Notices

Does painting the brake calipers affect the value of my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:03 AM

Default Does painting the brake calipers affect the value of my car?

I plasti dipped my rims black and I would love to get my brake calipers painted red to finish the look. However, I plan on selling my 2011 scion TC in a few years (carmax or a dealership) so I don't want to do anything that will be permanent or anything that could lower the overall value. I have heard that changing things on the original car can decrease the value, would this be the case as well?

Thanks for the help!

P.s - Any idea how much it would cost to get it done professionally?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This won't increase or decrease the value.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would assume that a tasteful mod like this wouldn't hurt the value. However, a terrible execution might.

Honestly, if you're worried about the financial implications of modifying your car, you may as well not do anything. You will never make money on anything you do and everything you buy generally will not be worth what you paid in the end.

Getting them proffessionally powdercoated would run around 200 I would assume. But then you also have the work of taking them all off and dealing with bleeding the system when reinstalling.

My opinion? If you can get past the fact that you will be dumping money into your car that you will never see again, go ahead and buy a nice caliper paint kit. Take your time and It will come out nice. Maybe try something a little less "bright" to reduce the effect the painting will have on future buyers. Black calipers will look a hell of a lot better than the bare metal.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Basebllstar
I would assume that a tasteful mod like this wouldn't hurt the value. However, a terrible execution might.

Honestly, if you're worried about the financial implications of modifying your car, you may as well not do anything. You will never make money on anything you do and everything you buy generally will not be worth what you paid in the end.

Getting them proffessionally powdercoated would run around 200 I would assume. But then you also have the work of taking them all off and dealing with bleeding the system when reinstalling.

My opinion? If you can get past the fact that you will be dumping money into your car that you will never see again, go ahead and buy a nice caliper paint kit. Take your time and It will come out nice. Maybe try something a little less "bright" to reduce the effect the painting will have on future buyers. Black calipers will look a hell of a lot better than the bare metal.

I'll have a look at some kits and maybe try out the black, good idea Thank you so much!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by russiankid
This won't increase or decrease the value.
Thank you!