Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Think twice about KYB strut mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation Think twice about KYB strut mounts

I bought KYB struts and strut mounts to install along with TRD springs. After taking everything apart, and putting back together, I was getting a BANG every time I turned the wheels to the right, and a clunk when straightening back out.

I checked everything I could think of before taking anything apart. Inner and outer tie rod ends, axle boots, sway bar link. Everything seemed solid, boots are intact. I kept the knuckle supported, so the axle never pulled out.

That pretty much left the KYB SM5665 strut mount. Take the strut back out, and put the old strut mount back on, and the bang is gone, along with several more hours of spare time.

I used KYB strut mounts on my Subaru, and never had a problem, but I'm going to say to stay away from them for Scion tC2 front struts. Now I have to find out what Jeg's return policy is, cause I'm out $50.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:20 AM

◄◄Click Here to Add your Vehicle to Garage
Crap! I actually just received mine in the mail. Hopefully it won't act like yours did. You think you could of just received a bad batch?

Old 05-03-2017, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bLuE_sTrEaK_14
Crap! I actually just received mine in the mail. Hopefully it won't act like yours did. You think you could of just received a bad batch?
Good possibility that you'll be fine. I just wanted to warn people, because I'll be out about 5 hours of labor by the time I get another strut mount in and installed. Put weight on the strut, and turn the wheels lock-to-lock before you button everything back up.

The Toyota strut mount on the driver's side literally fell apart when I pulled it off, so I don't want to leave the old one on there too long.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:58 PM

Hope so, but thanks for the heads up. But apparently a few people are having an issue with the KYB mounts. So I posted today seeing if anyone knew if other top hats will work with my KW's.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-25-2018 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-05-2017, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bad to worse.

I installed the struts and springs on Sunday. Around Wednesday, I began to notice a squeak from somewhere on the driver's side. Thursday the squeak became a random rattle at low speed. Today it rained, hard, and now I've got an almost constant chorus of rattles, squeaks, and knocks. It's BAD!

Although I technically can't confirm it, because I don't have another good mount to swap in, I'm fairly certain that it's the other KYB strut mount. I jacked up the front end, took off the wheel, and started pulling and banging on things, and double checked that nuts and bolts are torqued. Everything is solid apart from from a wiggle at the top of the strut.

I think tomorrow I might have to go to the dealership and get their price for strut mounts. If they try to charge me $125 for one, I'll have to decide whether I can live with the noise for a couple weeks if I order from TRDSparks. I don't think I'll have time to fix anything Mother's Day weekend.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Suburban
Bad to worse.

I installed the struts and springs on Sunday. Around Wednesday, I began to notice a squeak from somewhere on the driver's side. Thursday the squeak became a random rattle at low speed. Today it rained, hard, and now I've got an almost constant chorus of rattles, squeaks, and knocks. It's BAD!

Although I technically can't confirm it, because I don't have another good mount to swap in, I'm fairly certain that it's the other KYB strut mount. I jacked up the front end, took off the wheel, and started pulling and banging on things, and double checked that nuts and bolts are torqued. Everything is solid apart from from a wiggle at the top of the strut.

I think tomorrow I might have to go to the dealership and get their price for strut mounts. If they try to charge me $125 for one, I'll have to decide whether I can live with the noise for a couple weeks if I order from TRDSparks. I don't think I'll have time to fix anything Mother's Day weekend.
Good luck getting one that cheap. Where I live, they wanted around $140 for one side.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-25-2018 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2018, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Suburban
Bad to worse.

I was hoping coming to the thread I’d get reasonably priced mount options smh. Not so much. I hit a pothole and am experiencing squeaking from the mount replacement and I guess I’ll have to go through the dealer as well. Smh