Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Squeaky top hats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Squeaky top hats?

Recently the temps have dropped here in PA and I noticed that when I am moving very slowly (usually when parking) and I turn the wheel either direction(rather quickly in one direction), there is a notable squeak. It is not very loud or high pitched, it sounds more like rubber against metal without any lubricant. I know that there is a rubber o-ring between the two halves of the top hat, but curious if anyone else noticed this.

I am running Tein s-techs for about 5k miles now, just noticed this noise.

Edit: The noise comes from the drivers side. Odd part is that when I did the springs, the passenger side top hat actually came apart into the two halves, the left side stayed together but now it is making noise. Also, could it possibly be the sway bar bushings since the suspension angle changes. At higher speeds this noise is not present.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

White lithium grease sounds like a solution to me
Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, depends what it is. Don't feel like pulling the struts for some grease.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
Recently the temps have dropped here in PA and I noticed that when I am moving very slowly (usually when parking) and I turn the wheel either direction(rather quickly in one direction), there is a notable squeak. It is not very loud or high pitched, it sounds more like rubber against metal without any lubricant. I know that there is a rubber o-ring between the two halves of the top hat, but curious if anyone else noticed this.

Edit: The noise comes from the drivers side. Odd part is that when I did the springs, the passenger side top hat actually came apart into the two halves, the left side stayed together but now it is making noise. Also, could it possibly be the sway bar bushings since the suspension angle changes. At higher speeds this noise is not present.
having the same problem im in pa too!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Odd, did you look into what it could be? I have not had any time to look into it, been really busy.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same issue in Vegas stechs for about 15000miles. I don't.know if its tein related or not
Old 03-03-2013, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not Tien related...my Eibach Sportlines do the same thing.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the same issue. only in the mornings when my car is still a little cold. usually when i am backing out and turning the wheel slowly. i live in texas.. so my cold isn't very cold. probably about 40 in the mornings.. but im on s-tech's too and have been for only about 2-3 weeks.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well looks like I am not the only one. It gets worse when it is 5-10F degrees out but once it is warm it is not bad. I've been on s-techs for 10k miles now.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member

I'm actually experiencing the same noises out of both my front struts.
I live in Northern California near Sacramento.
It might have nothing to do with weather? I don't know, I too thought it was just me that was having this noise.

Last edited by cySciontC2; 04-08-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I never bothered to look into it as it doesn't cause any issues.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, I haven't had a squeaky suspension component yet. i am riding on Raceland coils and everyone is having squeaky issues.I just have one question. Did you guys look up the torque specs for what you toke apart and torque them to that spec. Because that's what i did and i haven't had anything squeak or rattle yet.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

and it has been cold and warm here is Virginia Beach, been as high as 80 and as low as like 28-30 degrees since i installed them about a month ago.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just posted a new thread with all the torque specs for our suspension. i would recommend checking everything to those specs and see if the squeaks noises go away.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for posting that up. I didn't torque the top hats to spec, but even then it shouldn't make them squeak. I've never had this issue before and I've done many spring setups like this.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for posting that up. I didn't torque the top hats to spec, but even then it shouldn't make them squeak. I've never had this issue before and I've done many spring setups like this.
I would try torquing them and see if that helps man.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD springs and I have the issue. I think it is the upper strut mount bearing. If I jack up the car and open the hood. I can turn the wheels from lock to lock and see where the sound is coming from. Looks like it is the strut mount bearing. I asked the dealership once and they "couldn't replicate" the problem. Someday I'll take it back and point out where it's coming from.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't heard this noise in a while, not sure if it is the single digit cold weather or what.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Red face recent noise

i installed my stech about 3 weeks ago and am just noticing a noise..i was actually thinking it might be due to something coming loose because i realized after torqueing everything i never went back and checked..i hope its nothing major cvould it be something loose? or just noise?
Old 04-06-2015, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Thermos2003
TRD springs and I have the issue. I think it is the upper strut mount bearing. If I jack up the car and open the hood. I can turn the wheels from lock to lock and see where the sound is coming from. Looks like it is the strut mount bearing. I asked the dealership once and they "couldn't replicate" the problem. Someday I'll take it back and point out where it's coming from.

I also think it's from the strut mount bearings. Have you done any investigation regarding this issue?

My car was totally stock. Never touched a nut or bolt on it and I started hearing the sound. I'm still trying to diagnose this issue.