Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brake Pads

I started this thread to find better brake pads for my car. In my searches, I discovered there isn't a lot out there. Below is what I have found for aftermarket brake pads. Perhaps we can get this stickied.

NOTE: The rear pads listed above from EBC were designed for the tC1. Below are some things to keep in mind when deciding what pads to get:
- EBC assures me the rear pads they make for the tC1 will fit the tC2.
- While the rear rotors are different (tC2 rotors are larger), the pads are very similar in size. Actually the tC1 had larger pads than the tC2. (20cm2 vs 19.6cm2)
- Other brake pad manufacturers (including Hawk Performance) have said having pads a slightly different size isn't a problem, especially when you're upgrading the materials. (Thus why Hawk suggested the xB pads for the front of the tC2)

***Thanks to Backinblacktc2 for pointing me toward EBC Brakes, to EBC brakes for providing the details and to Jennifer@Scion for getting me the technical info!***

ORIGINAL POST BELOW
I'd like to upgrade the brake pads on my car and haven't been able to find any performance pads. Hawk emailed me back and said they make the rears in Performance Street, but the closest they have is the pad for the xB, which is .29" shorter in length and .05" shorter in height.

I'm not brake savvy and don't know if that would even work. Anyone know of another company making upgraded pads?

Thanks

Last edited by MightyP; 09-16-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check these out the only ones I know of mabye the EBC Yellowstuff brake pads may help you

http://www.fastscions.com/scion-tc2-brake-parts.aspx

EBC Yellowstuff:
Ultra High Friction Pads for Race, Trackday and Street Use.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. I saw them, but have never heard of them before and only saw replacement front pads. I emailed them and asked about rear pads, but have you had any experience with their brake pads?

Thanks again
Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally no I have had no experience with these pads but alot of my friends have and they swear by them.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll be getting red ones shortly

btw you should start with stainless steel lines

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=396

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=4020
Old 08-22-2011, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

used to own a dodge ram, and on one of my forums the guys were freaks about EBC pads. swore by them
Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just ordered the red ones. should be on next week. and ive been told that ebc is really good.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

a little heads up aftermarket pads have probs like brake dust or squeaking, I do know that ebc pads do either dust or squeaking i forget.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@Scion202: Brake lines will go in at the same time. I just already know where to get those.

@jtk2: Did you get front and rear pads? I've only found the fronts? In either case, I'd like to know what you think.

@Dam262a: At least for the yellow, EBC actually says there will be more dust. But that's to be expected for street legal race brakes.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ran hawk hps on my old car. GREAT pads, I actually put them and some slotted rotors on before heading to the tail of the dragon, and noticed a big difference from oem(bite and resistance to fade). About the same as oem on dust, which was fairly significant.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Several of our crew road race/autoX quite a bit and have tried the EBC pads.....and not one of us has been a fan of them. We have actually had several of the pads disintegrate on the track. I would stick with Hawk if I were you
Old 08-22-2011, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Stick with Hawk pads that don't fit exactly? I would go Hawk in a heartbeat if they had an exact application. My dilema becomes, go with Hawk brand pads designed for the xB or EBC pads (company I don't have experience with that has gotten mixed reviews on here) that have an exact application?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
^ Stick with Hawk pads that don't fit exactly? I would go Hawk in a heartbeat if they had an exact application. My dilema becomes, go with Hawk brand pads designed for the xB or EBC pads (company I don't have experience with that has gotten mixed reviews on here) that have an exact application?
I think it would be best to try and contact Hawk directly and see if they can answer your fitment question, or see if they have something in the works. Again though only telling you what are experience(s) have been on the other stuff, you might have better luck
Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually did contact Hawk directly. That's how I found out the xB pads are close to the tC2 pads. Very quick response and thorough answer (gave me dimension differences, part numbers, etc), but they said they have no plans to develop a front pad for the tC2 (they already have a rear pad, part number # HB629F.565). And they were the ones who recommended trying the xB pad. I would assume they wouldn't recommend a different pad if it's unsafe (liability issues after all), but still seems questionable to me.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
@Scion202: Brake lines will go in at the same time. I just already know where to get those.

@jtk2: Did you get front and rear pads? I've only found the fronts? In either case, I'd like to know what you think.

@Dam262a: At least for the yellow, EBC actually says there will be more dust. But that's to be expected for street legal race brakes.

I just got front pads since that was all I can find. And not really worried about the rears since they only do like what 20% of the stopping? Ima try out the ebc and see if there any good. If not I'll probably switch to hawk when they get an exact application and do front and rears on drilled/slotted rotors.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

I guess the question is what are you wanting to accomplish? Pedal Feel? For Racing? etc

If you are not going to be racing(on track, or AutoX) then buying racing type pads, are not really going to do much for you, except cause noise, accelerated rotor wear, and dust. If it is just better braking feel, then the previous suggestions should be good(upgrade to braided lines, and better fluid), and utilize the stock pads.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just think I should get more of a racing pad because it my 07 I put 30k miles on the stocks with no problems but my tc2 I have 15k and there starting to squeal.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The squeaking can be because of brake dust rather than wear. The pads for the tC2 are actually pretty aggressive. I'm not looking to replace my OEM pads because they don't work on the track. They're actually quite good and don't fade even after a number of runs in triple digit heat. My concern is how hot they get, which then transfer that heat to the tires, and to be prepared when I do need to replace the brake pads.

I'm over 20K miles with track time and my brakes are fine. Tires are looking a bit worn, but that's another story.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Paul, I think you and I will be the first ones to the 100k mile club LOL. I have just over 20K on mine too
Old 08-23-2011, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How long have you both owned your tCs? the rate I'm going I may be up there sooner than I want to...

Quick Reply: Brake Pads