Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

My poor MPG in the xA..

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, that website sohws what is the average, which is still lower than advertized.

And why is it that every American car I have ever driven new gets the mileage advertized? Yet my first Toyota gets much less than advertized?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ein311
...is that lawsuit by the same people who were suing Hard Drive manufacturers because "100GB" wasn't showing up as "100GB" in Windows?

Because.... 1000bytes != 1024bytes in windows?

I still don't see how an estimate done by an outside company can be considered false advertising. There are even mileage ranges listed below the big numbers to tell the kinds of gas mileage typically received in similar cars...
Plus, the EPA has even pseudo-admitted to how flawed the tests are by revising the way they do their testing for 2008 and providing a conversion for many older cars.

In my automatic I can achieve over 35mpg without trying...with super-advanced-awesome-gas-saving-mode(tm) turned on, I have hit 40mpg. Granted, I drive over 500 miles a week and most of it is highway, but that is where the best mileage is at. There are other people here that have posted achieving 40mpg and others getting close to or are at the posted numbers.

After checking the fueleconomy.gov website and seeing the new rating for the xA, I'm falling right in the designated zone:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calcu...umn=1&id=21777
None of those are 21 MPG like my car is getting however.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The engine is a VVTi and it adjusts the intake valve timing under proper conditions to increase efficiency. If you never back off the gas once up to speed it will affect mileage a lot so try getting up to speed then take your foot off the gas for a second and then lightly back on it to hold speed then off again and on again a few times. Also put at least 32 psi in all your tires COLD and check for alignment issues - outer tire wear. Sometimes the alignment is out from the factory from driving it off the truck or other reasons. My new 94 Geo was out about 1 degree in the rear alignment and cause bad tire wear on the first set of tires and a lot of rear wheel noise.

Highway speed if you are going over 60mph then you are going too fast for the first 500 miles of engine break in. Ring break in is critical - I have the xB and got 32mpg on my first tank and it has been going up ever since. The more you brake the more gas you waste and no matter how good the car can get in mileage - once you start hitting the brakes it all goes away. If you have floored it a few times you are pushing it too much as well and any engine rpm over 4000 in the first 500 miles it too fast too.

We still don't know if it is an automatic or manual???? Or what Brand of gas you are using.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2006 XA automatic and I typically use 87 octane from shell.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok the automatic as someone pointed out has an overdrive button so make sure that is working and Shell is supposed to be ok for mileage but you may want to try some other brand in case there is an issue.

The gas has to be going someplace so check the tail pipe for excessive soot - there should be just a trace of black on your finger if you wipe the inside of the tail pipe or none at all. Next check to see if you have hot wheels after you drive it around - anything too hot to touch is brake drag or excessive brake use. Last thing is to see what RPM it will idle at once it is warmed up in neutral. It should idle just under 1000 rpm then drop down to 650 rpm in about a minute or so and you should notice it get quieter when that happens.

You may also want to put a half bottle of STP gas treatment in the tank - it may be a new car to you but it probably sat around for almost a year with old gas in it.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a blown gasket or seal in the engine is screwing you up
Old 06-20-2007, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: My poor MPG in the XA.

Originally Posted by TheUglyOne
I forgot to factor in the 77 miles that it had when it was new and my new calculation brought it to about 20 MPG.
If you have an extra 77 miles to account for on the same number of gallons, the corrected figure should have gone up. OTOH, if you filled up right off the showroom floor with 77 miles, then divided the entire odometer reading by actual refill gallons, the corrected figure would be worse as you say.

These are GENERAL mpg factors that many on here have made mistakes over. I only repeat them here to help rule out simple mistakes or faulty assumptions.

1. Toyota may not have left you with a full tank at the start. My needle doesn't drop below full until about 1.5 gallons burned. For that first 50 miles or so the needle doesn't budge.

2. Go by actual refill gallons as indicated on the pump. Go by actual odometer miles, either by resetting the trip meter or by logging the overall reading and doing the subtraction. One infamous poster here claims wonderful mileage based on an estimated commute mileage based on road maps and mileposts, divided by an estimate of how many gallons are used by the fuel gauge and when it starts flashing.

3. The engine management computer will gradually learn your driving habits and adjust to to your right foot. If the first miles on your car were by a dealership transferring the car across town and having fun playing AJ Foyt, it may take a tank or two to optimize to more conservative driving habits.

4. You may have gotten a) a bad tank of gas, b) an early nozzle shutoff due to filling on a slope, or c) a vehicle that beat the odds and has an actual fault inside it.

Accelerate modestly (constant pedal position so that it shifts at 2500 rpm or less), coast the last 1/4 mile when slowing from highway speeds, and keep your top speed at 60 or lower. I have close to 35k miles now, and get 34 on aggressive mixed driving, topping out at 42 mpg on 55 mph drives in the country.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, the wider pipes, turbo kits, ECU management, and intakes that you put on there will reduce mileage. Mostly because you will rev it more.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, the wider pipes, turbo kits, ECU management, and intakes that you put on there will reduce mileage. Mostly because you will rev it more.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Godd stuff, just thought I would review how to calculate mpg.

1. fill up your gas tank til the pump clicks off. Do this 2 more times.

2. Reset trip o meter to zero and drive car.

3. when you want to check your fuel economy, fill up you tank to the 3 clicks. Divide the miles traveled into the gallons pumped. There is your fuel economy.

My car has a lot of road noise and I even adjust the volume although it has als set to high. I may want to get my alignment checked, but the tires seem to be wearing ok.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well now it seems like it is doing alright. I did a quicky test where I drove 100 miles and filled her up and I am now averaging about 27.5 MPG. Getting better everyday!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That should be repeated again because the gas in the tank expands when warm so if you filled a lot of gallons of cold gas the first fill up and it expanded during the 100 miles of driving it may have added a half a gallon to the small fillup afterwards. But you are doing better although I get almost TWICE that in my xB . . . yeah twice that . . . 50-52 mpg.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YOU FREAKING IDIOTS! TOYOTA DOES NOT ADVERTISE THEIR MPG ESTIMATES! THE EPA (ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY) MAKES THE MPG ESTIMATES BASED ON THEIR LAB TEST RESULTS!

BY LAW THESE ARE THE ONLY NUMBERS ANY CAR MANUFACTURER ARE ALLOWED TO ADVERTISE WITH THEIR CAR IN THE UNITED STATES!

if you want to sue anybody, sue the epa, and good luck with that. toyota is not responsible for their cars not living up to the epa fuel estimates that the government mandates. toyota builds the car, gives on to the epa to test, the epa says it gets xx mpg city and xx mpg highway, that is what you are allowed to post on the cars window sticker, and those are the only numbers you are allowed to claim it gets for your advertisments for this car.

now, there is a chance that there is something wrong with this one xa, maybe you have a fuel leak, or for some reason your car is running rich becaus of a bad maf sensor and it is just dumping fuel into the engine. it happens. quit b!tch!ng and threathening to sue toyota over something that is beyond their control.

an example of something you could sue over would be years ago, ford falsely advertised the horse power numbers that the mustang produced and was forced to buy them back from angry owners.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahhhhhh Prius ads . . . up to 60mpg in all the TV ads I have seen. But yeah suing is not that simple but it can be dissapointing when you expect half ways decent mileage and the tank runs out way before you expect it to.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually for a long time they had it advertised on there website that the scion XA and XB got @ least 30 MPG with nothing concerning the EPA estimate listed anywhere. That my friend is false advertising.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You may want to try one other thing - shift it into 1st gear and see how easy the engine revs up with just a little gas. This will give you an idea how loose the engine is getting as it breaks in you can rev it up a little past 4k without a lot of throttle it will not hurt it and it will help get some oil into the upper rings of the cylinders. As it breaks in it will rev easier and give you better mileage. The trick it to gently polish the cylinder bores with light throttle use so the rings seat in properly and the bores become nice and smooth.

I have a friend with a VW beetle about 8 years old now and he says that it only gets about 26mpg with a 4 cylinder 5 speed - you should see how he drives it though - oh my aching neck! So some of your low mileage could be the way you drive even though you think you are taking it easy - there are things that you may not realize you are doing that are costing you more mileage than you realize.

If you really want something that can help you see what is going on then purchase a ScangaugeII - someone in this forum is selling them for a good discount. (365motorwerks)
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...5888&start=180
Old 06-20-2007, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually for a long time they had it advertised on there website that the scion XA and XB got @ least 30 MPG with nothing concerning the EPA estimate listed anywhere. That my friend is false advertising.
you are not paying attention numb-nutz. those numbers ARE based on the epa estimates. the epa estimates for city and highway are over 30 mpg. toyota is allowed to do that. they are not allowed to advertise their own fuel consumption estimates.

the epa did the test, the epa published the results and the estimates of what the cars mpg will be. these estimates are the only numbers toyota is allowed to use when advertising their cars. so the epa says that they should get 31 city, 37 highway. toyota has every right to say that the xa gets 30 mpg.

mpg depends on driving conditions and driver behavior. if you want to get the epa estimates for mpg. you have to drive your xa on a treadmill accelerate at a rate of 3.3 mph per second which is about 18 seconds for a 0 to 60 mph. and then just keep it at 55 mph. things like terrain, wind resistance and adverse operating temperatures are not take into account.

how many miles do you have on your xa now? do you have a manual? are you like going all the way to redline before you upshift? is your parking brake on dragging behind you? do you carry alot of extra weight? do you live in a very hilly area? are you using cheap spot gas that evaporates?

now stop going after toyota for false advertising, you have no case. if there is something wrong with your xa, i am sure they would be perfectly happy to fix it. once you get the car well broken in with like 1000 miles, calculate your mpg then. if it doesn't improve, take it to a dealership for a consumption test. that will help determine if there really is a problem with your car. but you can't go after toyota for adverstising the numbers that they didn't calculate and by law are required to display.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey lighten up his name is TheUglyOne not numb-nutz and there are a few people that have had mileage problems as well as performance problems that were not easy to fix by dealers. If you were paying attention you would also know that he has an automatic too and that he was using Shell 87 octane gas.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
you are not paying attention numb-nutz. those numbers ARE based on the epa estimates. the epa estimates for city and highway are over 30 mpg. toyota is allowed to do that. they are not allowed to advertise their own fuel consumption estimates.

the epa did the test, the epa published the results and the estimates of what the cars mpg will be. these estimates are the only numbers toyota is allowed to use when advertising their cars. so the epa says that they should get 31 city, 37 highway. toyota has every right to say that the xa gets 30 mpg.

mpg depends on driving conditions and driver behavior. if you want to get the epa estimates for mpg. you have to drive your xa on a treadmill accelerate at a rate of 3.3 mph per second which is about 18 seconds for a 0 to 60 mph. and then just keep it at 55 mph. things like terrain, wind resistance and adverse operating temperatures are not take into account.

how many miles do you have on your xa now? do you have a manual? are you like going all the way to redline before you upshift? is your parking brake on dragging behind you? do you carry alot of extra weight? do you live in a very hilly area? are you using cheap spot gas that evaporates?

now stop going after toyota for false advertising, you have no case. if there is something wrong with your xa, i am sure they would be perfectly happy to fix it. once you get the car well broken in with like 1000 miles, calculate your mpg then. if it doesn't improve, take it to a dealership for a consumption test. that will help determine if there really is a problem with your car. but you can't go after toyota for adverstising the numbers that they didn't calculate and by law are required to display.
No they have a right to advertise it stating that it is based off of an EPA estimate. The website didn't state that it was an EPA estimate so that means that toyota Motor Corp is responsible for the advertisement. IF they mention anywhere in the ad that it is based off of EPA estimates then it would be okay...but this wasn't the circumstance.

Also. I live in Orange county and do a lot of freeway driving that I keep @ 65MPH. I have always used name brand gasoline and there I think I traveled up a hill like a year ago. Plus mine is an automatic so I can't control the RPM's unless I shut off the OD.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:45 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i read that the prius can get up too 114mpg btw i aint fibbin about those numbers

Quick Reply: My poor MPG in the xA..