Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Brand New ScionXA Totaled, Car Accident, Pics

Old 09-25-2004, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default Brand New ScionXA Totaled, Car Accident, Pics

Hi guys,
You may have seen a couple of my posts before, saying that I was planning on buying an XA. The reason why I wanted it was because I've got two sports cars (porsche turbo, mustang cobra, Lexus430), all requiring premium and get crappy gas mileage.

I took a look at the ScionXA and thought it was a pretty awesome little car. If I recall correctly the 5speed XA gets 31-39mpg.

I wanted a 5-speed Phantom Gray XA, it took me over a month to find one in my location (so. CA), but I finally did. On 9/15 I paid for and picked up my brand new XA 5speed in phantom gray, TRD seats, short shifter kit....

On 9/16 I was driving the car on Thousand Oaks Blvd. (Thousand Oaks, CA, 93021, 805 area code). I consider myself a good driver, never had any accidents of any kind, whatsoever. Thousand Oaks Blvd. is an extremely busy, long road, two lanes going each direction and a center divider (by center divider I am referring to the section in the center of the road used to pull into to make a left turn, not a wall dividing the traffic).

So I'm driving in lane 1 on TO blvd., and to safely put it I was going about 35, in a 35 zone. There were no intersections or lights in front of me, so I'm just driving along in lane 1, and suddenly to my right I see a red sedan barely sticking out of a private driveway on the right side of the road (not signaling or creeping out, not inclining that he would possibly be thinking about crossing our lanes of traffic).

Very suddenly this red sedan hits the gas, pulling out directly in front of my brand new XA, being that he pulled out so close and so fast, there was no way to avoid him. I barely had time to hit the brakes, and T boned the red sedan. Below is a quick picture I drew in MSpaint so you can picture what happened.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v421/D...t=accident.bmp

When my XA made contact with his car, I was knocked unconscious, don't know if it was because of the impact or the airbag hitting my face, but when I came out of it the fire dept. was there, bloody nose, cut on my head that was bleeding, my neck was sore, and most of all I had severe pain in my lower back.

My practically 1day old 40 mile ScionXA was totalled, the front bumper crunched, fenders, drivers side door, headlight, the steel frame of the engine basically snapped, the front of the engine was damaged, airbags went off ($2500 for the airbags alone), and the suspension was severely damaged. Both front wheels were bent. Tires wrecked.

Because there was a witness and it was obvious the accident was the other driver's fault, and based on the statements made to the police by myself and the other driver (The other driver admitted he was in the wrong), the police repot should show that the accident was his fault. I had nowhere to go, no time to stop, he pulled out in front of me , and obviously didn't check for oncoming traffic. Apparently it always takes a while for the police reports to come out.

After Xrays and MRI's it was determined I have a severe fracture in my spine, they are calling it a pars fracture. The break is in L5 in my lower back and is a considerably large, being that there is a pretty good sized gap. Because my vertibre and disk are moving around because of the break, and I am in pretty severe pain, I have been referred to an orthapedic surgeon who should be able to operate and fix the problem.

My insurance company (will keep unnamed for now) is ready to pay me what I paid for the Scion, including tax and license, and Mercury will also pay my claim for the medical bills I have had since the accident. They will pay this immediately. My insurance company will then go to the other responsible drivers insurance company, and get the money back that they had to give to me. This will not be a dispute between the companies.

Once the official police report comes out (it has been made clear that I am seriously injured), the other driver's insurance company may (I have been told for sure they will) come to me with a settlement, to cover medical bills and pain and suffering, based on my injuries, as I have been told.

Because I am young, and the injury will most likely be a problem for the rest of my life, and when the police report shows what happened, it sounds like we will be getting a quite large compensation for my medical bills and pain and suffering, I'm going to need physical therapy, most likely surgury, and will be in a ton of pain along the way. It will be a problem for the rest of my life.

That's pretty much it, below is a picture of the ScionXA after the accident.

Old 09-25-2004, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Default wow

that's crazy.....dang...stupid drivers don't think they can kill someone or themselves glad to hear that you are able to type talk and walk...man hope you get better (p.s rip them )
Old 09-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Banned
SL Member

Is it me or is that xA left hand drive?
Old 09-25-2004, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member

The image got flipped, US car. I know what you mean, it's just a goofy angle.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sucks
Old 09-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Banned
SL Member

the bad part is your insurance will now go up even if it the others fault, and you will have a claim on file for 3 years.....

hope you feel better.....
Old 09-26-2004, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member

fixed pic....

Old 09-26-2004, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cybergypsy

His insurance will not be affected by this claim. His insurance will subrogate the claim back to the other drivers insurance company.

California is not a shared risk state.

What value did your post have under the circumstances? Are you trying to kick this guy when he is already down?

Think before posting!
Old 09-26-2004, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man that sucks. Hope everything goes good. Are you waiting to see if they will call it totaled? If they do, or have are you going to get another xA?
Old 09-26-2004, 12:43 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: Cybergypsy

Originally Posted by elwood58
His insurance will not be affected by this claim. His insurance will subrogate the claim back to the other drivers insurance company.

California is not a shared risk state.

What value did your post have under the circumstances? Are you trying to kick this guy when he is already down?

Think before posting!
Not at all, after all he will get a new car, and a hefty check, here in Fl the claim, any claim goes against you....forgot each state has their own rules...
Old 09-26-2004, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

poor xA and hope your alright.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member

The car has been declared totaled by the adjustor. The main problem is the damage to the engine, you can't really see it under the hood, not a very good picture. The suspension is ruined as well, everything adds up.

I am aware that I need to be careful with what I say.

I will say this.

Clearly the accident was the other drivers fault, I was not responsible in any way, neither fully or partially. My insurance rates will not go up. The other driver's insurance company will cover my insurance company for the money they gave me to replace my car, and to cover my medical bills.

I was unofficially told by my insurance company that the responsible drivers insurance company will come to me and offer a settlement, based on the extent of my injuries, my age, and potential medical bills pain/suffering in the future. A friend who happens to be a lawyer told me that when the insurance company offers the first settlement, they will end up lowballing you, trying to get you to accept the money so they are not responsible for any bills in the future (this would be the other driver's insurance company).

At that point I could fight it out on my own, if the settlement does not seem reasonable, or hire a lawyer and either have him form some sort of a more reasonable settlement, or take the issue to court.

I have and will be in serious pain for a long time, I have a large break in L5 in my back, and the disk is slipping, I am having nerve pain going down my legs. I have an immediate appointment with an orthapedic surgeon on Tuesday, who may very well tell me that he needs to operate, put in a plate to keep the bones together and the disk in place.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by chucksu
Man that sucks. Hope everything goes good. Are you waiting to see if they will call it totaled? If they do, or have are you going to get another xA?
The XA handled the accident well. When I bought it I was told they had not yet been safety tested, I guess you could say I safety tested the Scion XA very well.

The driver and passenger side compartments remained intact, the car crunched, like it should, absorbing the impact, to keep the driver safe.

However, I have sustained substantial injuries, but I think I would've had the same injuries in a ford focus, or any other car for that matter.

And yes, I am going to buy another XA.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DarkTimmy:
Wow ...... The twin xAs of Twin Peaks wish you the best of health. We hope that everything works out to your maximum benefit.