Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

WHAT IS YOUR MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

strup muffler? whats that and also i am looking to get a cherry bomb or magna flow or flow master muffler seeing if that will work or sound nice also thanks for the info on it. i will look into everything and how are you calculating mileage?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:58 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cherrybomb glasspack ruins the flow of a free flowing catback system get a magnaflow resonator
Old 08-24-2008, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobb
Yup, anything to make the car move easier with leff effort, the engine, etc increases the fuel economy. Some performance parts does this, lowering the car, making sure all wheels point in the same direction.

I too was at 37 or so til the day my manager quit and I spent several hours just cruzing the highway while listening to the radio. I could not sleep and they were splitting my team up across 7 floors of the building we worked in.

Just recently I got a strup muffler and hopefully soon a 4 2 1 header. The mufler seems to help increase it, however my extra fan for colder ac made my mpg go down back to 38-36.

Originally Posted by PseudoToad
CObb thankx man i wasnt sure if that really did affect it and im averaging about 37mpg
Sounds like a crazy work fiasco happening... not good.

Any performance parts(exhaust, headers especially) should only decrease mpg.
A drop in K&N or TRD w/ snorkle removal is one thing.
The stock exhaust system is good for what its ment for.. good mpg.
At 25K miles, when spark plugs need replacing go to Iridium plugs to increase mpg.
Ohhhhh, and pay close attention to your driving... Scangauge 2 is highly recommended.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Super-Stormtrooper07
Yup, anything to make the car move easier with leff effort, the engine, etc increases the fuel economy. Some performance parts does this, lowering the car, making sure all wheels point in the same direction.

I too was at 37 or so til the day my manager quit and I spent several hours just cruzing the highway while listening to the radio. I could not sleep and they were splitting my team up across 7 floors of the building we worked in.

Just recently I got a strup muffler and hopefully soon a 4 2 1 header. The mufler seems to help increase it, however my extra fan for colder ac made my mpg go down back to 38-36.

Originally Posted by PseudoToad
CObb thankx man i wasnt sure if that really did affect it and im averaging about 37mpg
Sounds like a crazy work fiasco happening... not good.

Any performance parts(exhaust, headers especially) should only decrease mpg.
A drop in K&N or TRD w/ snorkle removal is one thing.
The stock exhaust system is good for what its ment for.. good mpg.
At 25K miles, when spark plugs need replacing go to Iridium plugs to increase mpg.
Ohhhhh, and pay close attention to your driving... Scangauge 2 is highly recommended.
I have heard most of the reason behind worse fuel economy with intake/headers/exhaust is from the driver using more throttle to hear the sound.
I would think that air easily flowing through the entire engine would help fuel economy.

My best tank with just a CAI is 44.4mpg. I can beat that I know it!
Old 08-24-2008, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate the fact this car has such a low red line. It seems to just keep gaining power now with the new muffler.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the backpressure that aftermarket exhausts create on the system hinders the engines ability to be as efficent as possible (however the design helps to create more hp.... usually by 5-10% increase). The stock oem exhaust is a fairly simplistic design ... not so sure if you could get better then that in terms of increasing mpg .... maybe by removing the pre-muffler(most cars have it.. I believe ours have a pre-muffler) , may increase mpg (not so sure if it would mess with vehicle emission readings at a later date however).
Old 08-24-2008, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate the fact this car has such a low red line. It seems to just keep gaining power now with the new muffler.
many... many new cars red-line at 6500 rpm's. Most BMW's , 350z, Evo, STi ... I believe most of those are between 7000-7500 rpm's

Now, if your talking a S2000 .... those red-line between 8200('04+) and 9000 rpms('00-'03) , but hey they take 91+ octane gas plus get 26 mpg average Thats like motorcycle technology
Old 08-25-2008, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats one reason I avoided a cat back and the flow master. Til 4200 rpms many gave less hp and tq until this rpm, then it increased. The strup one I got I found a website with a hp chart and hp plus tq increased a few numbers after 4200 rpms, same before hand. I feel an extra tq off idle and after my usual shift point some more usable power.

Basically the back pressure prevents the spillage of the intake charge going into the exhaust from the valve over lap when the exhaust closes and intake opens. If the cam is redesigned the better exhaust could do more, however most cam designs offer no free lunch. You can do one thing and increase the top end and loose your bottom or vice versa or have a generic setting and medioaka performance across the entine rpm band. I think the vvt is suppose to give us the better performance across the entire range. If I could, I would want more lower end.

Read the dynos before you buy any parts and the reviews.

Originally Posted by Super-Stormtrooper07
Actually the backpressure that aftermarket exhausts create on the system hinders the engines ability to be as efficent as possible (however the design helps to create more hp.... usually by 5-10% increase). The stock oem exhaust is a fairly simplistic design ... not so sure if you could get better then that in terms of increasing mpg .... maybe by removing the pre-muffler(most cars have it.. I believe ours have a pre-muffler) , may increase mpg (not so sure if it would mess with vehicle emission readings at a later date however).
Old 08-25-2008, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and i was wondering also how do i reset the ecu/efi in the xa 06? and where is it i hope i did it right from what i was told
Old 09-25-2008, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I am getting about 36 mostly highway with a yakima roof rack, and frequent bike hauling. Not too shabby for ridiculous wind resistance.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am trying figure out why i am getting only 30 mpg roughly but i think it may be the CA intake that i need to clean lol but yeah 45000 Yeeeahhhhh BOooiiiiiii!!!!!