2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Daytime Running Lights

I searched the forum without results, so that I am wandering if anyone bothered to install a Daytime Running Lights on XA'06?

I know that Vehicles equipped with Daytime Running Lights as standard equipment could earn a discount on insurance, as well as they looks great.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i never heard of that discount before, but daytime running lights install? what would be the difference? i mean, you can just drive around durring the day with your headlights on anyway, that is what i do with my tc, especially since it has automatic off headlights.

i'd like to know where you heard this daytime running light discount, sounds kinda made up to me. i know you get discounts for like having lojack and other security systems on a car, good student, military, discounts for living less than 10 miles from work, but this i the first i've heard of daytime running lights being discounted.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look here http://www.geico.com/auto/sales/discounts.htm
The problem is to be eligible, the lights should turn on automatically with the ignition.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, that isn't a popular modification, it can be done, no doubt about it, you just need to find somebody who knows how to say wire it to the ignition switch or something. but it wouldnt' be worth it.

i guess i should try that with the tc though, since i leave the lights on 24/7, and they turn on and off with the car...
Old 05-16-2007, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually, a thought occured just now. i think in cananda, all cars have to be equipped with daytime running lights, therefore, maybe you can get the daytime running system froma cdm (canadian domestic market) toyota echo and installed on your xa? but since it is only a 3% decrease in coverage, you'll hvae to do a good cost benefit analysis to see how long it would take to pay off the expense of putting it on.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ANightDriver
Look here http://www.geico.com/auto/sales/discounts.htm
The problem is to be eligible, the lights should turn on automatically with the ignition.
That's odd...my sister's car has DRL and she received no discount with Geico.

But then again, the biggest discount my family and myself received from Geico was switching from them to Mercury; it was $1200 for my mom, dad, and my sister...I was at $600 (every 6 months) on my own policy....when I swapped my old car for the xA it was $1290 every 6 months for the xA...
Mercury is $1100 every 6 months for my whole family insurance...I think it's mainly to due with they don't bother with that primary driver bullcrap Geico does.

esurance was good too; they quoted $1200ish for my family, but we went with mercury since they have a local branch and it was ultimately cheaper.

I know it's not an answer you really wanted, but you may want to consider it. ;)
Old 05-17-2007, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I recall a kit that zayres use to sell that ran 9 volts through your head lamps to give you day time running lights. I beleive bosch made the kit too.

My bright idea was to mount 3 inch led amber turn signsls in the fog light sockets and wire those to the acc fuse so they are on with the key. Turns out if you do not have fog lights, you have a rectangle blank behind the blank, vs a round hole where the fog light goes.

I think just powering those two peanut bulbs in the headlamp housing near the grill area would be fine enough. If power consumption was an issue, you can get led bulbs in white or amber colors to put there.

I own a silver xa and find in the early morning and night if I drive without my lights on, I get less tailgatting and cutting off than with them on. Seems people cant see you too well and are less likely to cut you off.

I have geico too, I do not know of a drl discount, but they do for abs, air bags and alarm and what type of alarm.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for all the replies.

It was interesting to know about Canada. I drove there briefly last year; the police did not stop me going with no lights. I found Toyota do not sell Scions in Canada, and the generic Toyota DRL units available in the US.

My first impression was to connect the Parking Lights to ignition, which apparently involve no cost. But, after the consultation with insurance, it appears, that this modification was not qualified for them, as it is not factory supported.

I am not fun of Geico or anybody else, just my coverage happen to be less expensive with them.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you drove there with your car car made for the us, it doesn't have to have daytime running lights. however cars made and sold for the canadian market have to have drl systems. my grandparents mentioned it when picking us up from our flight to regina suskatuan. i noticed that all the car drove around with there lights on durring the day. if you had american plates on your car, they wouldnt' stop you since your just visiting.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's very nice of them. Finnish will just ticket you, even if you have foreign plates, when the light does not switch on.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I remember reading a couple of posts about owners who took xB's into Canada. There was mention of the daytime running lights--and I don't think it was a big deal. You might want to run a search for Canada and see what you come up with.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ok--this post says it costs $210 in Canada. Another post was from a Vancouver dealer that sold cars into Canada. Maybe a dealer near the border could help you out with the info.........

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=canada+import