Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

AE101/111 4A-G engine swap...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AE101/111 4A-G engine swap...?

I'm suprised this hasn't popped up. A decent skim of the forums showed no links, though Celica engine swap thread did pop up... but that raised a few odd questions.

-The Celica engine - in either 3S, 5S, 1ZZ, or 2ZZ form - is a hefty little runner. Only the 4A-FE would show a small weight impact, but isn't that a bit of... a downgrade? I'm not even going to mention the R series engines and beyond, nor the Celica Supra's 5M... that would just be silly.
-Our transmission is probably suited to the task, but if the internals are like the engine's (read: not friendly with power) then maybe it's a bad idea - ESPECIALLY automatic models, like mine.
-Isn't there something that fits the bill a little better?

Oh, wait. There is. The JDM-market 4A-GEU 20-valve, produced in the AE101 and 111 Corolla Levin and Sprinter Trueno models. Occasionally found in a few wicked kit cars like home-built Caterhams but more often than not overhyped under the hood of a certain 20-year-old sportified grocery-getter, no names mentioned, they're light, 1.6 liters of displacement, rev to a winding 8 grand [and push a healthy 175 horses up there], and, best of all... they're light as hell.

And they come paired to a six-speed manual in the AE111's case. Wouldn't that be a dandy engine swap idea? Just throwing ideas around, and seeing how the community feels about it. Not like I have the dough to void Chiyo-chan's warranty.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) Stupid idea. The 2zz can rev to 10,000 rpms with simple head mods. But who cares about reaching for more power at higher rpms when you have a bigger displacement motor with more torque that will make the power more readily available at a lower RPM.

2) Take advantage of the torque in your motor with newer technology, better flow rates, and run with it. You guys have gone over 300 whp after sticking a turbo on a stock 2az, which is not bad at all. Plus figuring out an engine mount solution, a transmission solution, and a ECU solution ALONG with paying for the engine and the labor will make the hp/dollar ratio ******* retarded.

3) We're not Honda. Our transmissions and engines don't bolt up together as easily as theirs do.

4) You have a tC automatic. There are wayyyy better ways to go fast than to stick in an underpowered 1.6 liter engine in your car. For starters, get a better platform, or at least upgrade to a 5 speed.

5) Stop watching Initial D.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

for the post above, its a xb not a tc.

for the OP, how about us 1.5 owners try building our motors up first, before we jump on the engine swap bandwagon.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

*sigh* some day i'll die and not have to run into crap like this on SL.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh woops, I assumed it was a tC by accident. My apology.

You my friend, have an even slower box than the tC. There are 1,000,000 better ways to go faster. If you must have a box to go fast in, the gen 2 xB would be the way to go. But since there are already turbos and superchargers available for your car...don't blow the hp/dollar ratio sky high with a stupid engine swap.

Oh, and lets not forget that you're going to need to source a MKI MR2 transmission if you want to run the motor you want to keep your car FWD. I doubt you'll find the space to run a driveshaft back using the AE86 RWD transmission.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GTRasta
Oh, and lets not forget that you're going to need to source a MKI MR2 transmission if you want to run the motor you want to keep your car FWD. I doubt you'll find the space to run a driveshaft back using the AE86 RWD transmission.
Why wouldn't an AE101/111 transmission work?

Those cars are FWD, after all. Unless the engine faces the wrong way. Or the transmission in no way, shape, or form, could fit inside the xB.

Like I said before; this was just an idea... I've no plans to put a 6-8 year old engine in a car with less than 10,000 miles, and the xB has a decent amount of pep for what I need it for (Just looking for a tadbit more; nothing crazy)
Old 09-10-2007, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As I said, it wouldn't just bolt right up. You'd either have to get the MK1 MR2 rear clip, or fabricate custom engine mounts to hold the engine and the transmission. Then you'd have to pay money for an ECU pinout war to make this old and aging engine work on your new car. As I said, the hp/dollar ratio would be worse than just throwing a turbo on your car.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hm, good point.

I suppose that the overseas OBD-II computers are of a completely different style, anyway... either that, or maybe OBD-II doesn't even exist in Japan...

...Americans have funky ____ when it comes to computers, emissions, and safety crap...

Well, with the mention of ITBs there seems to be hope yet for the 1NZ... thanks for the input regardless. :D
Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM

WELL I HAVE A COROLLA XRS SWAP AND I DONT SEE ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL..THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT I BURN TOOO MUCH TIRE EVEN IN THIRD!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who did your swap? How much was it? Stock XRS motor, or modded. Come on, give up the goods. Nice tho.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by IowaSciontist
Who did your swap? How much was it? Stock XRS motor, or modded. Come on, give up the goods. Nice tho.
I bet it was a rican. I bet monopoly money on it.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Originally Posted by yippyyoyippyyay
Originally Posted by IowaSciontist
I bet it was a rican. I bet monopoly money on it.
It's a fake, he did no such swap.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCION_XRS
WELL I HAVE A COROLLA XRS SWAP AND I DONT SEE ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL..THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT I BURN TOOO MUCH TIRE EVEN IN THIRD!

You have been researched by many a member on this site and been proven and shown to be a more full of it than a colostomy bag. Oh yea caps lock is for kids, and you dont have to lie to kick it. Stop fronting
Old 10-29-2007, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel that the members who have tried, test fitted, prototyped, blown motors, and hypothesised for the good of tuning and finding ways for us to better improve performance do so for a reason. This community helps each other, might not always agree but posts and tunes for our benifit and use. False posts (Fronting) does nothing but breed false information to those who will go the extra mile in beliving lies. I agree that money stops most of us from trying to fit what we think and possibly belive will fit into our shoe box size engine bay, especially when stand alone and tuning comes into play, but there will be a swap done, and we will have options besides bolt on F/I. The yaris guys watch this forum and i watch theirs to find out infromation that could help. Now, As much as i dont like the idea of thinking about a b series swap how would that stack up against the ideas that was originally posted above?????
Old 10-29-2007, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First, I figured the little jerk (SCION XRS) was full of it when I emailed asking how/who did it and he didn't return my email. Either that or he thinks he's too good for the rest of us and doesn't feel the need to share good information. My bet is on the first.

octagon...If you are going to crossbreed, why Honduh? They are so played out, be original. A FWD SR20DET out of a JDM Sentra would be much more bad a$$. 220 HP compared to 160 hp. For about the same price. Plus, it's already boosted and capable of 350+ whp on stock internals, with far fewer mods than it would take to get a B16 or even B18 to that level. If need be, a new turbo setup could be built to make it fit the xB bay.

IMO. I would try to stick to a Toyota plant. Not much into crossbreeding. Altho, Top Secret's RB26DETT pwered Supra was pretty bad a$$.

Go extreme. MR2 turbo in the rear of the xB. Seen it done to a Yaris.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

part of the issue that comes to mind first is the space limited by the xa engine bay. Without a doubt i would stick to fwd.