Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Need new canister...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 AM

Default Need new canister...

Let me start off by saying Im sorry if Im posting this in the wrong section.

I just bought a 2006 Scion Xa 2 days ago with 36k miles. Literally the very next night the check engine light came on and it had 5 error codes, P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, and P2419.
From what I have read this is an ongoing problem with the Scion Xa and it needs a new charcoal canister (yearly apparently)

Im a single mom of a son with autism and a full time Biochemistry student. It takes me a while to save up an extra $300 especially when I just put all my eggs into this basket trusting the Toyota name

Is this going to be something which will force my car to implode on itself in anyway if I dont immediately rush out and get it fixed?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Misty,

Yes and No.

The EVAP system on the Toyota is purely there to reclaim, capture, and recirculate fuel vapor from the gas tank so it doesn't end up in the atmosphere. The charcoal canister aids in this process.

The problem is not necessarily that you need a new canister, it means you have a leak and there is a possibility that the canister has water present in it. Please read this.

http://tijil.org/Scion_TSBs/eg04706.pdf

To me it looks like Toyota had a problem with the seals at the filler neck and that caused moisture to enter the system.

If I were you, i'd take it to the dealer with the PDF I linked and talk to a service manager, plead your case, and see if they'll work with you or even cover you for the repair since you're so close on actual mileage and it is a known problem. The worst they can say is no. Then you know what you have to do. Looks like this is a little more extensive than just a single part though.

Let us know if you get resolution.

I think you can drive it with these P codes if you absolutely have to, just be careful and don't ignore the problem.

Where are you located just out of curiousity?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 PM

Thanks a lot for the information! Im about to go to the Toyota dealer and plead with them. If not, my brother works on Fords in his free time, so hopefully he can help me with this.

Im in Houston, TX. Ill let you know how it goes with the dealer
Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Canister.

Misty, Please dont think that this has to be changed every year, or every so often. I had a check engine light come on in the first year of owning my 06 Xa, and the service manager walked out and snapped my fuel line gas cap closed, turned the car off and on, and the light never has come back on. I am at 92,000 miles, and hoping to keep mine till at least 250,000. This is the only new car I have ever bought, at 55 years old, and I love it. Please feel free to ask any and all questions on this forum, as people can be very helpful.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:26 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies.

SO an update. I took to the Toyota dealer and past warranty is past warranty. I replaced the gas cap and unhooked the battery to reset the computer and it has now been 200+ miles and the check engine light is still off and its burning fuel better I think. Soooo crossing my fingers!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 AM

you had login to the correct place only. no problem