2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Nissan Versa vs Scion xA

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Nissan Versa vs Scion xA

I just looked up the Nissan Versa and it looks very spacious compared to the xA from the trunk to the seating areas. Also, It is priced (at least the automatic) around the xA's range. As much as I adore my black xA, did I make a mistake? Does anyone own a Versa to thoroughly compare it against xA?
Old 09-13-2006, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's ugly. It looks like they downsized the that ugly Quest minivan they build. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this in any reviews I have read. The Quest looks like it should be hauling caskets.

One other thing is the CVT transmisson in the automatics. I've worked as a Machinist for 24 years and I've worked around machinery that uses this technology and can tell one thing I don't want one in a car. The only reason I can see that they're putting them in cars is for higher profit margin. I think it's going to be like a Timing belt you're going to have to change it every 60-80K miles, just an opinion on that. If people ask you if it's rubberband powered you could sort of say yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continu...e_transmission
Old 09-13-2006, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Grateful11
I think it's ugly. It looks like they downsized the that ugly Quest minivan they build. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this in any reviews I have read. The Quest looks like it should be hauling caskets.

Versa aka Mini Quest....

it is a mini-minivan. it just does not have the style that the xA or even the Fit has.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I work at a Nissan dealership and I'd say get the Versa with the CVT trans. Quick acceleration without the shifts...NICE! The steering is powered by an electric motor mounted to the steering column, so there is no power steering pump, very smooth steering. You can get the Versa with the optional "I-Key", which is keyless entry and keyless ignition.
Did I mention it gets approx. 40 mpg from a 1.8 liter engine...
Old 09-13-2006, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by simplyred

Versa aka Mini Quest....

it is a mini-minivan. it just does not have the style that the xA or even the Fit has.

Sorry but if the xA had style, I think more would have sold...
Old 09-13-2006, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it weren't for the sliding door and tinted glass you couldn't tell them apart.

The xA has styling, believe me. I've had more positive comments about it than any car I've had in 25 years. The CVT is not proven itself to me in the automotive field. I've worked on a bunch of heavy duty industrial equipment with the CVT systems and they don't last as long as most people think they do.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Metro273
Originally Posted by simplyred

Versa aka Mini Quest....

Sorry but if the xA had style, I think more would have sold...
They just weren't marketed as hard as the xB and tC. Scion just kinda let the xA drift off to the wayside.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats true they never really tried to sell the xa when they saw that the xb was picking up so fast. Well these car companies are all riding the trend anyway. But looks like miss nini quest will have a new partner the nissan cube talk about originality . I mean come on nissan try to do your homework and comeout with something that would really wow me. At least I dont get the mini quest comment or the mini oddesey. They mistake it for the mini version of the Lexus RSX though. But styling wise Toyota is always the head turner.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I very nearly bought a Versa insted of my xA, adn in fact I WOULD have if a 6-speed SL had become availible before my 5-Speed xA did...

Taht said, I am SO glad I got the xA. The Versa drove very nice, and was loaded with nice options, and is bigger on the inside, etc etc, but the Scion has so much more personality.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xA and Versa are very different cars. I looked at one, they're much larger than the xA.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it weren't for the sliding door and tinted glass you couldn't tell them apart.
That seems to be a growing trend. The Honda fit looks like a small Honda Odyssey.
The xA is obviously more stylish, but the Versa isn't too bad.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you bought a Versa and an xA the same day, in 5 years you could sell the xA and if you are lucky, donate the Versa. The smaller the Nissan, the less value it retains.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member

I've been reading the Nissan Versa forums for awhile and none of them are getting anywhere near 40MPG. Most are getting in the 25-29mpg range. A few get in the 30's with the 6-speed. Also alot of them have clutch issues are going to have to be replaced. There was a notice sent out to the dealers that pretty much every single 6-speed will have to have its clutch replaced due to a manufacturing issue in the clutch plate.

Its nice, but at 16.5K loaded I would rather get something else. Nissans quality just isnt there.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wait, how long have they been out and already having clutch replacement issues??!! Did they get the VW rejects??
Old 09-13-2006, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Weeze-Dog
I've been reading the Nissan Versa forums for awhile and none of them are getting anywhere near 40MPG. Most are getting in the 25-29mpg range. A few get in the 30's with the 6-speed. Also alot of them have clutch issues are going to have to be replaced. There was a notice sent out to the dealers that pretty much every single 6-speed will have to have its clutch replaced due to a manufacturing issue in the clutch plate.

Its nice, but at 16.5K loaded I would rather get something else. Nissans quality just isnt there.
That's sad. Sounds like it was rushed to the market. Just downsize the parts and build something that will try to get good mileage.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unless you really need the extra space, I'd say get the xA instead of the Nissan Versa. There is one good reason.

The Nissan Versa is ugly. It looks like a minivan.

The Honda Fit is ugly too. It looks like a minivan. It does look a little better than the Nissan Versa.

Both cars may be nice in many other ways, but they are not nice looking cars. The xA looks pretty nice. If a car doesn't look decent, I would have a hard time buying it. I can live with other flaws.

I also would trust the reliability of the xA over the Versa. I don't know this for a fact, but I read somewhere that the Versa was made in Mexico. I would take Japan-made over Mexico-made anyday (of course, since I don't know this as a fact you should verify this if location of origin matters to you).

I don't understand why car companies can't make nicer looking cars. I don't think Toyota is universally good. They have alot of cars I don't like. However, they did get things right with the xA. For an econo-hatch, it looks damn good. It can't be that hard to design stylish cars. There are nice ones like the G35 Coupe, Mini Cooper, Honda S2000, and Jaguar XKR. Would it have cost more money to make the Fit and Versa not look like minivans?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kdepew
I also would trust the reliability of the xA over the Versa. I don't know this for a fact, but I read somewhere that the Versa was made in Mexico. I would take Japan-made over Mexico-made anyday (of course, since I don't know this as a fact you should verify this if location of origin matters to you).
According to Car & Driver they are indeed made in Mexico. That was a big turn off for me, that and the fact that the economy priced Nissans don't retain value.

I don't have a link on it - but it was an article they did several months ago comparing the newest econoboxes. Scion wasn't represented - probably because Toyota opted to get the publicity for the Yaris - and the Chevy Aveo was missing because the new release wasn't out yet. (Not that I'd ever buy a Chevy anyway, but just sayin'.).
Old 09-14-2006, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reasons I did not get Versa Over xA
--Versa
CONS
-Made in Mexico. Look at the first digit of the VIN number it's a 3. So are Sentras. You can go to Dealer websites and check inventory, most of them include VIN numbers. First DIGIT or LETTER of VIN = 1or4 U.S. 2 is Canada 3 is Mexico J is Japan K is Korea S is England W is Germany Z is Italy
-First Generation most of the time is the one with problems
-Styling from the front is ok. The rear is puke
-Very hard to find rims that flow well with the body
-Very hard to picture it looking good lowered
PROS
-Very roomy
-6 speed stick
-Keyless entry and Keyless go
-More horsepower and torque

++xA
+100% Made in Japan. Which is why I did not get a Corolla either because made in US ones are in my price range and made in Japan Corollas, the dealers fit them with options as soon as they get inventory so they're out of my price range.
+How many generations is xA on? Counting the ones in Japan?
+Looks good lowered with rims
+Has better looking body kits
+Steering wheel mounted controls
+Standard mp3 cd

The most cons that turned me so far away from Versa is that it's made in Mexico and it's a First Generation, like the First Gen B5 Audi A4s, is going to have all the problems so manufactures can fix them in the second gen. My friend had a 50g Dodge Duelie brand new 2005 20,000 miles on it. Every single warning light turned on in the dash, because it is made in Mexico.

I am just tired of American made cars. My household contains a 2000 Accord 46,000 miles Made in U.S. 10 recalls and transmission jerks every time it shifts. I understand Hondas always had transmissions shifting like that but my dad's 2005 Odyssey 6,000 miles, already has *8* recalls affecting somewhere around 90,000 Odysseys. This p00p is built how long ago? And this many recalls?

I laugh at US made Hondas and Toyotas all day long

by the way Chevy Aveo is made in Korea
notice the VIN starts with K
http://cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp...eadExists=true
Old 09-14-2006, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member

By the way the Chevy Aveo uses Daewoo sourced parts ( engine and drive train) so it isnt very surprising it is made in Korea. Go to buy a Chevy, drive home in a Daewoo. Lol.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Astrofuse
By the way the Chevy Aveo uses Daewoo sourced parts ( engine and drive train) so it isnt very surprising it is made in Korea. Go to buy a Chevy, drive home in a Daewoo. Lol.
Ewwwwwwwwww.

Seriously, of the new crop of econoboxes that one is the biggest eyesore. The hatchback is *almost* okay from the back, but the front is terrible. The sedan is just pure puke.

Yet I see them *everywhere*. Gross.

Quick Reply: Nissan Versa vs Scion xA