Notices
Scion xA Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Looking for exterior mods to "guy up" my xA.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Looking for exterior mods to "guy up" my xA.

I've had an xA RS 3.0 for a couple of weeks now. When my 15 year old daughter first saw it when I visited her at Christmas her first comment was, "chick car" (I'm a guy). I never really thought of it as a chick car at all. Then 2 women I work with said the same thing. I like the car, but are there a few things I can do to "guy" it up a little?
Old 12-31-2006, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

a drop will help. eyelids will help make it look a little more aggressive up front. a dark wheel. tint.

and a big vinyl on the back that says:

"no it's not a chicks car"
Old 12-31-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

haha agreed. tint, dark wheels, drop... maybe some vinyl tailight/headlight overlays from bluebat_mobile
Old 12-31-2006, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Thanks for the tips. I didn't know where to start.

The irony is that the last car which I had for 8 years was a Corsica and nobody seemed to care what it was--it was just a car. I have not had a car for many years that was worthy of any kind of mods at all, so I am very new to this. Looking over the forums I can see that there are tons of mods and I didn't know where to start so a few good ideas are nice.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

go do a member search for a guy named "blue_batmobile"... he makes vinyl overlays for our scions. i have some of his stuff on my tC and its nice. his prices are very reasonable too
Old 12-31-2006, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Body kit.... I get the same thing in the PW

The redesign makes these cars smile at you from both front and rear make that car look happy overall.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do this :D Viola! Chick car no more.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

that last one needs foglights to fill those holes!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Is there a "Scion Mods for Dummies"? Cause I coul

I don't think I have ever modded any car and my recent ones were not worth messing with. The cars look great, but they have so much. I really need 1 good point to start with and I am thinking probably tinting. Other than that I don't know how much I would want to do until after the Wisconsin winter is over. My other problem is that I have no talent to do things myself (Dirty Harry said a man has to know his limitations and I know mine) and neither do I have a place to do it. Also, I do have the RS 3.0 with the Stingray Blue color and although it does look to be a little different color depending upon the light, it is not a bold color. Plus, already having the Kenstyle and having paid for it I don't want to dump it in favor of something else.

Is there a website or somewhere which explains about modding? I do get the ghist of some of the things being mentioned, but am not sure of others. Since I cannot do most of the things myself, who would you get to do it? The dealer?
Thanks for the ideas. I would love to do everything at once, but I need to start with a few small steps or two.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

check in the regional forums and make some friends that live close to you. someone will know someone that can help you out

a graphics setup will look nice too. I prefer paint vs vinyl, but hey, there are some nice vinyls out there. have someone that you know that's artistic draw something up for you or just keep searching around for examples of what other people have done.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i definatly recomend lowering springs, or coilovers first! changes the whole attitude of the car. that any local shop shoul dbe able to do.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

hehe i just remembered that i had this on my photobucket-

make your xA do this

Old 01-01-2007, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just so you do know i did read somwehere that the xa was supposed to be the vehicle marketed towards guys with the more masculine lines the car has. so don't let them tell you its a chick car. i'm sure you could lower the car yourself or find friends on here to help you lower it. that really does make a big change in its appearance. also you may wanna hit up the www.xateam.com site for some other views of xas there. they also have an release series registiry started to try to figure out where they all ended up.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:13 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Hey, hey!! Chic here. In my opinion if someone views your car as a chic car then that's how they're going to see it. As long as you're feeling it then so be it, there's plenty of guys with this car. I think the reason it's viewed as a chic car is because it's small and that my friend is hard to change (and expensive). But as far as your question....

This is what I would do: tint, coilovers, rims, eyebrows, and a two-tone paint job.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lil_LEX_24O
Hey, hey!! Chic here. In my opinion if someone views your car as a chic car then that's how they're going to see it. As long as you're feeling it then so be it, there's plenty of guys with this car. I think the reason it's viewed as a chic car is because it's small. But as far as your question....

This is what I would do: tint, coilovers, rims, eyebrows, and a two-tone paint job.
Apparently there are also a lot of old people with the car too, but I'm not ready for that yet. You are right about the small comment, but the car is small, so what can you do. By asking if they thought it was a chick car I do think that I prejudiced the answer. My daughter was the only one who said it was a chick car on her own. On another noncar forum somebody said it looked like a ___ car, a little butch (not that there is anything wrong with that, but I'm not there either). I will start with a tint, but I doubt I will ever do a two-tone paint job.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

agreed. your car is a guy's car because it's yours.

however, i like all the suggestions as well. keep the kenstyle lip, that's awesome.

do a drop, but the lowest you can go with springs (tanabe df210) is 2", maybe not enough for the xA. coilovers are nice becasue they are adjustable, and you can go much deeper.

wheels: get some really aggressive wheels for cheap. sportmax 002 black with polished lip are very affordable, 8" wide with a 0 offset, so the fittment would be similar to the red one psycho posted. they are smaller (dia) than those, tho.

how bout an exhaust? the 5zigen axleback is nice and throaty, and has a modestly large tip (2"?)

eyebrows and tint would be fairly quick and easy wins.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cherryBox
agreed. your car is a guy's car because it's yours.

however, i like all the suggestions as well. keep the kenstyle lip, that's awesome.

do a drop, but the lowest you can go with springs (tanabe df210) is 2", maybe not enough for the xA. coilovers are nice becasue they are adjustable, and you can go much deeper.

wheels: get some really aggressive wheels for cheap. sportmax 002 black with polished lip are very affordable, 8" wide with a 0 offset, so the fittment would be similar to the red one psycho posted. they are smaller (dia) than those, tho.

how bout an exhaust? the 5zigen axleback is nice and throaty, and has a modestly large tip (2"?)

eyebrows and tint would be fairly quick and easy wins.
Thanks for the suggestions, although some of it is Greek to me since I have never done any mods on anything. I'll start with the tint. I think that a few touches should do the trick. Also, my supply of funds is not unlimited.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

could you tell me which of it is greek, so i can explain a bit more?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cherryBox
could you tell me which of it is greek, so i can explain a bit more?
I understand about the drop, the wheels, and the exhaust, but it is the details about them which are Greek to me. I don't know what all of the terms mean or what they are.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

do the tint, its about approximately $150 depending on shop. might want to look into some vinyls, but only for the windows. no vinyls on the paint as some can destroy the paint. those won't be too expensive. do a search for body mods and get an idea of other xA owners have done. at the end of day, its your car and you should be happy with it not what others say.

so far nobody has said to me my xA is a chick car. I've only recieved compliments.

Quick Reply: Looking for exterior mods to "guy up" my xA.