Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD Sway Bar issue? Discontinued?

Old 09-21-2013, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by disaster06 View Post
I have Eibachs and have the same problem. I think Eibach may make them for TRD. I think they did the TRD Lowering springs.

If I remember right, I saw something about putting plumbers tape around the bars to stop the squeak, I will have to find that again.

My squeak is only on the right side.
Haven't got any issues with my Eibachs yet. Hopefully not. Front is approx 2000km since installed and rear is 8000km.

Grease bombed the hell out of em.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info. The car is back from the dealership and they somehow managed to get it to stop squeaking. They didn't tell me what they did but the paperwork says they, "Re-torqued all suspension hardware, Lubricated all bushings and joints. Resetted springs. Road tested all ok at this time." Car does not squeek at all now. It does feel different however. I can't tell if its better or worse but it does feel like the tail would be a bit more prone to coming around. I checked and the bar is in the middle setting as it was before I brought it in. I could just be paranoid. I'm just happy it doesn't squeak anymore and hopefully it stays that way. The install instructions for the swaybars are on TRDSparks.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was having similar problems several months ago. In the spring, I used the teflon tape and regreased. I haven't heard a peep since. Because I added zerk fittings, I'll probably shoot a little grease in there every oil change just in case.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The car started to ____ing squeak again. I am VERY annoyed. I want to just have the stock front swaybar put back in. The better handling is not worth the awful noise. I am not sure how others have had no noises from the bars.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thermos2003 View Post
I was having similar problems several months ago. In the spring, I used the teflon tape and regreased. I haven't heard a peep since. Because I added zerk fittings, I'll probably shoot a little grease in there every oil change just in case.
Hey Thermos, how did you do this? Did you go right through the steel plate that has the 4 screws that cover the bushing? You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you? I saw on some other forums people found zerk kits at harbor freight, id this what you used?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2013, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow a teflon tape fix? that's very smart! the squeaks we hear is just the nature of the polyurethane rubbing against the steel sways and the steel housing (above the sways). this will ALWAYS happen, especially when grease wears off. so normally you will have to take the sways apart again (just the bushing part, but still a _____ to get to) and re-grease every once in a while. some people have gotten real lucky and have not had to do it for a year or more. I was one of the more unlucky ones and my front started to squeak just after 2 weeks. rear was fine. (I wish i never installed the front >_<)

I wish i knew or thought about the teflon fix before. Also what does the zerk fitting do for the bushings? if it feeds the grease, wouldn't you still have a problem because that grease can't go anywhere - the bushing hugs the steel bar so tight that there is no space when it's all bolted up?

I eventually just sold my sways because i hated the noise. they do improve handling a lot though.

The noise is always from not enough grease being in the right spots. I even bought an extra 32oz tube of it just to over-grease it from the get go but somehow all of it got squeezed out in the front sways after 2 weeks. lame.

That is the only reason they discontinue this sway bar set. Because people don't know how to grease it correctly. and it's not super easy either to get it right. you have to put on a TON like someone in this thread said. the bushings suck, you can't even inject grease into them for easy maintenance. other cars will have much better sway bar bushing systems than our car

So to anyone who bought the sway bars, i recommend you grease them super well, even get extra grease if you want. Also use only the back sway bar since that one makes the most handling difference anyway. the front doesn't do much and i think might be more prone to drying out.

I commend all the guys on here who had their on from day 1 and have not heard any issues. I wish I was like you :D
Old 11-08-2013, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Hey I think I'm the guy who bought those sway bars from you! I was worried about the the squeaking too but I got lucky and stumbled onto a Lexus forum that showed me the Teflon trick. Along with greasing the crap out of it they also pointed out that the type of grease is important too. Make sure you're using a silicone base grease because the white lithium or general purpose grease is oil based and will eat away at the bushings causing them to wear out prematurely and squeak.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I always used silicone based grease on mine only, but i guess i just didn't grease the front enough. I spent so much time on it too

How are you liking those sways? They're really nice right?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Yeah I always used silicone based grease on mine only, but i guess i just didn't grease the front enough. I spent so much time on it too

How are you liking those sways? They're really nice right?
They're freaking amazing! Haha definitely made a difference!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by disaster06 View Post
Hey Thermos, how did you do this? Did you go right through the steel plate that has the 4 screws that cover the bushing? You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you? I saw on some other forums people found zerk kits at harbor freight, id this what you used?

Thanks
Yes drilled right through the metal plate and the bushing. I made a groove around the inside of the bushing with a dremel to allow the grease a path all the way around the bar. Alone, the grease fittings didn't eliminate the problem, with Teflon tape wrapped around the bar, and the fittings, I haven't heard a peep from them in almost a year. You may be able to skip the fittings and just try wrapping with Teflon and hand greasing. That may be enough.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question Sway Bars?

http://www.fastscions.com/2011-2012-...82101.320.aspx
Are these really worth it, running trd springs I dont want issues and can i DIY this with average tools?
Old 03-06-2014, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wrelkin123 View Post
http://www.fastscions.com/2011-2012-...82101.320.aspx
Are these really worth it, running trd springs I dont want issues and can i DIY this with average tools?
It's worth it if you are going to be driving the car hard into corners all the time. For a daily drive around town, probably not.

I Just ordered a set of these and the sportline springs for my '14 but I plan on tracking my car aswell as daily drive. Worth it for me, may not be for you, you did not provide enough information for me to give you a good answer.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I live handling no tracking just dd but still want a nicer quality ride
Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wrelkin123 View Post
I live handling no tracking just dd but still want a nicer quality ride
Sway bars don't give you a smoother ride. It stiffens the ride in the corners, they prevent the car from swaying to one side during hard corners, they do nothing for you in a straight line. It will make you "feel" more of the road the ride will likely be rougher with stiffer springs and sway bars.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay thanks