Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

AEM cai with K&N filter?

Old 03-26-2007, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default AEM cai with K&N filter?

Hey folks, I've done some searches and I haven't been able to find the answer to my question, so if I'm asking something that's already been answered, I apologize in advance.

I have an AEM CAI that was installed by the dealer on my RS2 XB. (Powdercoated yellow)

I am wanting to swap the AEM air filter on it for a new K&N... Does anyone know what K&N part will fit this CAI?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why not use the aem dryflow filter. All u have to do is use the special cleaner to clean the filter and let it dry, thats it. No need to mess with re-oiling the filter and running a risk of overoiling it and f'n up ur maf sensor.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I completely understand. I still want to know what K&N filter will fit on it.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:22 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

messure the OD of the intake pipe and use that as the ID of the K&N air filter simple as that
Old 03-27-2007, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AEM CAI PDQ ASAP FYI

StrayLight,

I just R&R'd my AEM intake filter (at 45k miles), and was interested--like you--in other replacement options for filters. I measured the INSIDE diameter of the rubber flange at the BOTTOM of the AEM filter and believe it was 2.25". Pretty sure if you look it should be molded into that rubber bottom part.

In any event, I tried contacting dealers for several other brands and nobody came up with a filter having a 2.25" ID bottom. Maybe contact K&N direct and see what they suggest. (It's even possible that the AEM filter is made for them by K&N?) Anyway, good luck!
Old 03-27-2007, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by DriverXa
why not use the aem dryflow filter. All u have to do is use the special cleaner to clean the filter and let it dry, thats it. No need to mess with re-oiling the filter and running a risk of overoiling it and f'n up ur maf sensor.
special cleaner--I must have missed that one--please enlighten.........
Old 03-27-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ All of these reuseable filters use a kit that u buy seperately that includes a cleaner and the oil to recharge the filter. Basically spray the outside of the filter with the cleaner, let it set for the recommended time, then u wash it from the inside out and all the dirt and oil will come off. Then u must let the filter air dry this is important as using a hair dryer or something will mess up the filter. The filter will be completely white, then u either spray or pour the oil onto the dry filter very sparingly. The color in the oil shows u where u missed so apply very little oil untill it gets the color of the oil(TRD is a yellowish color, K&N is red, Fram AirHog is Orange, etc.) The problem with this is that since most people its their first time or whatever apply too much oil which after u let the filter dry out u can feel the excess. This excess gets sucked up into the intake and ruins ur maf sensor causing the car to run like crap.

Now with the AEM dryflow filter all u have to do is apply cleaner and do the same process of cleaning from the inside out, let it dry, and reinstall. That's it, no oil to mess with. The reason is is that the AEM uses synthetic materials unlike the oiled fileter which are made up of layers of cotton. The AEM will not break down and is water resistent, plus since its not cotton and there is no oil to mess with it takes significantly less time to do a cleaning session. I had a AirHog on my last car and although it did performe very well the hassle of cleaning and oiling it was a PIA. This new filter is what I'll be putting on my xa when I get my cai even though u get a new filter with it. Just sell it on ebay and offset cost of AEM.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The diameter is 2.25 inches.

BTW, if you decide to go with the DryFlow filter, the part # is 21-200DK.

The first thing I did before install my TRD CAI was to dump the oiled filter for a DF filter.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks all for the responses. I think it's pretty odd that K&N wouldn't have a part that fits this (in a cross reference chart or something) since they have so many 'universal' designs.

I was looking for a K&N solution simply out of brand loyalty - on pretty much every other car I've had all the way back to the mid 80s, I've had a K&N filter equipped and never have had any issues.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by DriverXa
^ All of these reuseable filters use a kit that u buy seperately that includes a cleaner and the oil to recharge the filter. Basically spray the outside of the filter with the cleaner, let it set for the recommended time, then u wash it from the inside out and all the dirt and oil will come off. Then u must let the filter air dry this is important as using a hair dryer or something will mess up the filter. The filter will be completely white, then u either spray or pour the oil onto the dry filter very sparingly. The color in the oil shows u where u missed so apply very little oil untill it gets the color of the oil(TRD is a yellowish color, K&N is red, Fram AirHog is Orange, etc.) The problem with this is that since most people its their first time or whatever apply too much oil which after u let the filter dry out u can feel the excess. This excess gets sucked up into the intake and ruins ur maf sensor causing the car to run like crap.

Now with the AEM dryflow filter all u have to do is apply cleaner and do the same process of cleaning from the inside out, let it dry, and reinstall. That's it, no oil to mess with. The reason is is that the AEM uses synthetic materials unlike the oiled fileter which are made up of layers of cotton. The AEM will not break down and is water resistent, plus since its not cotton and there is no oil to mess with it takes significantly less time to do a cleaning session. I had a AirHog on my last car and although it did performe very well the hassle of cleaning and oiling it was a PIA. This new filter is what I'll be putting on my xa when I get my cai even though u get a new filter with it. Just sell it on ebay and offset cost of AEM.
hey---thanks--I see what you mean from the AEM website-------