Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Over revving engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Over revving engine

Even though I drive an automatic I've managed to overrev the engine on my Xa twice when driving hard in the mountains. I thought I was shifting from 2nd into drive but was actually shifting into neutral. I don't know how high the engine reved as I was very busy driving, I caught it very quickly,maybe7K or a little higher. Would these 2 brief incidents damage the engine? How high can the Xa engine rev without sustaining damage? I wish there was a lock out on neutral,I may have to come up with one for fast mountain driving I don't want to do this again.. Thank You
Old 07-11-2007, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I dont see how 2 high revs would damage the engine. You didnt peg it and it was extremely brief, so I'd say no worries. If I can drive it for long amounts of time at 90 mph in the hills, 2 high revs will be fine.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you guys not have a rev limiter like the tCs do? If so it would be almost impossible to overrev the engine except mechanically by going into too low of a gear.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a rev limiter in the engine that cuts off fuel over 6500 or so and the tach probably reads a little higher than actual. If you push the shifter from a lower gear into drive and miss Drive and hit Neutral you should be able to drop it back into Drive without pushing the button on the shifter.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I hear, Its almost impossible to over rev your engine with an auto. The ECU in an auto car won't shift into any gear unless it is safe to do so. I got this information from this post https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=146989

Originally Posted by xA_Factor
No, you'll not hurt your engine. Unlike a manual tranny which can mechanically over-rev the engine when down shifting into too low a gear at too high a speed....which the rev-limiter can do nothing about....the ECU for an automatic will not allow a down shift until the appropriate speed is reached...even if you select a lower gear.
Although, I don't know if this still applies because you shifted into neutral instead of another gear. Anyways, your car should be fine.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shifting to neutral should still by all means let the rev limiter kick in. As soon as he drops it back into drive its not going to be revving that high anymore...however, he should NOT have the engine revving when he drops it back into drive. From what I've been told its best to go from neutral to drive with the engine at its idled RPMs, someone correct me if I'm wrong. That way its not putting as much stress on the tranny.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You want to rev match it a little before going into gear from neutral - there is still a clutch that is slipping before the torque converter slips a little and that can wear the Drive clutch in the transmission.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah, don't want to go off topic here so you can reply in a PM if you want but how do you rev match in automatic? I've never driven a stick So I don't know what I would be looking for when I would need to do that. Just the thought of it going in neutral while I drive it worries me, heard horrible things about neutral drops and experienced it with a friend that was a little too happy to do that with a rental car.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not off topice really - You should have an idea of what RPM the engine turns at certain speeds and just rev the engine up to and RPM close to the speed it would be spinning at the speed you are going before dropping it into Drive. Even a little faster would be ok since it would normally be spinning faster when it shifts from a lower gear into Drive (top gear) when accelerating.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, you are wrong, neutral should not be locked out. neutral is never locked out because should something happen, like the gas pedal sticks and you can't stop accelerating, you can just shift the car into neutral to disengage the engine. i'm pretty sure that no automatic transmission locks out neutral.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
Not off topice really - You should have an idea of what RPM the engine turns at certain speeds and just rev the engine up to and RPM close to the speed it would be spinning at the speed you are going before dropping it into Drive. Even a little faster would be ok since it would normally be spinning faster when it shifts from a lower gear into Drive (top gear) when accelerating.
Thanks man! I'll take more notice of mine to get a feel for what it should be if that ever happens, I it doesn't.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would not worry. When you over rev the damage if so is immediate. Timming belt jumping, or a bearing starts spinning since the oil is slung out the rods faster than it can be pumped.

I would not worry.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:55 PM
SL Member

Listen, I'm a mechanic of 20 years with a bit of race car experience and I don't think you hurt a thing.

There's a rev limiter so no worries. In fact, I would expect that I could hold the pedal to the floor for 10 seconds with the rev limiter kickin in and NOT hurt the engine or it's bearings. 6500 is not that high. I know of xB guys in a club here that just love to rev their boxes at stop lights, and the hit the rev limiter on purpose!!