Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Alternator/Water Pump/AC belt no longer fits after crankshaft pulley change

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 11:33 PM
SL Member

Default Alternator/Water Pump/AC belt no longer fits after crankshaft pulley change

Crankshaft pulley bolt backed out and locating pin sheared. Was able to pull out remainder of pin from crankshaft but pulley counterbore and bolt hole were egg'd out so a trip to the junkyard was in order.

Checked the Toyota online parts manuals and all the 1st gen xBs (automatic or manual) used the same pulley part number, so I grabbed a good pulley off a junkyard xB, which was the OEM, cast pulley with the rubber insert which looked the same as my old pulley (which was original to the car as I am the original owner). Left the old pulley at the junkyard.

Got home and installed the new pulley with the new crankshaft pin and bolt with Loctite Red.

Installed the power steering belt that was previously on the car and went to install the accessory belt that was also previously on the car, but the belt was now VERY SHORT !!! I checked, double-checked, triple-checked, quadruple checked the belt routing and that the belt was correctly seated in its grooves. All was good. The belt goes around the crankshaft pulley, around the A/C pulley, then backtracks to the left of, and clockwise, around the water pump pulley, then up to the alternator. There is a casting outcropping between the crankshaft pulley and the water pump pulley, and it not touching that outcropping (which is correct).

When I pull the belt to the alternator and mimic the alternator pulley shape in the belt with my fingers, with the alternator positioned at its loosest, the center of the belt is about at the center of the alternator spindle, which is about 1" from where it should be. Because it will require two lengths of belt to make up that 1", I need a belt 2" longer than what I have, which I have ordered.

But why did this happen?

The pulley is very specific to the xB's crankshaft. Is it possible that a pulley from a tC or some other Toyota engine found its way onto that junkyard xB, and it is just my luck to have grabbed it?

Does anyone know if any other Scion/Toyotas used a similar crankshaft pulley as used on the xB?

Thanks. Ken

Last edited by k1temki; 04-03-2023 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2023, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Angry neighbor switched serpentine belts when you were at the junk yard.
Old 04-13-2023, 01:35 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 18TTony
Angry neighbor switched serpentine belts when you were at the junk yard.
That might be a plausible explanation except that I, luckily, don't have any angry neighbors.

The previous belt was a Gates K040476 and I ended up with a Gates K040500.

The K040500 was still tight, to the point where I am hoping the break-in stretch will ease the belt tension a bit.

But I've put several hundred miles on the repair and all is working well.

Who knows what happened.