Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

I took the plunge... more questions though!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I took the plunge... more questions though!

Well...

I was waiting on my salesman to get a manual in for me to drive. Then today my car developed this awful sick noise that I can't even describe. I can usually identify sounds to the malfunctioning part as I've owned 3 cars now which I literally drove to the grave, but this is beyond me. That coupled with almost getting ran over on I-270 and being unable to do anything since my horn is busted pretty well made the decision for me.

When I walked in my guy spotted me right away and told me he still didn't have a manual - I asked if the one coming in was sold, and he said it's yours.

I had my heart set on indigo ink pearl. I never thought I'd own a blue car, but when I went in to test drive the xA, there was one sitting on the lot already sold and I fell in love. It's a unique color without being LOOK AT ME. At any rate, the one coming in is black - he's going to try to trade it out for an indigo, but I told him I'd take it either way.

Now.

I planned on building my Scion online before I went in, but today was not planned. He let me do it at the dealership, and wrote it up exactly as I built it. The ONLY extra options I got were Scion Security (much with the yay with keyless entry and the like), an armrest, floormats, and ipod capability. I think there were some others I had seen that I wanted in the past, but nothing really stood out to me as I flipped through the screens.

Is there anything I left off that is an absolute must have? I know the side curtain airbags improve the saftey rating, but the cost is a killer. Am I totally stupid to leave this off? Also I realize that the armrest and mats could easily be DIY, but it's worth the premium on those two things not to have to mess with it myself.

Second -

Those that financed through Scion - when was your first payment? Like I'm picking up my car on the 15th - will it be the same month, or not until the next month? Since this is a little sooner than I planned I'm trying to arrange things financially, so I want to make sure I'm not suprised when the first bill comes through the door. I realize I can ask my dealer, but why bother him? Also I have an excellent credit score and was told my APR would fall around 6%. For those in this range if you don't mind sharing, what's your APR exactly?

Third -

Anyone else in their mid twenties with a terrible driving record? Who'd you find the cheapest insurance through? So far, suprisingly, American Family is the best deal I found. What my current company Geico wants is a ____ing joke.

So yeah - in 15 days another xA hits the road. /confetti
Old 09-02-2006, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Welcome to the Scion family. You could have saved your money on the floor matsand arm rest as you can get OEM cheaper after the fact--but that is no biggie. Not too many cars have side airbags--the boxes sure do not. I financed through Scion and the payments started pretty fast. Ask if you can set your payment date. You can always check with a credit union or bank to see if you can get a lower rate. Good luck with your new purchase. You are lucky to get a manual as most xAs are autos out there these days.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well, I got my xA pre-owned and basically the only real dealer parts I wanted were the keyless entry and the spoiler.

Mine had the mats, doorsill "enhancements", 6-disk changer (which it didn't, and we almost got into a law suite, but they came to their senses after a call from the DMV head...), spoiler and keyless entry.

As far as the stuff you picked, I do like the mats, but mine get dirty a lot, so I'm probably going to get plastic ones... arm rests are cool, but total diy... ipod, there's a few diys on how to do that, so I'd say no to that as well.

No clue about the financing as my dad paid it full (I'm no rich kid, I’ve still got to pay my dad back. )

And as far as getting your car in 15 days... that actually might happen seeing as how the xA isn't very popular, but don't be surprised if it takes you 15 weeks...

And a trick to getting costs down on your insurance, when they ask you the questions about "Do you have a garage" and all that, just says "Yes" to them... I mean, I do have a garage, it's just that there's no room for my car at the moment.

And congrats on getting an xA!
Old 09-02-2006, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got mine almost as stock as it comes. The only factory option i had to get was the side airbags because without them this car would be an even worse rolling death trap. Although they are expensive i feel alot better knowing i have airbags all around me in the chance of getting in an accident. They are no where near as big a rip off as the scion security which is WAY too expensive for what it is. The only thing about the airbags though is that it is hard to find xAs with them because most people don't worry about getting them when they want a base model car. Good luck with your new xA. Welcome to the family!
Old 09-03-2006, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

unless you can do it yourself get the trd springs installed.
otherwise you are sittin high.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the side airbags would lower your insurance
Old 09-07-2006, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would just like to take a moment to say that so far I love my salesman. Seeing some of the other stories of waiting here and getting different answers from different people has really made me appreciate my experience so far.

I talked to him today, and he was able to trade his black xA for an indigo from another dealer that isn't sold yet. I'm a happy camper - especially since I told him I'd take the car either way and I know he was looking at what everyone else was getting as soon as he could. He expects that it'll be ready for me to pick up in 2 weeks on or around the 20th. I remembered the one feature I wanted above all others - cruise control. As a self proclaimed roadtrip queen, I have missed cruise control on my current car.

Also, as far as insurance, would you believe that Geico wanted $250 a month?! Buahhahaha. The only reason I am using Geico currently is because American Family dropped me back in my young and dumb days - but my record is clean now and they'll insure me for less than half the price. The same agent I used to work with is still in the buisness - and I know from my young and dumb days (2 wrecks in a year. It was a bad year.) that he knows what he is doing. Just glad I never had to find out what Geico's "claims department" is like - I never liked not having an agent.

So I know I said NO MODS in my first post but I'm thinking a little tint would be sexy. JUST tint though.

Waiting is hard...
Old 09-07-2006, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

"NO MODS" HA HA--Famous last words..........
Old 09-07-2006, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OldYeller
"NO MODS" HA HA--Famous last words..........

Shh. If I did anything else I'd be in trouble with the boy.

Funny how that's usually the other way around...