Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Adding additional Power to Auto 05 xB..

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 06:59 PM
SL Member

Default Adding additional Power to Auto 05 xB..

Finally after 15 years, I purchased my first 2005 xB with 197k on it two weeks ago. Strong engine and strong transmission. But there are a few things that have been on my mind
and would like a like help from this great community. I am mechanically inclined and would love to fix it personally first before taking it to my mechanic. Especially on an amazingly easy car to work on.

I do notice that on long inclines (I live in San Diego area) the car likes to "feather" around highway speeds at 4000rpm. I can solve this by either slowing way down on the freeway or just accelerating it to get some speed.
I changed out the spark plugs and cleaned off the coils and that seemed to have made a difference, but now it just does it ever so slightly. I plan on giving her a tune up real soon and perhaps that will change her behavior.

Also, what are some best ways to boost some more power out of her. I know I'm at a handicap BECAUSE it is an automatic, but are there any enhancements to Billie I can do to make her have a little more power in her?

Any suggestion or comments are welcome.

This is xB is sooo much fun to drive!

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-21-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:59 AM
SL Member

You could get a cold air intake and a header. And im curious about the car "feathering" what does that mean? Are your tires inflated to the right psi?

You could get a rear sway bar, i dont have one but ive heard good things, it wouldnt make your car faster but you could corner faster lol
Old 06-22-2020, 01:15 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrrcom
You could get a cold air intake and a header. And im curious about the car "feathering" what does that mean? Are your tires inflated to the right psi?
You could get a rear sway bar, I don't have one but I've heard good things, it wouldn't make your car faster but you could corner faster lol
Sorry should've used better terminology. What I mean by feathering is that when I go uphill I can feel the car as if being pulled up the hill by a bungee cord.

That's best l way I can describe it. It feels like a misfire but I'm getting no codes or dash light.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-22-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:47 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnoriginalDingo
Sorry should've used better terminology. What I mean by feathering is that when I go uphill I can feel the car as if being pulled up the hill by a bungie cord. That's best lway I can describe it. It feels like a misfire but I'm getting no codes or dash light.
Do the automatic xB have a button to turn off Overdrive? Or is it a 4 speed?

Have you checked the air filter?

You can get a ELM327 chip that plugs into your OBD2 port and with an App like Torque it'll show codes, mpg, and everything.

____