Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Questions About xA Before Buying

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member

Default Questions About xA Before Buying

I'm planning on getting a new car this June (after my first year at college) and am near positive it's going to be an xA. I'm a dirt poor student and am saving up my money to pay for the thing all in one lump sum, no monthly payments, so the xA seems like a fesible goal and good quality for my money.

Or is it? There are some issues about the car that are bothering me. Most noticable the age old adage, you get what you pay for. The fact that it's still a Toyota comforts me and I love the look but I wonder if they cut any corners in terms of quality along the way. I'm trying to decide that if the xA is sort of lacking, I might get a tC since there's a $4-5 GRAND difference which I can (barely. I think) manage. I just need to decide in advance what car I'm going to get so I can adjust my work schedule according so come the month of June, I'll be able to buy whichever car.

If it's not too much trouble, can people give me their thoughts on the following items? I'd go to the dealer and try it out to answer some of my questions but it's a bit embarassing to go there and waste their time without any intent to buy. I just want some things answered and when I really am able to buy one, I'll go see it in person and make the final decision.

I just want to say that I'm not planning on doing any modding on it, it will spend it's life stock exactly how I bought it. I will also be driving it back and forth between San Francisco (where I go to school) and Los Angeles (where my family lives) probably once a month but otherwise, it'll be just a local car to get around the city.

EXTERIOR
I've seen some rumblings about the board that the paint job is kind of cheap. Is that just in certain cases or is it a universal issue? I'm interested in the Black Cherry Pearl color, has anyone had issues with this paint? Also how sturdy (within reasonable bounds) is the body on the xA? If some punk crashes into it while skateboarding or if someone's car door hits it in a parking lot, will it dent?

INTERIOR
One thing that really worries me is that I saw in some topic that the dashboard isn't lit up at night. I mean, I'm not blind or anything but I'd figure that the speedometer has to be lighted and am concerned that it might not be. How bright is the interior control lights in the dark? Coupled with the fact that the controls are situated in the middle of the car really bothers me, I can't imagine using that thing and feeling comfortable or safe when I'm shifting my focus into the middle of my car whenever I need to check my speed. Also how do the seats feel? I'm using a friend's Toyota Matrix as reference here, does the xA contain a similiar Toyota seat feel? Do the seats, dashboard, etc interior in general feel cheap?

DRIVE
I hear there are some rattling and uncomfortable ride issues at high speeds. Also is it true that you can't drive over 80MPH on the stock tires? I'm not an insanely fast driver but I do like to go 70~85MPH on highways. How smooth is the ride? I've read around that you can really feel the little bumps and irregularies in the road

SIZE
I admit it, I can't parallel park worth beans and even parking in spaces leaves something to be desired. I like small cars for this exact reason but is the xA TOO small? I haven't sat in the interior, only seen them on the road and they seem very very tiny. How do they compare to something like a Toyota Matrix (closest thing I can think of in the Toyota family) or a Mini Cooper (seemingly size wise). I'd like at least a roomy driver and front passenger seat since this car will probably only hold me, occasionally a friend or my dog (a tiny pomeranian) for the majority of the time.

BUYING
I know there's a forum section specific for this but I'll just include it here. Any especially good Toyota/Scion withiin the San Gabriel Valley/Orange County. I'm thinking of buying it in Orange County since the tax is cheaper than where I'm from (Pasadena area). Also what's with this pure pricing stuff. I read some topics floating around and is the basic ghist that you can't haggle the price and/or ask for extras (and if you do, the dealer has to sell that price to everyone else)? The only option I want is the keyless remote entry but is it worth the extra $500? Does anyone who has it can vouch for it? (besides the fact that it's probably like ever other keyless remote entry on other cars)
Old 01-09-2005, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont have one but as general rules go here are some things that might help you out.

Exterior:
It is a cheap car, so some of the stuff is not as strongas it could be. As for saftey, its safe. The paint is better then that on the Echo (The older brother to the xA). If you take care of the car, wash-wax etc.. the paint should last some time. I think the door would dent some if a car door hits it or a skater runs into it. The body pannels are a little on the thin side.

Interior:
The gauges need to be lit up at night for legal reasons. So I think what you might have read about the dash not lighting up, is like the dash as a whole, not the cluster set. The gauges are set a little ways back, close to the windshield, so all you need to do is dart your eyes like your going to check your review view mirror, just look down a little instead. Now dealing with the radio might take some practice. When I sat in when, it felt real nice seeing the cost of the car. The layout was nice & user friendly.

Drive:
I dont know why some ppl can only hit 80mph. I think it has to do with where they live, cross winds & other factors. The Echo tops at 105~ so the xA should be able to do near that speed also. The suspension is a little stiff, so you would probably feel the bumps some, its not going to be a BMW style ride for this price.

Size:
Im 6' even & the xA seemed to be good sized for me. I sat in the front no problem & looked to be enough room behind me for another 6' to seat with a little discomfort. In size the xA over all is smaller then the Matrix, but inside dimensions, if you look at toyota.com , the xA has all the inside room that the Matrix does, just in a smaller package. The only gripe I could see is looking out the rear window with ppl in the back seats might be a little hard to do.

Thats about all I can help you with from what I have read & saw when I went to a dealer to check one out. For the cost they seem like great little cars. Yes you do get what you pay for & in this case its a 18sec 1/4mile car that gets good gas milage, has nice interior room & its a toyota!
Old 01-09-2005, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member

Here are a few answers, hope it helps:

Exterior: I do feel it's a bit thin on the metal and paint, but not any more than you would expect with a car in this price range. I've had my xA RS 1.0 for about 3 months now and have one small door ding that I did my self (aaarrrggggg!).

Interior: There are some rattles with the interior, but the overall quality seems to be above average for a car this price. The material quality is good, they just have a few rattles. I would actually attribute many of the rattles to the rough ride and not the interior quality. Overall though, the fit, feel and finish is much better than you will get in a car of similar price. The interior lights do work at night, and the guages, audio and AC controls all light up. Maybe that person had an issue with the storage compartment not lighting up once moving or couldn't find the light dimmer switch and had it turned all the way down.

Drive: The ride is rough compared to other cars in it's class. Why it has to be that rough is beyond me. My ride is amplified with the low profile rims and tires that come with the RS 1.0, but even the stock car had a rough ride. Most of the time it's fine, but on sharp impact it can give a fair jolt to the spine. With that in mind though it handles very well for a car in this price range. Speed wise my car has no problems at all going over 80mph. It does rev overd 4000 RPM at that speed though, but the engine is smooth enough that I don't notice it that much. The stock tires I hear are pretty crappy, but nothing that won't limit it to 80mph.

Size: Overall it is a small car, but on the inside it feels much bigger, at least for the passangers and driver. Give then small size there isn't a lot of cargo room, though we were able to stuff a Sharper image massage chair in the back with out much problem. For the driver there is ample room (I'm 6' tall and around 235 with very wide shoulders and fit just fine). My xA has more back seat room than my wifes Saturn Ion which is a much bigger car than our xA. Overall comfort is very good, expecially compared to other cars in it's class.

Hope this helps some.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A few of comments.

1. I have appx. 1400 miles on my xA and have not noticed any rattles. Of course I have the habit of starting the radio after starting the engine.

2. The ride is quite firm with the stock springs. I prefer this ride as the handling feels better than on turns. If I was driving long distances frequently on the interstates I think that I would prefer a heavier car with more pleasant ride. But I am used to small cars with firm ride and would not like soft ride and larger cars for my type of driving.

3. This vehicle will drive quite comfortably at 70 MPH and even offer power for passing if one puts the pedal to the metal. However I have found noticable increase in noise when I exceed 65 MPH. Much can be attributed to the rotten stock tires which are noisy at 50 MPH. I think that some is from wind noise around the driver door. I intend to lubricate the door weatherstrip and try again at about 70 on the interstate.

4. In California one can find remote starting control and security control for much less than dealership. If you will search this website you might find an installer near you.

5. There is a possibility of getting some better deal if you have a trade in and the dealer really wants a sale. However the base prices of vehicle and accessories are set. Accessories are much cheaper purchased from most any source than the dealer. The only factory options are automatic and side air bags. Other accessories/options are installed by port or dealership.

6. The seat of the driver is quite firm. I am very happy with it. I have lower back problems and this is the only vehicle I have driven since my old '81 Jeep which has a satisfactory seat. I am able to drive it comfortably without use of a small cushion to support my back. Of course that may change as the seat ages from use.
[/code]
Old 01-09-2005, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

another long answer to another long Q :D

Exterior: fairly cheap, i was trying to park my xa in my garage (which was stuffed with old memories) and rubed my right front fender along side an old leather suitcase. made a small dent and the leather rubbed off on the paint (only had it for 2 days when this happened >.< but thats o k its my car)

Interior... no problems her. i like it. seats comfortable and it doesnt seem cheap in any way. and i can fit my 6 foot 5 friend in the back seat comfortably. and there is ALOT of room in the front for the driver passanger. headroom, arm room. legroom however fits perfectly. no needed added room there for me at least 5 foot 10. and no rattles at all. and yeah gauges being lit are no problems for me.

the drive: ive been driving from palms springs too the ontario airport quite alot. i think 5 round trips so far in a month. the ride is of coarse as expected. its not a caddy but then again its not a truck unloaded made with heavylifting (which is VERY bouncy). no complaints there. and i dont remember if ive hit the governer but it is a toyota and i drive a tacoma for work and its governer stops at 105-110 (yes ive hit it many times since ive been driving from palm springs to fontana and back topick up will call for napa) and last night i hit 95 a few times. still smooth ride.

size: yeah its a tiny car. BUT it was made with interior room in mind. not much storage space unless you fold down the rear passenger seats.

overall i would recommend to buy the xA. its an awesom car and carry around a bat or metal pole too. just incase you find that jackass skateboarder :twisted: "Hurry, take his shoes!"
Old 01-09-2005, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member

xA is an amazing car, ive had mine up to 116mph (where its governed.) and it was smooth as buttah. amazing shifting, hella easy to drive, and its quite a quick car for being just a 1.5 dohc...i say go with the xA, and also, if you can score like i did and find a used one, you might be able to talk them down to below $10k...i paid an amazing price for my car, and people here would hate me if i said how much...lets just say it was a good portion under $10k, my car had 12,000 miles on it when i bought it...perfect condition...i was amazed...see if you can find a slightly used one, its way cheaper. talk them down...dont settle...and get an xA, they are great cars. the gauges are really lit, and you can control the brightness. and its a very comfortable car...im 6'3" tall and 310lbs and i fit in that car great. also, if you're smaller, you might enjoy the fact that the seats are higher up. im personally getting sparco racing seats so i can sit lower, thats the only problem ive found, so if your huge like me, it might be weird, but i doubt you are, so word...enjoy, and make sure you TALK THEM DOWN, car salesmen are THERE to make the sale, and they get paid for it...work them to the bone. make it BARE minimum. first tell them you only have $9k CASH on you. they'll probably bite instantly, if not...tell them the MOST you can do is $10k it will work. enjoy.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, having had one almost since they came out...and having 31k on the odo, i can say with some confidence that the car is solid. i've driven it to san jose...so i've made the trip you're going to have to make. it's fine. i think that the best thing you can do, is go sit in it and test drive it. as a salesman i don't mind at all if you aren't buying now. but, please, as a side note, don't come in on a weekend..it's to hectic. anyways pm if you want any additional info, cause i'm to lazy to type right now oh, and the tax will be determined by the address that you register it at. so, if you buy it in orange, but register it in pasadena the tax will be 8.25....and same if you register it in san fran, you pay san fran tax.

matt
Old 01-09-2005, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the great respones you guys. I know my post was really long I appreciate the time you're taking reading and responding. Keep them coming! I'd like to get more opnions but it's almost 100% I'm getting an xA now (situations willing)

Just one thing I said I think was misinterpreted. When I said that the stock tires can't go over 80MPH, I meant that it's suggested they shouldn't because the stock tires are really bad quality (apparently the manual says this?) So if I'm making long trips or planning to go over 80MPH on a constant basis, do I HAVE to change my tires because they're bad for the car or whatever (like the blows up on the freeway and random ____ like that)? If so what should I change them too and how much $$ (just to satisfy curiousity)

Is bad stock tires just a problem on the xA or should you change the tires for most of the cheaper new cars? I don't know if this is a good comparison but since I used to drive a used Mitsubishi and all my dads cars are pretty expensive, my mom bought a new Dodge Caravan ($28,000ish) in 2001 and we've been driving the stocks this whole time and there doesn't seem to be any problem... at least I don't think.

Also what differences are there in the '05s and '04s. By the time I get mine, all the '04s will probably be gone but I'm just curious on what Toyota changed this year from last.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:06 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I have never ever had a single problem running stock tires, I've made the run from Gulfport to Atlanta at 85+ (5-6hours)and never noticed any issues. The road noise is louder than I woud prefer and I dislike the fact that 85mph is 4.3K RPM's but it really doesn't bother me alot.
I have had one rattle and that was where I forgot to tighten a screw all the way on the door panel. I don't think that anyone who doesn't abuse thier tires would have any issues with the tires as long as they keep up normal tire maint.
None of the things you have pointed out in your first post seem to relate to anything I have seen , except that paint thing.

05's have a slightly different stereo and passenger visor vanity mirror.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:00 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll keep mine simple, its a good all around car you do get what you pay for its a toyota that all that matters :D
Old 01-10-2005, 02:52 AM

I also thought about getting the tC, but in the end I decided on buying the xA because it was a stable platform compared to the tC which has only been out for less than a year.

EXTERIOR
The exterior seems fine. I haven't had a serious ding, rock chip, or scratch yet (knocks on wood) I just waxed it yesterday and it looks beautiful :D Not a single blemish

INTERIOR
The dashboard at night is lit up! It's perfectly visible and much better than some of the cars i've driven. The only thing that isn't is one of the dials that control the circulation of the air. Though if you're really worried about it, you can always add some extra light with LEDs and cold cathodes.

DRIVE
The drive is a bit stiff around potholes and bumps, but that's because I have stiff springs and low profile tires XD Overall, the car is very stable at high speeds, and built solid inside out. The steering response is very good and gives a nice direct feel to the road rather than a floaty disconnected drive.

SIZE
The xA is small compared to most cars. I've driven next to one of those huge suvs and their shadow completely covered my car! Still, I love the fact that it's slightly smaller than your average sedan, and still have great space inside.

TIRES
The stock tires perform fine in everyday driving, but there are plenty of aftermarket tires that perform so much better. I switched to summer performance tires and immediately noticed a huge difference in cornering speed and stability.

I'll post pics of my car later tonight if you're still indecisive :D

Old 01-10-2005, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ashe_WCM
How so is the stereo different?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by katt
You can program a welcome message to appear everytime you turn it on =p

Old 01-10-2005, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by cloudnine
Originally Posted by katt
You can program a welcome message to appear everytime you turn it on =p
Is that it? haha, how cute!

BTW I saw your pictures of your white xA and it looks awesome
Old 01-10-2005, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Short answers. The xA height is high stock and seat very high with a lot of headroom. Ride is kinda stiff as I think they were trying to go for the sports car feel, but all these can be modified with aftermarket parts. Great gas mileage...I don't have any complaint about my paint, but I wash my car every week. I'm also 6ft tall and fit fine in this car.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member

Diggin' this little car! Great deal for the price. Don't think you can go wrong. I did tons of research (drove my wife nuts!!) and the xA is your best bet for a new car. You could buy a used Honda Civic cheaper, but I wanted a new car.

Great article from Motor Trend: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ch/index6.html

Would have bought the TC, but couldn't even find a manual anywhere in San Diego to even test drive and with kids in the somewhat-near future, thought better not.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:36 AM
5 Year Member

Default xA comments, 1000 miles later

I have had my xA 5 speed for a little over 1000 miles, bought it with 8500 mi.

Got rear ended on my second day with the car at a stop light. Minimal damage to the paint, no damage to the stuff the bumper covers, it will cost $650 to make it dissappear complete with a new factory bumper part and paint. Sees like the paint holds up to me.

The dark dash is a benefit if you want to put a portable GPS in front of you. There is a big black space in front of the steering wheel you can use for all kinds of stuff. All the lighted areas work well, except down below the radio. It gets dark without the lighting kits in the cup holders, and I have been thinking about adding either the mirror with the built in map lights or one of the light kits for the floor. I have the key remote with the alarm system. It works really far from the car, which was a pleasant surprise. I had to take out the rear headreasts to see completely out the back window.

The drive is more bouncy than I realized at highway 280 speeds and the passenger cabin compartment noise is really high over 70mph, (3400-3500 RPM). Over 70 it's pretty hard to have a conversation with the person in the passenger seat. Turning up the radio only goes so far. Drop down to 3200 RPM and the nose presure is GONE. This car needs a 6th gear in the worst way. I can't get over 32 MPG even coasting with the clutch in on downhill stretches because of the high revs at freeway speeds with this engine. I even looked into getting another muffler to cut the noise. (No good answers there).

That is my single dissapointment with this car. I was expecting to get better gas mileage than my automatic Matrix. I get 34 consistently in the Matrix on the same trips. This car should be beating this hands down, and it doesn't.

That being said, this car is a kick in the pants in street driving (even in San Francisco). Easy to park, manuver and shift. Pulled some very funny parking stunts because of the size.

If I could find a way to put the Scion seats into that car I would do it immediately. ( I actually have asked a Scion dealer about this, but the rails won't line up) This is one of the best seats next to a Volvo. I could sit in that chair for hours without any problem. The Matrix chair needs some inflatable supports to come close to this feel. I know, I have them. The seats on sale on eBay this week were very tempting, if I could just figure out how to get them in the other car..There is a ton of room inside to enjoy.

I don't like how the stock Goodyear tires are acting in the rain, and I am looking to put wider, watershedding (but not taller) tires on the car. I don't want to cut the sidewall and increase the hard ride. If I can find a way to put Kumho 712's on this car, it's my next addition. I have had good reseults with those.

I had the dealer do 2 TSB's for noise that took the dash and interior compartment rattles out as well. So Toyota knows about it and is doing a good job attacking the problem.

As the guy above me said, buy it used with a few thousand miles on the car and save $3-5K.

Oh, and don't forget, the Mini uses premium gas.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member

I took one for a test drive last night and I fit into it comfortably. I'm 6 feet tall and 280 pounds, so I'm not exactly a small guy. Currently I drive a 1990 Toyota Tercel and my hair grazes the ceiling when I need a haircut. In the xA, I had a couple inches to spare.

Unless you are a gargantuan, you should fit comfortably.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

as far as the radio is concerned, they also added an mp3 upgrade in the 05. it is supposed to clean up the sound distortion caused by compressing the file. also, they changed the headrests in the back. made them smaller, after about the first month of the 05 production.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member

Default Hope this Helps

I have owned muh' xa for 4 months, 4200 miles . It's a great ride.

Exterior:
When I got it there were to scratches on it..but the dealer fixed them right away for me... I got the ink indigo pearl color...BEAUtiful....but here in pa...snow and mud can make it dirty...but if you wash/wax....like you should....it'll shine for you. If a skate boarder crashes into it....HUNT HIM DOWN...how do you hit a car...besides doin' a trick...but it's not his property...However dents are inevitable with most vehicles:-(

Interior:
The only thing on the top part of the dashboard that needs to be lit up is the gauges...and they are lit up at night so you can see them...They are in the middle and i though to muh' self to, *how will i get use to that*...easier then you think...it's more in view than it would be behind the steering wheel...you can see it when your driving in the corner of your eye:-) The rest of the dashboard, round the stereo...its user friendly:-) As far as comfort the seats are not super firm, but comfy for long drives. Does the interior feel cheap, not really, the stereo is pioneer....good quality...althougn if you like to jam....and get a massage...lol...the drivers side speaker rattles a lil' but it's a cheap fix:-)

Drive:
Again with the rattling from the pounding of the stereo:-) I HAVE NOT HEARD ANY RATTLING FROM DRIVING AT HIGH SPEEDS....80mph or more....the governor on the spedometer stops just before 100 mph:-(....that's Pennsylvania for ya' SO YEAH...you can drive more than 80mph on the stock tires...100 mph if you'd like.
The ride is as comfortable as it can be with stock schocks.....

Size: WHOA...it takes up 2/3 of the parking space...it looks funny. But it lets you fit into those spaces where other people don't know how to park:-)
I have comfortably fit 5 people into it...front seat 6'0 your still comfortable, and the back seat can fit a 6' person as well...but the front seats need to be moved forward a lil' for more backseat legroom....

Buying:
I live in Pennsylvania...so i pretty much get the car for the price listed:-) Remote keyless entry...go elsewhere...it's cheaper!!!! As far as haggling the base price of the vehicle...it's cheap enough, and what comes with it, most places you have to pay xtra for all those power accsesories, it's a deal. Like i said if you want to add some more available options it's cheaper to buy them elsewhere:-)