Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Build then boost.....or build, stroke, then boost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Build then boost.....or build, stroke, then boost?

I know the old adage "there's no replacement for displacement".......so following along those lines, the clear answer should be, "yes, stroke it fool!"

BUT........is it worth it? I figure if you've gone to the trouble of getting custom rods and pistons done, and all the rest that goes into beefing up the internals.......it shouldn't be that much more difficult to stroke it while you're at it all. I figure beef everything up, stroke, lower compression, and then boost. I'm not the most familiar with this stuff, however, so I don't know. Is it a better idea to just build the internals and then boost, and not mess with stroking it?

If anyone has the technical know how to back up a good response, I'd love for you to share your knowledge with me. It would be appreciated

KiL
Old 04-19-2005, 08:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

lower comp is acheived from pistons. the stroking will be alot harder i beleive . thats a custom crank normally you could try and stak the head and add longer rods but.... i'd say if you have a good motor builder and the money do it.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

arent te walls to thin to bore out? theyre already sleeved i think
Old 04-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

The sidewalls are too thin, and I don't know of anyone making sleeves yet. I know there are a couple sets of custom pistons w/ 8.5 compression out there, somewhere.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by firesquare
arent te walls to thin to bore out? theyre already sleeved i think
stroking has nothing to do with boring...(thats why they have diff names...)

if you are going to do internal work...might as well stroke it...(might want to lower the redline from the longer stroke...)

you could always try the accidental build up...
boost it...when something inside snaps rebuild with internals and stroke it...
Old 04-19-2005, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is this an interfearence motor?
Old 04-19-2005, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member

Based on you posts title, I would say Boost above all first. If you build first and you drop compression (which you will since you are turboing it) you cra will ride like crap with no boost and low comp.

As for stroking it, it's not a bad idea...do you need a new crankshaft, or do they make rods that'll work? Also the interferance point is good as well. If I were you I would buy an echo motor off ebay (they go as low as 300 bucks) and take the block apart and bring it to a shop and see what they say you can do.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about destroking and low compression?

that sound like a disaster :-\
Old 04-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

And the funny thing, most of the turbo Scions that throw rods, throw the number 3 rod.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

im VERY interested in building up the engine in the xB somewhere down the line. port/polished head, cam, good headers, larger injectors, etc. i understand building up this engine wont be simple as the sidewalls are aparently thin (not surprisingly) so boring isnt an option. stroking is tho as far as i know. does anybody make performance parts like that for these engines? echoes have been around for a while id be surprised if there werent aftermarket heads and such :?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by eXciteBox
im VERY interested in building up the engine in the xB somewhere down the line. port/polished head, cam, good headers, larger injectors, etc. i understand building up this engine wont be simple as the sidewalls are aparently thin (not surprisingly) so boring isnt an option. stroking is tho as far as i know. does anybody make performance parts like that for these engines? echoes have been around for a while id be surprised if there werent aftermarket heads and such :?
So far, everything would have to be custom, like the pistons, rods, and maybe even the crank. There is talk of some custom 8.5 comp pistons, but would cost at least $600 I figure.

The ports are good sized and just need to smoothing and polishing.

Injectors have a few options that work, but let us not forget about the fuel management and ECU. But, there may be a solution, hopefully soon.

When there is a will and $$$$, there is a way. It just may not be affordable to some.

Or one could always try a motor swap.

I'm not an expert, I just slept at a Holiday Inn last night.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

im not looking to do an engine swap, unless it was another xB/echo engine that was fully built im not looking for a monster of an engine, im more looking for a very free breathing, quick revving 'peppier' powerplant. i know this is like comparing arnold swartzenegger to calista flockhart but i want something that revves/sounds something like the 350Z. if i was rebuilding the engine anyway i may go low compression/turbo but if its cheaper i may just go higher compression-N/A. i was actually thinking about this a few days ago im glad this thread came up.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

i just went to the e.l. prototypes site and read about the starlet engine swap they do for the paseo and it doest sound unreasonable for the price (including all the extra stuff). to pay someone to take out your 1nz-fe, have it built (with custom parts no less)/turbo'ed/tuned, etc, re-isntalled and whatnot you would probably come somewhere near the price of a starlet swap with a larger turbo no? i have to say the starlet route has piqued my interest and may not be a bad way to go kinglou (once the swap kit is finished :p)

sorry to hijack the thread im done
Old 04-19-2005, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by IS300Turbo
Based on you posts title, I would say Boost above all first. If you build first and you drop compression (which you will since you are turboing it) you cra will ride like crap with no boost and low comp.

As for stroking it, it's not a bad idea...do you need a new crankshaft, or do they make rods that'll work? Also the interferance point is good as well. If I were you I would buy an echo motor off ebay (they go as low as 300 bucks) and take the block apart and bring it to a shop and see what they say you can do.
That's what I'd like to do........buy an echo engine (or hell, a Scion engine if I can find one, though I know they're the same engine) at a junkyard. I just have to find one. I'd like to avoid ebay so I can avoid shipping.

KiL
Old 04-20-2005, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by KingLou
Originally Posted by IS300Turbo

That's what I'd like to do........buy an echo engine (or hell, a Scion engine if I can find one, though I know they're the same engine) at a junkyard. I just have to find one. I'd like to avoid ebay so I can avoid shipping.

KiL
That's by far your best bet. Shipping isn't too bad and I've seen the complete motor for around $350.