Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Anyone w/ xA running No Cat Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone w/ xA running No Cat Converter?

Anyone with a xA have drove without the catalytic converter? What are the pros and cons? I know it's not legal, but my Intake and Header I have on right now isn't either.

Also, how would I do it? I know the cat is welded on to the pipe. Do I just go to a muffler shop and tell them to cut if off and weld in a straight pipe?

I read somewhere about gutting the inside of the cat. Is that the same as running a straight pipe then? This seems like the better option since I still have the appearance of having a cat, but the effects of not having one.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-10-2018 at 02:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itscurtsk
Anyone with a xA have drove without the catalytic converter? What are the pros and cons? I know it's not legal, but my intake and header I have on right now isn't either.

Also, how would I do it? I know the cat is welded on to the pipe. Do I just go to a muffler shop and tell them to cut if off and weld in a straight pipe?

I read somewhere about gutting the inside of the cat. Is that the same as running a straight pipe then? This seems like the better option since I still have the appearance of having a cat, but the effects of not having one.
Well first off, we have two cats on an xA. so that already doubles the work of what you want to do. next, if they are removed or gutted, CELs become your new best friend. I would honestly doubt there would be any performance gains (in the instance of our cars, i know older cars ran better without them) because the engines were designed to run with them in place. these are reasons i considered when I decided not to get a cat back exhaust.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-10-2018 at 02:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dam that sucks. thanks for your input.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itscurtsk
dam that sucks. thanks for your input.
yep, sorry to squash your plans man. I did a lot of research about it cause I was gonna get cat less also, but it didnt seem worth it to me. even an axle back will help though if you dont already have one. i dont know about power, but it helped outmy mpg. i can get just under 36 in the city with my a/c on (if i dont stomp on it everywhere i go because i love the sound)
Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by eignub
well first off, we have two cats on an xa. so that already doubles the work of what you want to do. next, if they are removed or gutted, CELs become your new best friend. I would honestly doubt there would be any performance gains (in the instance of our cars, i know older cars ran better without them) because the engines were designed to run with them in place. these are reasons i considered when i decided not to get a cat back exhaust.
We're is the second cat. I just built my own exhaust, using all 2.5", high flow cat,cherry bomb resonator, two chamber muffler, (very loud, just ordered 2 cherry bomb to quiet it more) and the stock exhaust had one cat, one resonator and one muffler.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

*le sigh* its not a resonator...

(unless maybe there is two different exhaust versions? but that would be a horribly stupid waste of money for toyota)

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...rformance&cj=1

CATCO CATALYTIC CONVERTER ASSEMBLY

Catco catalytic converters are designed with 409 stainless steel pipes and shell for longer life.

Specifications
2-bolt flange welded inlet
Spherical ring outlet
With two oxygen sensor ports
Standard assembly with two catalytic converters
Oval body
77.25 in. overall length
Single inlet and outlet configuration

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...rformance&cj=1

BOSAL CATALYTIC CONVERTER ASSEMBLY

Bosal catalytic converters are made to fit vehicle-specific requirements for backpressure, emissions, sound levels, and sensors. Designed and built for long life reliability.

Specifications
Flange inlet
Flange outlet
Standard assembly with two catalytic converters
Round body
75 in. L x 20 in. W x 10 in. H
Single inlet and outlet configuration
Old 04-27-2013, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member

I am a mechanic and I pulled out the stock exhaust myself and I am telling you the second piece is a resonator, it had a straight pipe with holes and fibreglass there is only one cat with platinum in it.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:44 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one cat, one resonator and one muffler

some ppl are gullible enough to believe every thing they read on the internet...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Remember, with these small displacement engines, the most things you remove, the raspier its gonna get. Straight piping the cats/resonators/whatever and leaving only the muffler will net you one very annoying fartbox of a car. If you're gonna remove them, you might want to consider replacing them with high flow resonators or something...
Old 05-11-2013, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member

I just put in a second cherry bomb and she is sounding sweet. I'll try to shoot a video soon so you can hear it
Old 05-17-2013, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member

If you're looking for extra power, according to a magazine article I read a couple of years back, you won't find much. They did a test with and with out the cat, and gained only 1 or 2 hp without the cat on a fairly high powered car. (Don't remember what kind of car it was). According to the article, back in the 70's, when they were first introduced, they were very restrictive, so that's their reputation, but it's no longer true. Modern cats flow very well. Here's another article I just stumbled across: http://www.importtuner.com/features/...l/viewall.html

Last edited by Greasyman; 05-17-2013 at 05:05 AM.