Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD lowering Springs and Sway Bars NOISE in the BACK

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:12 AM

Default TRD lowering Springs and Sway Bars NOISE in the BACK

So I installed a set of TRD lowering springs and the TRD front and rear sway bars a few days ago. I was lucky enough to have one of my friends who works at Toyota give me a hand (in the toyota shop). Everything seamed to go together just fine, but when I got on the road with the car I noticed a clank coming from the rear end when I hit bigger bumps. I took the car back to the shop a few days later and we put it on the rack. Turns out the rear sway bar is bottoming out on the control arm (both sides are doing this).

We went back thru the instructions and can not seem to find anything we did wrong. The techs all think that the springs look very weird (as do I) when they are compressed. Seams like the top of the coils are way to close together.

Here is a picture of the springs loaded

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 4157
Size:  52.1 KB

And here is a picture of the unloaded springs where you can see the sway bar has been rubbing.

Name:  photocopy.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  44.3 KB

The TRD sway bar comes with 4 sets of bushings for the link arms. At first we just used a top and bottom, but they we decided to put 2 on the top to see if that would bring the sway bar up off the control arm. It seemed to be OK for a day or two, but then the noise came back.

Has anyone done the Sway Bars and drop? Pictures and advice from those who have would be great! Would really like to get this car riding back to normal soon as I drive it A LOT. If I can't find out something soon I will have to reinstall the stock springs again (which I do not want to do).

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 AM

I also need to add that the second time we had it on the rack we took one the rear springs off just to confirm we didn't instal it up side down. The spring will only fit into the boots one way so it would be extremely hard (at least looks that way) to do it backwards.

Wish this wasn't the first TC2 TRD springs my Toyota dealer.

Anyone in Chicago have either of these parts on there car? Where did you have it done?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hit up 1stOne. He works for Scion and has both the TRD springs and sways on his tC2.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you need to have your dealer call Toyota USA and speak to them about this issue. I have had my springs and sways installed since about July 2011 and have had zero issues other than squeaks from the bushings (urethane will do that).

If you are bottoming out, your having an issue of some sort. It could be product or installation related. I'm not going to point the finger of blame, but others here with both installed have not had the issues you speak off...myself included.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Yes I know there is a problem with the parts or install, but since I did the install I can't just tell Toyota to fix it. I have a few friends who are Tech's for toyota who have no clue why this is an issue. They think everything looks fine. This is the reason I was hoping someone could post a few pictures of there setup so we can see if mine looks remotely similar. To me these springs look extremely wrong. The top coils seem to be way to close together giving them little to no room to play. Do they look correct to any of you?

1stOne - did you use the factory end links on your install or did you purchase new ones. As I have said in my previous post I feel the factory links are too short once the car is lowered.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you said that you don't think they are upside-down, but that's really what it seems like. Every picture I have seen of springs on this car (including the Eibach Sportlines on mine) have the coils closer together at the bottom instead of the top.

Name:  IMAG0018.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  205.0 KB

If you say that's the only way they fit on, would it be possible that by some crazy chance you have the wrong springs?...maybe ones for the tC1? Just throwing ideas out there.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 PM

I'm going to get the car on a lift tomorrow. The only possibility could be that the boot on the top and bottom got flipped on the install therefor the spring would only fit up side down. I will check it out. That is the main reason I am looking for pictures (exactly like the one you posted) of the TRD spring installed. Would confirm if it is installed facing the right direction.

As for being the wrong spring the fronts fit perfect so I doubt they would have messed up giving me the right front's and wrongs backs in the same box. Also manual does say 2011 TC on it.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen photos of another member's TRDs installed with his car on the ground. They look like mine, with the coils closer at the bottom. Unfortunately, he is no longer a member and has removed the photos of his car from this forum.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 PM

Well that gives me a starting point tomorrow. Thanks man. Will see if I can get them flipped.

Still hoping one of the dozen of you on this site with the TC2 Springs has a picture they can post!!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by soundworksdan
Yes I know there is a problem with the parts or install, but since I did the install I can't just tell Toyota to fix it. I have a few friends who are Tech's for toyota who have no clue why this is an issue. They think everything looks fine. This is the reason I was hoping someone could post a few pictures of there setup so we can see if mine looks remotely similar. To me these springs look extremely wrong. The top coils seem to be way to close together giving them little to no room to play. Do they look correct to any of you?

1stOne - did you use the factory end links on your install or did you purchase new ones. As I have said in my previous post I feel the factory links are too short once the car is lowered.
Yes, I'm using the factory links.

Here's an old photo of my first tC with the TRD springs installed:

As you can see, they are wound at the top. That's part of the springs being progressive.

My only guess (and this is just a guess) is that you installed the sways wrong. Did you tighten everything when the suspension was loaded or unloaded? The suspension on the car must be completely loaded when tightening up the sway bars. If you do it while the suspension is hanging (say on jack stands or a hoist), the sway bars may not sit properly in the bushings and will cause adverse handling issues. This is my guess and its only because it is a common mistake made with sway bar installations.

But also check the springs. I can't remember now, but I think the rear springs have to be clocked in a specific direction for proper installation. Consult the install instructions again and look at the little details.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 PM

Thanks 1stOne. That actually helps. I DID NOT tighter the bar when on the ground, it was done in the air. As for the spring being inverted looks like mine are installed the correct way. Tighter coils on the top. Wish it was like some other TRD springs I have done that say TOP. haha
Old 01-04-2012, 10:38 PM

Another question on the sway bar. Anyone know why they send the rear with 4 rear cushions and 4 rear cushion retainers for the end links? The directions don't mention how you are supposed to use all 4 and the stock only uses 2 of each.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Isn't there writing on the springs? Sounds silly, but that's the way I've always based which way to go. If the writing is right-side up, then you're good.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks 1stOne. That actually helps. I DID NOT tighter the bar when on the ground, it was done in the air. As for the spring being inverted looks like mine are installed the correct way. Tighter coils on the top. Wish it was like some other TRD springs I have done that say TOP. haha
Well, this sounds like your problem.

Here's a quick little quote from Hotchkis (no, Hotchkis does not make the TRD bars for those wondering...) about sway bar installation error from there FAQ:

Q) My Audi sway bars will not fit! I have got the car on jack stands what do I do?

Answer: You need to have your car on a four point lift. The suspension needs to be loaded as if the car was on the ground for Audi sway bars to fit properly.
Bars need to be loaded before everything is buttoned up (on the bars that is). This is likely why they are hitting.

Another question on the sway bar. Anyone know why they send the rear with 4 rear cushions and 4 rear cushion retainers for the end links? The directions don't mention how you are supposed to use all 4 and the stock only uses 2 of each.
The instructions don't specifically say, but they do show it in one of the images (figure 3-2 in the instructions).

Basically it should follow this form:

Retainer, cushion, control arm, cushion, retainer, lock nut (from top to bottom).

Check that you have it installed correctly and also check your torque specs. Over tightening the nut at the bottom could compress the cushions more than they should be and ultimately drag the bar down into the control arm.

Every little bit counts, so just retrace your steps. You'll get it!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:33 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Will look into all this tomorrow!
Old 02-01-2015, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

sorry to revive this old thread, but did you get yours fixed? is it still compressed up on top?

thanks
Old 02-03-2015, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's just a clang sound it's a common issue. Trd rear coils hit eachother. You need isolators. Some rubber house will work.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well.. I got my answer on why TRD sways were discontinued in Canada