Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

an alternative to CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default an alternative to CAI?

alright, I so want a cold air intake, but the lack of a fender to put in and prevent water from being sucked up has me seriously concerned. The bypass valve isn't reassuring either considering Ikon's retelling of a friend driving in the rain... So I've been thinking and I need feedback (yes, again...)

alright, water is much heavier than air and has a more difficult time going up the intake pipe, so what can we do to make it nearly impossible? Lengthen the pipe.. but what is an efficient way to lengthen the pipe w/o having to get plumbing all over the damn place? A corkscrew...

so my idea is one of two things, to either create a corkscrew that feeds cooler air into a short ram air kit directly (sheathed over the filter) or for it to simply pipe right in front of it...

would seem to alleviate a lot of water intake issues since it has a long way to travel and in the case of the open variety would have to splash out and into the air.. not sure if "high velocity" water (i.e. 70 mph+) would have enough momentum to go all the way up the length of pipe corkscrew and to touch the intake and be inhaled.. just so damn worried about the water intake since I may go back to Texas and in Houston rain is a daily way of life, but I didn't have to worry about it in my 5.0 because the CAI was in the fender well..
Old 09-23-2003, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

if you add length to the intake it can effect exhaust and cam tunning.longer intake moves horse power up rpm's. and takes away from low end torque.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, I'm concerned about the sealed method because of that, but what about just piping a lot of cooler air around the radiator directly into the space around a short ram air? Damn I'm paranoid about water...
Old 09-25-2003, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hwat about ram air from the hood, with a nice little scoop?, or create a sealed box to go into the bottom of the bumber where the filter sits, and have a inlet set up to breathe from the fender, that way the bos is changed not the actual intake tubes...
just a thought

brent