Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Annoying clunking from each shock/strut

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 12:40 PM

Default Annoying clunking from each shock/strut

Hi everyone.

First off so glad I found this site!! I recently purchased a 2012 tC and love it. I bought it used off the dealership.

I am starting to get frustrated with the clunking sound however that is coming from going over bumps and rough road. The car was lowered by the previous owner with sport line springs. I've been to the dealership and they assured me that everything is installed and tightened correctly so no worries there. However I feel that something isn't right.

They are still looking into a possible fix but in the mean time it's frustrating me to the point of not being able to sleep.

I took a short video of the clunk I get by jacking the car up and lowering it. Also I took some pictures of the one side of the springs so anyone here can look and see if maybe they see something "OFF".

I'm embarrassed driving on residential streets where you can hear it as I go by and also with my windows down....

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it! I'm pretty handy so no worries there.

Thanks and look forward to getting to know everyone in the future!!!
Attached Thumbnails Annoying clunking from each shock/strut-img_20150501_164946.jpg   Annoying clunking from each shock/strut-img_20150501_164952.jpg  
Old 05-13-2015, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you look at the bottom 2 coils of the sportlines in the front when the car is on the ground, you will be able to see that they are touching each other. I bought some thin wall coolant hose (1/2" I think) to use as an isolator between the coils. However I have not had the time yet to put it in.

I feel your pain about the annoyance of the sound.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:24 AM

Red2014tC

Thanks for the input. I finally had figured it out about a week ago. I did the same thing with some hose.....

Are they suppose to ride that close together? It was suggested that my struts may be bad and/or the springs are worn out (which seemed weird)

Anyways let me know what you think. I appreciate you posting an answer to my questions!!!

Thanks
Old 05-17-2015, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There seem to be a lot of complaints about this same type of issue with creaking. Would it be better just to dish out some extra dough and get a set off decent coilovers?
Old 07-01-2015, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is a Sportline issue. I ran Sportlines for a few years and had the same issue. Noise in the front and rear since the day I installed them. Hated it!

Needed to replace front and rear struts/shocks since the rears were blown and the fronts were on their way out. Figured since I was going to have the suspension apart anyway that I'd replace the Sportlines. Put on Tein S-Techs along with KYB struts and shocks and I am thrilled with my purchase. I have NO suspension noise. Should have gotten them from the very beginning.