Notices
Scion xA Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

HID without projectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HID without projectors

Hi All,

I have a question about running HIDs without projectors. I bought my kit before I did more reading about the projectors. So from what I understand there is a lot of glare caused by not using projectors since the beam is not as focused. Since they don't offer projectors for xA's I was wondering if there was a way around this that didn't involved retro fitting some for my xA.

Could I just adjust my headlights to project lower and closer to my vehicle? Would that help from blinding people on the road?

Any useful input is welcomed.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have them in my 07 housing.. non projectors i have never been flashed by any other car and i have been in front of my headlights while driving they didn't blind me
Old 10-13-2009, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It'll happen. I have been flashed a couple times.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you think angling and adjusting the headlights will help? Has anyone tried this to help with blinding people?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spend the extra money and get the tru Bi-Xenon hid kit.
It has shields on the bulb that keep it from producing glare until you hit the hi beams then an electromagnet moves the shield away from the bulb giving you the full effect.
Here is a pic of normal halogen versus tru Bi-Xenon.
Name:  halvshid.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  19.9 KB
Old 10-13-2009, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chrischoi
It'll happen. I have been flashed a couple times.
Its been 2 years whens it going to happen?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:29 AM
Banned

I have Lexus HID's (modified) in my '05's and haven't had any problems. I did angle mine down just a bit but I like them a lot, thinking about eyelids to help w/ the cutoff a little bit. But the bi-xenon would work too
Old 10-13-2009, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2 w/ what SDS stated. Loving my 6000k Bi-xenon's from HIDextra.com. True plug and play. Even the high-beam indicator works. Have heard of some kits that require modification for that. Had to adjust the aim down quite a bit, but that's a tooless operation.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would do the following.
Its what I have in my other car and its the best set up in my opinion for H4 other than a real HID retrofit setup.

1. H4 to D2S adapter
Has a glare shield and accepts D2S bulbs.
2. D2S to AMP adapter
Allows your current kit to connect to the D2S bulb.
3. D2S bulbs
You now have the ability to buy a trusted and dependable brand name bulb from Philips or Osram.

After that, lower the aim a little bit and you're all set.

If all else fails, get yourself a set of nice halogens like the Philips Xtreme Power or the Osram Nightbreakers.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

once i install them im definitely going to angle them down as much as possible, to help lessen the glare issue.

I guess ill have to determine if its bearable that people won't hate me, and if its not bearable i guess i'll have to get rid of em. =\
Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by sdsnybny
Spend the extra money and get the tru Bi-Xenon hid kit.
It has shields on the bulb that keep it from producing glare until you hit the hi beams then an electromagnet moves the shield away from the bulb giving you the full effect.
Here is a pic of normal halogen versus tru Bi-Xenon.
agreed, i am running these in my bB headlights that have not been adjusted for US streets. I went from being flashed at least once a day, to not being flashed at all. you can get the bulbs and the harness from ebay for about $45 shipped and it is so worth it.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After much thinking I have an idea. So as you guys were saying the HID kits with the shields help. So since I already ordered mine and I was cheap about it, I have the h4 low HID and high halogen so I can't go the route with the shield.

So I thought to myself, "Self, you need a shield. Why not make one?". I'm going to try a combo of adjusting my headlights and also using Tin Foil to create a shield. Hypothetically I could just limit the amount of light that is emitted from the bulb by using the tin foil. It will still be brighter than Halogen but I could make it not as bright as the normal HID to help with the glare.

This is probably unheard of, but Tin Foil should work since its melting point is around 1200+ degrees fahrenheit. Let me know what you guys think of this ghetto fix.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

i would just say, put them in, dont adjust anything. see what happens, if you get flashed then adjust them. i dont think its gonna be as bad as you think it will be.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by daneisthegreatest
i would just say, put them in, dont adjust anything. see what happens, if you get flashed then adjust them. i dont think its gonna be as bad as you think it will be.
Thats probably a good idea haha. I think its getting late and my brain is thinking of funny things now. The kit should be here is a couple days, ill let you guys know what i end up doing. Thanks for all the suggestions. =)
Old 10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lost1nceaga1n
After much thinking I have an idea. So as
you guys were saying the HID kits with the shields help. So since I already ordered mine and I was cheap about it, I have the h4 low HID and high halogen so I can't go the route with the shield.

So I thought to myself, "Self, you need a shield. Why not make one?". I'm going to try a combo of adjusting my headlights and also using Tin Foil to create a shield. Hypothetically I could just limit the amount of light that is emitted from the bulb by using the tin foil. It will still be brighter than Halogen but I could make it not as bright as the normal HID to help with the glare.

This is probably unheard of, but Tin Foil should work since its melting point is around 1200+ degrees fahrenheit. Let me know what you guys think of this ghetto fix.
Good Idea but you bought the twin bulb aka hid low and halogen high, you will not be able to shield the hid without blocking the halogen high. the halogen sits on bottom where the shield would have to be to block the top of hid light from causing glare.
Name:  H4hl-254x241.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  6.0 KB
Old 10-13-2009, 04:34 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

halogen bulbs on those things are the suck

cause regular halogen bulbs are brighter then the ones that come on HID/halogen high sets...
Old 10-13-2009, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sdsnybny
Good Idea but you bought the twin bulb aka hid low and halogen high, you will not be able to shield the hid without blocking the halogen high. the halogen sits on bottom where the shield would have to be to block the top of hid light from causing glare.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. The main reason I got this one instead of the bi-xenon was because I rarely use my high beams. Most of my driving now is on the freeways and in the city, unlike before where it would be mainly in areas where I would need high beams.

I would thinking of just blocking out the highs, we'll see though. Definitely going to fine tune them.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any xA's running HIDs (without projectors... meaning everyone but one person)? Sorry i know this is the xb thread but the xa thread doesn't have a aero & exterior anymore.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Plenty are. Just get em and adjust accordingly.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
Plenty are. Just get em and adjust accordingly.
Yeah, I just want to see what they did to adjust. Also is it worst or better with our headlight housing, since they're huge. Anyone?

Quick Reply: HID without projectors