Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

'04 xB Engine replacement - advice request

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question '04 xB Engine replacement - advice request

Hey viewers,
It's been awhile since I've posted here, but I always appreciate the great information you all contribute, so having said that, here I go:

I have a 2004 xB, which is my daily driver.
It has 290K miles on it now and is burning through oil more than I like it to. There are no external oil leaks as far as I can see, and I've not performed any work as far as replacing valve springs, or piston rings.
I am trying to weigh up the options between having the engine overhauled, or installing a low mileage replacement. So my questions are:

1. If I include the wire harness and ECU are there any issues with fitting a 1NZ-FE engine from a 2006 xB?
2. As far as performance and reliability goes, is it best just to stick with the 1NZ-FE, or are there better options or upgrades for the '04-'07 xB engine? I've read a few posters considering using a 1ZZ-FE as a replacement.
3. I will definitely be replacing the engine mounts, but while the engine and transmission are out, what other parts do you recommend replacing?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

290k....first off, congrats!
For your first question, I would like to ask if you are looking to do perform mods to your car that will increase power? If yes, drop a better (internally) engine in there, but that would probably require fabrication. If no, any 1NZ from any Gen1 should do fine!

Second question, look back at answer #1. But don't hesitate putting forth a 2jz :p ha

Third question, I would recommend cleaning if anything! Might as well get your body into the engine bay and start cleaning (whether it may be hoses, intake manifold, etc.)

But really, that is awesome that you have had this engine for so long! Thats a moneys worth right there!
Old 02-11-2014, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the input, dapuckstopper15.

Yeah, the engine is still strong at 290K. Aside from regular oil changes, I have had very minimal maintenance work to do, other than change the water pump.

I wouldn't mind having a little more power, but I like my 30-35 mpg, so I don't know if 'upgrading' to another Toyota engine will be economical, unless I could get more power with the same economy.

Good idea about the engine cleaning. If I stay with a 1NZ I'll replace hoses, header, etc, and might paint the engine bay something else.

As far as the 1NZ-FE goes, I'll keep reading the specs link:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/1nz-fe-specs-70/

The 2007 Corolla XRS get's 32/41 mpg with the 2ZZ-GE, so if it is a close fit and requires reasonably minor modifications, I might consider it.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So now the 2ZZ-GE engine is starting to pique my interest.
The Toyota Corolla claims 32-41 MPG, so I would already be getting the same MPG or better, and an extra 60 or so HP.

Still searching for someone that has tried/completed this swap.
If there's anyone who can link me to anyone that has completed this on a 1st gen xB, I'd be much obliged.

Last edited by Ford_Falcon; 02-14-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found an engine rebuild business north of L.A. that charges $1,500 to perform an engine rebuild on a 2ZZ-GE, but you have to provide the core engine.
The turn-around time is 4 days. Does that sound reasonable?

Otherwise there is an '00-'05 JDM engine on eBay with about 35K miles for $1850. That's not bad, considering other sellers want the same money for an engine with 3x the mileage!

Are there any benefits to getting a JDM engine over a USDM?
Old 05-09-2014, 05:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hello Ford Falcon, made any progress on the XB yet? Just trying to bump this thread back to life because my XB is getting up there in the miles and I would really like to hear more about this corolla xrs swap. Sounds like a safe bet to me.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Falcon
So now the 2ZZ-GE engine is starting to pique my interest.
The Toyota Corolla claims 32-41 MPG, so I would already be getting the same MPG or better, and an extra 60 or so HP.

Still searching for someone that has tried/completed this swap.
If there's anyone who can link me to anyone that has completed this on a 1st gen xB, I'd be much obliged.
2ZZ-GE isn't going to give that mileage. The 1ZZ-FE would. Not the same 1.8L. Even then, I wouldn't expect better than 37-38, since the xB still isn't a Corolla in terms of shape (though I think they weigh the same).

I was in the same boat when I was replacing my engine in February. The way I look at it, if you just get a new 1NZ-FE, it's direct fit. If you upgrade to a 1ZZ-FE from a Corolla (126hp instead of 108hp) that sounds cool, and I even hear it's lighter. BUT you don't just have to change the engine, but the transmission, computer, and possibly harnesses. Plus there are far more variations of the 1ZZ-FE out there that aren't all that great.

The 2ZZ-GE as used in the Celica GTS, Corolla XRS, Matrix XRS, and Lotus Elise would probably need the six-speed transaxle they come with-- keeps the engine in that optimal speed. And of course it needs premium fuel. If you sold it, more people would be thrilled about a 2ZZ-GE swap than a 1ZZ-FE... not many people think about balancing power and economy/livability, so they'd prefer the more extreme engine or just stock-- anything else would probably scare a buyer for some reason or another. On the bright side, your Scions have WAY more room in the bay than my Echo.

The other thing to remember with the 1NZ, 1ZZ, and 2ZZ is they all use the same exact oil filter-- that means the 1NZ-FE is using a filter that far more powerful, performance-oriented engines use-- that's some comforting overkill for protection, IMO. Adding on pieces like a header, intake plenum, and lighter pulley would still help with economy. Your engine would be breathing better, be making more power, and thus wouldn't be as labored-- it's easier to get moving. Economy and performance often have similarities.

Last edited by Harvey; 05-12-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ford_Falcon
Hey viewers,
It's been awhile since I've posted here, but I always appreciate the great information you all contribute, so having said that, here I go:

I have a 2004 xB, which is my daily driver.
It has 290K miles on it now and is burning through oil more than I like it to. There are no external oil leaks as far as I can see, and I've not performed any work as far as replacing valve springs, or piston rings.
I am trying to weigh up the options between having the engine overhauled, or installing a low mileage replacement. So my questions are:

1. If I include the wire harness and ECU are there any issues with fitting a 1NZ-FE engine from a 2006 xB?
2. As far as performance and reliability goes, is it best just to stick with the 1NZ-FE, or are there better options or upgrades for the '04-'07 xB engine? I've read a few posters considering using a 1ZZ-FE as a replacement.
3. I will definitely be replacing the engine mounts, but while the engine and transmission are out, what other parts do you recommend replacing?

so what was the outcome?
Old 10-11-2022, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by Sapp
so what was the outcome?
The thread is 8 years old and the OP hasn't been on since 2016...I don't think you're going to get an answer back.

My $.02 is if you need an engine replacement and want to minimize downtime then replace it with another 1NZ-FE. If you want performance and can afford the cost of a new engine, the fab work, the required extra parts, the wiring changes that need to be made then skip the 1ZZ-FE and go straight to the 2ZZ-FE. It's been done and there is some good documentation on here but it's not a 'weekend swap'.