak" and that "they tested it on other 2015 Scion TCs and they made similar sounds", which I think is just BS. I'm not in any way an expert on cars though so I don't know. Please halp

Any ideas? Or is the Toyota dealership telling the truth? Do other 2015 TC owners out there experience the same sound?
Is your car lowered or even on TRD springs?
Old 02-05-2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
Is your car lowered or even on TRD springs?
No, all stock. That's why I'm so confused why it would suddenly start making sounds. I didn't change anything.