Notices

Wheel replacement basic questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member

Default Wheel replacement basic questions

I am looking to replace my stock 2012 TC rims with Momo RPM wheels. It appears the Momo RPMs are not available in 18x7.5 with the 5x114.3 lug pattern, so I will need to go with 18x8 rims. From reading other threads, it appears this small increase in width will work well with my stock tires, which are P225/45. After driving a really stiff and uber-low Mini-Cooper S for 5 years, I am enjoying the stock ride with my TC, and don't intend to lower it at this time, and want to use my stock rubber to save money.

If anyone can answer the following questions, I would appreciate the help:

1. What is involved with fitting new TPMS on the new rims? I have heard horror stories about wheel suppliers trashing polished rims with a hack installation of TPMS. Is this best left to the local wheel installer, or possibly just run without TPMS?

2. What is the normal cost to install TPMS on aftermarket wheels?

3. What kind of lugs are needed for aftermarket wheels? I know the stock ones aren't suited for aftermarket wheels and will make a mess of them if used due to the bevels.

4. If I replace my stock rims with the Momo RPMs that are 18x8 with a 40mm offset, I am thinking there should be no fitment issues at all. Is this correct?

Thanks motorheads.

TomCat
Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by TomCat_tC
1. What is involved with fitting new TPMS on the new rims? I have heard horror stories about wheel suppliers trashing polished rims with a hack installation of TPMS. Is this best left to the local wheel installer, or possibly just run without TPMS?
It is just an oversized valve-stem...You might have to buy them on e-bay or at any Toyota Dealer. If they can't install a valve-stem, get your car out of that garage ASAFP!

2. What is the normal cost to install TPMS on aftermarket wheels?
It should be included with the replacement of your wheels...

3. What kind of lugs are needed for aftermarket wheels? I know the stock ones aren't suited for aftermarket wheels and will make a mess of them if used due to the bevels.
It's an M12-1.5 thread...buy them with the wheels...there are different seats available, but 99% are conical.

4. If I replace my stock rims with the Momo RPMs that are 18x8 with a 40mm offset, I am thinking there should be no fitment issues at all. Is this correct?
For handling +38 to +40 is ideal. The closer you are to those offsets, the better your suspension will live. The other very important feature is the hub-centric ring for the wheel... If the wheels don't come with hub-centric rings, don't buy them at any price! Look for other wheels.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member

Default Thanks 2tCorNot2tC

Thanks for your detailed response, which was very helpful. I ordered the rims. TomCat