Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

What to look for in a test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member

Default What to look for in a test drive?

My wife and I currently own a '91 civic hatchback, which is getting a little (?) long in the tooth. One of the replacements we're considering is a Scion xA (we really don't like the boxy xB look), and we're planning on having a test drive at a local dealer soon.
One thing I'm concerned about is if the cargo/trunk space with the back seats up is really as tiny as some reviews suggest. Any other suggestions on what to look for in a test drive?
Old 03-09-2006, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member

traction, speed, and cornering turns. also look for the space between you and the pedals. well that's what i look for when i do a test drive lol.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u could also google what to look for in a test drive.....lots of good articles

they basically say to push the car and inspect it, like slam the doors, floor it for 5 secs on an empty street, test the braking extremly good, test cornering and just see how the car itself rides
Old 03-09-2006, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've been told to test drive for at least 20 min. make sure you are comfortable. it takes awhile to figure out if you will get uncomfortable driving. My first choice in cars was a lamborghini diablo but after test driving it i was not comfortable so i went with the TC.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you like the way the xA does, you really should look at the xB, at least once. That thing is HUGE!!!!!

When on the test drive, leave the radio off. Test it in the dealers lot. Some salesmen will try to sell you the radio to hide shortcomings of the car....Was that a rattle or the radio? Don't be rushed, drive it, think about it, drive it again.. Interstates, surface streets, a good mixture of roads. If you can, drive it in rush hour traffic, see if your vision out is good..some people have trouble with where the mirror is, they can't see around it in the xA. Don't worry about where the speedo is, you will get used to that, I don't like driving a car with it in front of me now, so don't focus on that, focus on the rest of the car.. Will it have enuff power for you? Do you and the family fit in it? Stuff like that...

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2006, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also remember for either xA or xB:

manual transmission @ 80 mph = 4000 rpm
automatic transmission @ 80 mph = 3500 rpm

big diff!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

I was just wondering this same thing myself. I was going to check for the "notchiness" in the shifting of the 5speed.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is no notchiness in 5th gear. The notchiness is most prevalent from 1st - 2nd gear due to the short ratio transmission.

One of my biggest tips for buying a car is to do it in broad daylight! If you're doing it at the evening or under heavy forecast, you'll miss many things.

First do a visual inspection for any scratches, dents, etc. if the body looks fine, then head toward the interior and do a quick inspection. sit in the front, sit in the back, pretty much mess with every little detail once or twice. Roll the windows down, crack the stereo up, sit in the front seat, then back seat, etc.

During your test drive, before driving off the lot check your mirrors and view. The vantage point of the xA is pretty good thanks to it's high seating and good visability. When driving, rev it up to around 5k and see if the power is right for you. If it feels like it's lacking oomph, then the xA is not for you.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Originally Posted by M-Flo
There is no notchiness in 5th gear. The notchiness is most prevalent from 1st - 2nd gear due to the short ratio transmission.

One of my biggest tips for buying a car is to do it in broad daylight! If you're doing it at the evening or under heavy forecast, you'll miss many things.

First do a visual inspection for any scratches, dents, etc. if the body looks fine, then head toward the interior and do a quick inspection. sit in the front, sit in the back, pretty much mess with every little detail once or twice. Roll the windows down, crack the stereo up, sit in the front seat, then back seat, etc.

During your test drive, before driving off the lot check your mirrors and view. The vantage point of the xA is pretty good thanks to it's high seating and good visability. When driving, rev it up to around 5k and see if the power is right for you. If it feels like it's lacking oomph, then the xA is not for you.
Thanks M-Flo, I was just telling my friend today that when I go for the test drive Mon. or Tue. (or both) I was gonna check EVERYTHING. Rev it up, open the hatch, look at the storage area (spare tire). It is after all a test drive. I forgot to think about cranking the stereo, the windows...sitting in the back seat. But I do have 2 places I was gonna go to, one right off the freeway, and one on a main street in Huntington Beach to get both freeway(kind of, it's the 22 for those who know) and street racing...I mean city driving

"I was just wondering this same thing myself. I was going to check for the "notchiness" in the shifting of the 5speed." I meant the manual not fifth gear...sorry
Old 03-12-2006, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What to look for in a test drive?

Originally Posted by ruud
Any other suggestions on what to look for in a test drive?
Gasoline.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Originally Posted by lalagimp
Originally Posted by ruud
Any other suggestions on what to look for in a test drive?
Gasoline.
Of Course! I knew something was missing. j/k

I'm Heading out for my test drive(s) in about an hour. I'll come back with a verdict ASAP. But I am not biassed in any way.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xSTANDxSTRONGx
I'm Heading out for my test drive(s) in about an hour. I'll come back with a verdict ASAP.
That was yesterdaY!

What happened?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Must have been a good drive....
Old 03-17-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Oh man I'm so sorry I didn't get back to this thread, I wrote on mine instead.

IT WAS GREAT!! I had a ton of fun, The only thing I don't like about it is that I have to wait to get it. At least 2 months prolly closer to 3

<For a full run down, see https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...09219&start=50 About 3/4 of the way down> Sorry again for not getting back here
Old 03-17-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xb/xa both out corner a ton of cars on the road, some at much higher price ranges thanks to weight dist. and being light weight. especially if you drop it with performance springs and/or coilovers.

On a test drive. first, never test drive the car you want to buy. You want to see how well the car picks up, how well it corners, how much space is between pedals, sort of feel how the car shifts and try to take it on the highway. These are all great ways to see if you like it or not.

Despite what people say, xb/xa in stock forum is quick. Nothing extremely fast, but it can stay with traffic no problem at all. Auto and manuals both have more aggressive gearing compared to most cars in our classes. In terms of power, remember power to weight. 120whp is very quick for us, 130-140whp is pretty fast. Not talking 12sec fast, but its definitely not slow then. If you are looking for a good daily, you will be happy. If you are looking for a daily + be able to go to an autocross or road course track and do well, you also picked a good car.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

I noticed that the get-up and the cornering were freakin awesome. Not to mention the hill I went up was like flat ground in some cars I've driven. AMAZING! I can't wait till I can go for another drive, esp. when it is actually mine.