Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Attach magnetic phone holder pad to xA ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member

Default Attach magnetic phone holder pad to xA ?

Has anyone found a way to attach this to xA ?

"Universal Magnetic cell phone holder pad"
http://www.tangshop.com/magnetic-cell-phone-holder.html

The reason I ask is because the plastic surface on the dashboard on xA is not
smooth like other cars so I was unable to stick the pad onto it. It keeps on falling
off and once it falls off the double-sided tape on the holder is no longer sticky.

I tried to stick it onto the half-inch wide plastic area between the stereo and the CD
compartment because the cell phone has to be easily reachable while I drive. I know
I can stick the pad onto the smooth plastic cover of the CD compartment but you
have to look down too much to see the cell phone while driving so it's not safe.

Anyone found a good place to stick this pad onto ? Could you post pics if you have
done so ? I know there are other holders such as vent-mount and windshield-mount
but I really like this pad to work if I can. I have been using this pad on my other car
just fine and I can keep the cell phone just to the right of the steering wheel while I
drive.

I might look into a windshield-mount if this pad doesn't work. Does the Arkon 9"
suction cup mount allow the phone to be placed just to the right of the steering wheel
so I can see the phone withotu looking down too much while I drive ?

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Old 08-23-2005, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll have to post some pics for you of what I did. I got an extra holster for my Samsung flip-phone and adapted it to my xA.

I used a dremmel tool to remove the clip and stud from the back so that it is flat now. Then I used adhesive-backed velcro to attach it in the center console area just behind the e-brake. Now, I can just snap the phone in and out real quick. It holds the phone firmly into place, and I can even use my hands-free headset with it while it's in there.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another thing you could do is go to target or something and get yourself some 3M Scotch mounting squares. What they are are these little foam pads with adhesive on both sides. The foam actually fills in the little bumps on the XA dash, and you can cut them to size so that the edges dont stick out. They're rated to hold up to 1lb per square, so they're probably your best bet. They shouldnt cost more than $4
Old 08-24-2005, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for sharing the idea for the Samsung holster. I prefer the phone on top where it's safe to be used while driving then mounting it at the bottom near the console. But regardless I appreciate your posting.

I didn't know the 3M tape can actually fill the little bumps on xA plastic. I'll give this a try. But first I need to replace the holder - should have kept it but I threw it away since it was no longer sticky. Does anyone know where I can get the holder in a local B&M store instead of ordering it online ? I have visited various cell phone stores and RadioShack but couldn't find any. BTW Thanks cackleman for this idea.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for this post. I happen to have the exact same phone, and whenever my xA comes in, I'll try out your instructions.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only problem I can see with the way I did mine, is that on a 2006 model, I believe the iPod connection
port is right in the spot where I attached the modified belt holster. You may have to find a different location to
mount it, but the holster would still be a good way to do it. It holds it rock-solid.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are some pics of what I did:

Like I said, while the phone is in there, I can use my hands-free boom mic with the phone too.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member

Originally I tried to mount the sticky holder at this spot marked "Right Here" :

This is ideal as I can press keys on the phone while keeping an eye on the road without looking down too much. But there just isn't enough room there. Plus if the phone is opened it will block the volume control. And I just can't find a suitable smooth spot anywhere in the above picture.

anyone found a good spot somewhere to the right of steering wheel to mount your phone ?

thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

personally, I didnt actually "mount" the phone, persay. what I actually did is go to walgreens, spend about $4 on a little neoprene bag that came with a little mounting hook and I put it next to the steering wheel. It's not as practical as leaving it open ON the dash as you seem to be trying to do, but for me, its good enough. All I do is reach inside, flip it open and start talking.

If you like it but cant find it in your local stores, let me know. I'll ship it out to you.

*edit*
Heh, you can actually see little bits of the 3M mounting pad foam along the edges of the mounting pad. I got lazy and did a shoddy job cutting it to size