Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

belt squeal, and some other woes, please help !

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default belt squeal, and some other woes, please help !

After a perrin crank pulley install gone horribly wrong in early January on my old TCM 06.5 auto, I bought an 05 BOP 5-speed, and forgot about the tcm till now. the local toyota dealer who sucks anyways, told me that it's not covered under warranty, which i totally understood. and quoted me $6,800 for a new motor to be installed. i politely declined and had the car towed home and it sat, till 3 weeks ago.

so, for CONSIDERABLY cheaper - I had a junkyard motor with 5,000 miles dropped into my old 06.5/Auto xB, and proceeded to sell it to my fiancee who's 600 miles away at college, i drove it around here for 200 miles or so, and then took it from chicago to minneapolis (600-ish miles) the car ran flawlessly and averaged 33-ish mpg.

but the day before i leave i start to feel and hear a vibrating at idle in drive with the brake applied at a stop light, i chalked it up to being in drive with the brakes applied, and i'm just used to my 5-speed, sitting either in neutral or with the clutch in...

and now 2 days after i fly home, she fired it up at work (cold, the car was sitting for her 8-hour shift.) and when she turned the key, the unmistakable sound of belt squeal was heard. she said it's only when the motor's cold, and only lasted for a second or two, and it did it again this morning, but only for a second or two when she put it in reverse this time.

i wish i could be more descriptive, but getting anything more from her is exactly like getting driving directions from someone from Minnesota - you'd have better luck with a 3-year-old from Turkmenistan.

i told her to remove the junkyard stock number from the engine block, and the cam cover, and take it into the scion dealer, and play stupid, since the car only has 43,000 on the clock, it should have some warranty left on it.

but in case the dealers up in the twin cities are as sheisty/strict as the ones in chicago, what the hell could possibly be wrong ?

it's a new engine assembly from a 2005 xB with 4,700 miles at the time of the install - 900 miles ago. it came with it's own water pump and the stock crank pulley, and my guy re-used the car's snesors, alternator, and power steering pump, and brand spankin new belts.

needless to say, she's not happy, and her idiot parents think i screwed her, so either way, i'm now an _______ for selling her a broken box.

please help, any suggestions, etc etc.?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best guess, the new belts he put on were probably slightly on the loose side, now the belts have worn in, they are loose & squealing. Have the belts adjusted, problem solved.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 AM

it's fine now.