2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Any Newbie Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Any Newbie Advice?

I am new to the car scene and wanted to know where everyone began when customizing their cars.

All I ever had before my Xa were point-a-to-point-b type of cars that I neither chose nor fully had a passion for.

While I have always had a deep-seeded appreciation for customising and even racing vehicles, this is the first time I have ever had a new, exciting, car that really fit me and that I could afford to mold to my personality.

But where to start?

Any ideas, suggestions?

Do's and don'ts?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. lower it (please shoot me a pm, I have something that can help you out )
2. shop for rims.
3 go to http://www.xatuner.com and join the xA owners in tuning topics about our cars.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do whatever you like and dont worry about what anyone else thinks. there are so many of these cars customized in 1000 different ways so anything you do will be pretty cool.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member

Get those windows tinted straight away! It took me a week to get mine to the shop and I was going crazy with all the clear glass letting in all the car lights (no auto-dim mirror). I went with 15% on the rear sides and hatch, and 35% on the front two. The rear still blinds me at night and the side mirrors do as well. I think I'll be going with 20% in the front two and a light 50% ont he windshield. Yes, all highly illegal but I am in LA and have a BSP so I think I should be ok.

Next, lower that bad boy. I did the TRD springs and now kinda wish I went a touch lower with the Tein S. I'm getting Motegi RT5s in a few weeks so I'll see what's what then with the springs.

Sorry for the rambling, Tint, Lowering Springs, rims, and maybe floormats! haha
Old 10-19-2006, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you would be a complete moron to tint the windshield.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

^^agreed

just have fun with it, dont rice it out, and make it your own, we cant tell you what to do, it is all one you. Have fun and make her shine!
Old 10-19-2006, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Tinted windows was enough for me - as much as I'd like to get nice rims, the plastic hubcaps suffice for now - I'd rather throw $$$ into my 325i than my Xa.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by awdisuzu
you would be a complete moron to tint the windshield.
While not the sharpest tool in the box, I'm not a "complete moron". A 50% tint is hardy recognized and will eliminate a lot of night time glare, which is when I have an hour drive home on the LA freeways. As a SoCaler you know how difficult it is at night on our freeways with the real "complete" morons drive with their highbeams on or their HID lights that slice right thru the clear glass shields.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

1. Do not listen to the xB owners when tehy say you made mistake. I got rid of mine for an xA and think I was nuts to ever think teh xB was the better choice.

2. lower!

3. Get kick butt JDM wheels, decide you dont like them, buy a different set and sell me the Work Equip 3's you didnt like for 300 bucks shipped. (i figured it might be worth a try, newbies are impressionable.)

4. Do what feels right to you. No one else has to like it or agree with you. Its yours and you should enjoy it however you want!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Wow! You guys rock! I def want to get a short shift ****, it would just feel better.

Tinting is a good plan too, I will make my appt for that as well. Although since I live in VA, I will NOT be getting the windshield done! Thats asking for trouble around here! ;-)

I went and saw a nice set of rims yesterday, used, but still in good condition, and the price was right, so that should be done as well. They are 17". I know they would fit my car, but what other specs do I need to find out? (Man I sound like a newb...sorry)

As for lowering, I have a lot to learn, so that might be a month or so before I can really get into that. After all, I have a budget too!

But first...Lids! Yes, I LOVE them. I know they can be done a couple ways, but how does one go about really customizing them? I want to make them uniquely mine.

Man! Thanx for all the help guys! I really appreciate it! Makes me feel good about going into this! Keep the advice coming!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get an intake...either a short ram or CAI... Dress up that engine bay... be proud when you open the hood!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by waupaca11
a light 50% ont he windshield. Yes, all highly illegal but I am in LA and have a BSP so I think I should be ok.
yeah it's highly illegal to tint the windshield.. you can't even tint the two front windows. i got pulled over three times for having the front windows tinted they're 50% but that was at west covina area or city of industry where cops are always on the lookout for street racers. i live close to south central so cops don't really care. they'd rather bust gang bangers than give citacions. plus, i'm always in my uniform so it always ends up in a warning.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats the beauty of it all when it comes to modding: you can be totally different and do your own flavor to it. sure others can help you for advice but ultimately it rests on your shoulders. so do whatever you like and be happy heh
Old 10-27-2006, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Finalizing My MOD List!

Okay! To all of you, thanx once again! Here is where I am:

1. Wheels-17"-18" I have seen some sweet 17s, so I am leaning in that direction, but there are some nice deals on 18s out there I still must consider. Time: 1month (budget)

2. Short Shift ****-Simple, just have to find the one I like the best. Anyone have any reccomendations? Pics? Thanx. Time: 1week

3. Strut bar-Front end, can anyone give me some pointers on this? There are so many to choose from. But I am pretty sure I need one that is a solid piece, and those run 80-90 more than the others. Time: 2 weeks

4. Lids-Yes, I do want lids for my girl. I love them. No other reason than that. Time: 1week

5. Spoiler and Fin Antenna-Although not terribly expensive, there are a few things I would like to do with that money first. But I DO want them! Time: 2months

6. Tint-Darkest legally here. I'm not going to push it. I think it will look sweet. Time: 1 month

7. Suspension and Sway Bars-This is a pricy mod, it is going to take me the longest to complete. I want to do this all at once, as opposed to dropping it now, and adding the suspension later. Guess I have to be patient on this one. Any recommendations? Time: 3-4months

8. Intake (CAI)-This will probably be my last mod within the 6month budget I am working with. I have heard both good and so-so things about the cai, so I will get more feedback before I go through with it completely. Time: 5-6months

So there you have it! I might have a few changes here and there, and would still appreciate any input from you veterans out there. But I think my schedule works. Thanx all!

XaMishy
Old 10-27-2006, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW!!!! That is apretty agressive schedule!!!!

I just spent 2 months debating on putting an LED in the recirc slide in the dash....
Old 10-27-2006, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

LOL! The only reason I can afford it to be so aggressive is because my Xmas bonus and tax return come within a couple months of one another! ;-)

But keep in mind, I have had her since Aug 5th and there are NO mods yet...she's achin!
Old 10-27-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just treat her nice.....hehehehe

Good luck and enjoy every step you take...
Old 10-27-2006, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

well...i've got the injen CAI. the first night i put it in i tested it out and took an si no problem. and it's the only performance mod i have. i know an si shouldn't be that intimidating, but still...it felt good.

unfortunately, a few months later i needed new treads, and the only size available was a little larger in diameter than what stock is...so, it brought me back down to what i was driving (the tire size cancelled out what the intake did).

sorry for rambling...i do have a good question though...
as far as an exhaust goes...what's a good one? i've heard the trd one is best because they have a spring for backflow, and that many of the aftermarket exhaust systems don't have this.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

thanx manatee!

emokid, I have to be honest, I am not too familiar with exhausts (read-such a newb) but from what I have gathered, other than aesthetics, it doesn't serve too much purpose on an Xa unless you install turbo. But again...newb talking heresay here.

BTW, what is an si?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the si kill, emo....I have a standing agreement with a Mini Cooper S that I see about 3 times a week going to/from work.... we are about even after 10 runs.

As far as the exhaust q...with what little gain any exhaust gives 2-5 hp it mainly boils down to what you think sounds best. You have enuff backpressure with the cats and silencers. Mess with that too much and you get engine management problems...

Quick Reply: Any Newbie Advice?