Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

So, umm... Why Does The Paint On Scions Suck...???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had I known of the paint quality beforehand, I would have reevaluated my choices in my recent car purchase.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Desnudate883
I got a new Xa in March and i already noticed a few chips, also i noticed white and red lines in my car, i think anyone whose has a car door that touches yours in the slightest you get that color paint on your car. This does suck, the lines i buffed out but the chips...blah
Isn't it better that their paint comes off their car rather than the other way around?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion's are budget, entry level cars. The paint may be thin, but...

At least they're not like American paint. We've all seen 3 year old Dodge Neons with huge areas of where the paint has literally fallen off.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

I paid for the dealer's paint protection coating thing when I bought my car after hearing about all the paint issues. They're going to call me to have it done next week so it's not too late to get a refund. Does anyone have experience with it and if it actually protects against anything?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tranman
I paid for the dealer's paint protection coating thing when I bought my car after hearing about all the paint issues. They're going to call me to have it done next week so it's not too late to get a refund. Does anyone have experience with it and if it actually protects against anything?
Please don't tell me it's the Xzilon treatment you got. Yeah, it's good... but don't expect it to protect against scratches and chips.

Xzilon is only a new brand of super-wax. It will not guard against chips, just oxidation and other paint damage caused by leaving untreated paint out to the elements.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yeah I think that's it. Paid $300 for it but it's not too late to get a refund. The thing that tempted me was the 5yr warranty that comes with the paint but now I think that doesnt cover scratches and dings only things like tree sap and bird droppings which im not too worried about. I'll probably just get a refund and get the car waxed every few months.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the paint covered under waranty? yeah about the paint coming off pther ppls cars onto mine. Even though it comes off their cars, you can never tell or it never shows. It only shows marks on my damn blue. yea scions are low budget cars but still when you pay good money for a car you expect the paint to be at least decent. This has never happen to anybody i know before
Old 07-21-2006, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm not saying I think anyone is wrong - or right for that matter - but this is how I figure it:

I paid $14K base for my car - yeah, after tax, license and all that crap, you're lookin at closer to $20K. I worked at an Audi dealership for about a year detailing the new deliveries and driving their shuttle bus when I was in High School and the paint on those cars was perfect (for the most part) - but they scratched just as easy, and they ran $40K+. The only difference? More coats of color and CLEAR!!

For those who don't know this already, the clear coat is exactly that - CLEAR. And obviously if you dont have that gloss inducing protective coating, chips and scratches are going to be more easily seen.

I personally think the overall paint job on my PW xB is damn good for an inexpensive car - yeah it's too thin and it scratches and chips easily, and I sure would like to have a clear coat and an extra coat of paint - but I dont.

To me, it's all based on relativity. You pay X amount for a car you expect certain things - it just so happens that the pricepoint in which our cars reside is the one where we should expect rattles and creaks over time, as well as compromising in certain high-cost areas of the car - like the paint.

in a nutshell:

-I'm happy with the overall FINISHED LOOK of my paint (yes, it sucks, but it looks better than other, more expensive cars I've seen out there).

-I dont think it is a quality control issue @ Toyota - merely a cost saving tactic so we aren't paying another G on base price.

-I'm glad they skimped on something that only gives me a minor headache, and not an aneurism like constant drivetrain problems (i.e. Jaguar, Ford, Etc...).

Just my take on the matter...
Old 07-21-2006, 04:05 PM
rwf
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think not everyone has the paint problem. Maybe different batches of paint differs? My tc's paint has been fine for over an year, but some other's have been bubbling or coming off weeks after buy thier cars?? I mean if its rock chips i'd understand.. otherwise.. that just doesnt sound right..
Old 07-21-2006, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, if the paint is bubbling/fading stuff like that - then I would think that's either manufacturer's defect, or careless people not waxing their cars, but issues like that shouldn't happen - I would think even if you had a first year xB/xA.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member

Default XA Paint

I made a commment someplace in here and after thinking about it, I decided that I drive some sh*t roads, everyday, driving to work. I held my hand out of the car one day and it felt like it was being sandblasted. My VW Passat had the same kinds of chips.

I'm going to have my hood re-painted and then covered in 220 coats of clear and still be smug that I have a 35+ mpg car that I paid cash for and is a blast to drive.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well in reading this i am finding that I am definately not alone. I only have 1400 miles on my xb, and already have a couple scratches on it. This paint is sooo thin. makes me sad.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here is an idea to swirl around in your head if your paint chips and yuu can't afford to get it fixed or repainted and it bugs you to death. vinyl racing graphics. they are cheap I finally had a chip on the hood and put a huge TRD vinyl graphic on the hood it adds a racing flare and now I don't have to worry about that part of my hood. and hopefully it will minimize elements exposure to the chipped spot. I still have my complaint on file now with CAS.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

All Toyota's have bad paint. Even my $30,000 Prius chipped like crazy.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member

White areas underneath paint are indiciative of Exolite II, Toyota's special treatment used for all metallic areas. The idea is that it turns white if the metal is exposed, thus preventing rusting from occuring until the paint damage is repaired.

As for paint chipping, etc: as many people have mentioned before, changes in acceptable paint practices and ingredients have steadily made paint harder and harder to keep durable. With so many loose rocks and stones on the road...well, you get the idea.