Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Worth getting Tein Super Street coilovers??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Worth getting Tein Super Street coilovers??

Hey guys,

I have just got my tC back from the shop after having the transmission replaced and i'm itchin' to make some changes! (It was in the shop for a month!!!!)

The first one is going to be the Ptuning turbo kit (on its way ) but my suspension is also getting a bit old now (90,000 miles) so I want to replace it.

My question is this, should I just get replacements or should I splurge a bit and the Tein SS coilovers?
The car is a daily driver, no racing but I want a bit of a smoother ride which Tein claims with their coilovers can deliver.

Thanks in advance!
Arthur
Old 05-25-2014, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If u got the cash go for it. Lowered is nice but you won't get close to the ride quality of lowered + coil overs.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i say do it. i love mine.. and im slammed.. my ride is a little harsh but thats due the fact my rear dampers are broke from prev owner.. i just need to rebuild them and im good. and im slammed. she rides like a champ though.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got the Teins for the tc1 and although I'm not Slammed, I'm maxed. Ride quality is extremely nice, especially when compared to a buddy's tc on Racelands. Performance is also exceptional.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks everyone!

I think i will go ahead and get them this weekend!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not sure what your setup is now but I know when I tried coil overs and from what I have heard of others experience you won't get a "smoother" ride. It will be more bumpy because the whole idea is to improve handing.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just keep in mind ride will NOT be smoother or softer that stock, it will be much stiffer, no matter what anyone tells you.

Tein , like most Japanese made aftermarket coilovers, are not as high of quality as Koni, Moton, etc. Their lowering springs in my opinion are pretty much junk by design, but mainly because they tailor to the slam-it-but-don't-make-my-car-harsher "tooner" crowd

The super sports are pretty nice however, for what they are. I have had the SS-P's for a number of years with lots of autox use. Again, not the quality dampers you will find with Koni or springs the same quality as Hypercoils, but in terms of what is available out of the box for the tC, not too bad. All based on the tC1 in my case. And will be much better quality in the long term than ricelands.

Don't expect linear or super precise damper adjustment, but they do adjust.

Mine have gone through a rebuild and are still on the car. I stopped autocrossing it this year because I bought an S2000 for that, so the tC is back to daily driver duty.

Keep in mind I am rating these based upon actual performance aspects, not slam it and cruise around town stuff.

I don't know about the ones for the tC2 or even what spring rates they use on them so your results may vary.