Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

WHAT IS YOUR MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

With a ScanGauge II you can calibrate the speed/odometer reading so that what it thinks is 1 mile really equals 1 mile (regardless of wheel size etc). Basically, while you're on a long-ish highway drive, you reset the trip odometer just as you cross a mile marker, then after 50 miles or so compare what your trip meter says and what the mile marker says. Then you can go to More > Setup > Speed and adjust it up or down by the % difference.

I just did this this past weekend on our way up to Binghamton, and it turns out that even though everything's stock, the odometer was reading 4% short (it only showed 95.7 miles when I went 100 miles). So now that I calibrated it, the ScanGauge reads the right mileage even though the car's odometer is off by 4%.

Anyways, it's pretty hard to compare MPG between different drivers in different cars in different states with different jobs. On this weekend's trip (300-something miles), I drove at about 80 mph on my way up there, and got 30 MPG. On the way back I did 70 mph and got 37 MPG. My wife drives the car to work everyday, only 4 miles each way in the city, up and down some pretty serious Pittsburgh hills and gets about 24 MPG (even less when it's really cold). So I really wouldn't read too much into yours and others' gas mileage.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Oh yeah, I also want to add that if a 10 MPH difference on the highway makes such a big MPG difference, I imagine just having a head- vs tail-wind makes a significant difference too.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

I normally get 33-35 MPG when mixed with street driving.

When I drive from San Diego to Tucson, I get about 38-40 MPG that's with Rostra Cruise Control at 70MPH. Highest so far has been 41.8MPG.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MaxiVisVires
I normally get 33-35 MPG when mixed with street driving.

When I drive from San Diego to Tucson, I get about 38-40 MPG that's with Rostra Cruise Control at 70MPH. Highest so far has been 41.8MPG.
Wow! Scion/Toyota would love your results proves there estimates right. Are you using A/C? Do you drive very light footed?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Originally Posted by INFINI
Wow! Scion/Toyota would love your results proves there estimates right. Are you using A/C? Do you drive very light footed?
No A/C and the drive itself is pretty flat. I just set it on cruise control and forget about it.

The speed is really the biggest factor when driving. Even the Scan Guage shows it. But if I bump the speed to 80MPH, at the pump I average 33-35.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dand
Oh yeah, I also want to add that if a 10 MPH difference on the highway makes such a big MPG difference, I imagine just having a head- vs tail-wind makes a significant difference too.
Yes, Wind should never be underestimated!!!!
Keep it aero! A cross or tail wind - will not affect mpg detramentally. A frontal head wind will definitly change your mpg. Keep it aero! Our cars are rated at a 0.31 coefficant of drag, which is pretty decent , but there are several luxury/performance cars at the 0.26 drag factor (Prius I believe is 0.26). I'm in the process of researching a material I can add to my front bumper area, that I hope will help deflect the wind resistance while driving / during head wind instances. By doing a few things .... I might be able to get it down to the .26 number. Taking off those bulky side mirrors, in favor of some low profile/carbon - or at least some sort of low frontal area side mirrors would def. help things out .
Old 03-25-2008, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A head wind can cut your mpg by half. I know back when we had that windy weather in VA. A tail wind does nothing byt makes it wiggle. No luck for doubling your fuel economy.

Yes, 45mph give you 58 mpg, but its hard to maintain down the interstate. I try to plan my route away from stop lights and 45mph zones.

When my manager quit at my night job and they split us up among 8 floors of the call center, I did not feel like sleeping. I drove around listing to the radio half the morning about 146 miles. I filled up twice and ate somewhere and had my cruise set to 55 do the man would not hassle me. After dirving around for a few hours I was shocked at my fuel economy.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For a tailwind to help, it would have to be greater than your speed, otherwise, it is just less of a headwind....
And if you are doing 70 and the tailwind is doing 80, do 90 because you are in a very serious storm....

I recently changed jobs and drive over 100 miles a day, mostly interstate, but some of it is heavy traffic interstate, but I average 33 MPG, best is 37 but I was drafting every transfer truck I could find.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
For a tailwind to help, it would have to be greater than your speed, otherwise, it is just less of a headwind....
A difference between a "head wind" of 70 and 80 mph is exactly what makes the difference, so it most certainly helps you even if you're not in a deadly storm.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much throttle are you guys giving this little car? I give it an inch and let the engine come up to speed and change the gears. Infact I use to work the throttle with my bare foot on its side using my big toe to move the petal til I got a feel for it.

Sure the rental cars I slam the petal to the floor and release when I reach my desired speed, but hey, they are rental cars.

If I can not pull out in traffic, I find another way or go with traffic, then turn around somewhere to go the other direction.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mark,

I'm all about keeping up momentum( hitting the break as little as possible/ or not at all), reading traffic ahead of me(big when it comes to dealing w/ stop signs + stop lights) .

Also, when on the freeway- I try and keep it at a steady 60-65mph .... possibly draft a large moving truck/ semi from time to time, for fairly short distances 1-5 miles (usually on flats).
If I'm in the slow lane, and I see someone coming up on me in the fast lane going 75+ mph , and I'm doing 60 or so , I'll slowly start to speed up then change lanes into the fast lane as soon as the car/truck passes me to give me a bit of a "push" - sometimes I'll be able to stay on the car/trucks tail end and draft behind them... all the while I'm getting 45-55+ mpg . Then I see a Prius go by at 80 mph ..... GREEN, yeah right

I do my best to apex all turns as best as possible, keeping as straight of a line

Yes, getting up to speed- getting into 2nd or 3rd gear asap is a proven(scangauge 2) gas saver.
I also do my best to keep the car in gear all the time, coming up to a intersection I'll get off the gas and coast up to the intersetion preserving gas (fuel cut off).
Old 03-26-2008, 07:43 PM
SL Member

I'm getting about 23-26 mpg flogging the ____ out of my car. I have huge heavy 18" rims, CAI, headers, exhaust.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah I don't do very well either with my 18's. But I also do allot of city driving in the City of LA.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tercel95
I'm getting about 23-26 mpg flogging the ____ out of my car. I have huge heavy 18" rims, CAI, headers, exhaust.
Is it worth the added hp... what an extra 10-15hp , or would you rather have the extra 10+ mpg that your ride can attain ?

If you got an extra 10 mpg better( mid-30's ... which is attainable), that would equate to an extra 120 miles driven per tank of gas = almost 4 gallons of gas = @ say 3.50 per gallon = $14 saving per full tank of gas (and these are current prices/averages ... later this summer, it will be an even bigger resulted savings at the pump!!!)
Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like you know me Adam. I just engine brake to boot and use the brakes if more is needed. I kill it at long stop lights and rail road crossings.

Kill the ac at idle if on and turn it back on when at cruising speed. AC doubles your fuel consumption at idle. I cant tell at cruise.

I tailgated or drafted a semi going 90 one day down 295. I was using 2 gallons an hour fuel consumption, yet getting 45mpg. Go figure. I normally fing someone to draft at posted speed or a bit more.

Man filling up roughly 8 gallons every 300 miles gets old fast.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, kill the engine if your going to be at idle for one- or more minutes ..... otherwise keep it running. I'd think most stop lights should be under a minute wait time.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:13 PM
SL Member

I think the mods are worth it. I could never drive a car without loud exhaust. My car is faster than my brothers stock xA. The mileage is all in my driving. I am constantly spinning tires, dropping the clutch hard, speed shifting, etc...
Old 03-28-2008, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The mileage is all in my driving. I am constantly spinning tires, dropping the clutch hard, speed shifting, etc...
And what benefit does this give you, exactly? You're driving your car to an early grave.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:26 PM
SL Member

I just enjoy driving like that. The car doesn't have enough power to break anything. Honestly I really liked and babied this car for like a month. But after owning it for a year and the crappy dealerships in my area not fixing the transmission problem, I started to hate the car. Now I beat it like it owes me money. I can't wait to get rid of it.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just enjoy driving like that. The car doesn't have enough power to break anything. Honestly I really liked and babied this car for like a month. But after owning it for a year and the crappy dealerships in my area not fixing the transmission problem, I started to hate the car. Now I beat it like it owes me money. I can't wait to get rid of it.
not sure what problem they would not fix but if they are liable I would contact Scion Corp. See what can be done. I know I have problems before and had to take measures to get my Compressor fixed. Took a while but I ended up only paying Gas/new Condenser....

Quick Reply: WHAT IS YOUR MPG?