Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Burnt out spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Burnt out spark plugs

2006 xB, 230k. Oil changes every 3k. Plugs, all fluids, you name it. Never smokey. Doesn’t leak or burn oil. Runs great. Until....over the past year it seems to have lost a little of its pep. Still drives fine.
Runs smooth. 30+mpg easy. About 4months back it started sputtering at start and loosing power. Checked plugs and the igniter points were crisped down to nothing. Other than that the plugs were clean.
Replaced them and ran great. Now four months later same thing.

ideas?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-10-2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-10-2017, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you tried Iridium plugs?
Standard plugs don't last that long in this engine. We put NGK iridiums in and they seem to work - don't know the part number though
Old 10-11-2017, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought about upping the plugs too but still, even with mid-range plugs they shouldn't have burnt out after four months. I use only regular gas so i'm not running anything hot. At first I wondered if it was rings or something (wild guess) but I'm not burning oil and the plugs weren't fouled. They had a light gray dusty crust on them but that's it. Other than sputtering and hesitating a little when the plugs went bad it got great mileage and ran fine.

I appreciate the feedback but I still can't help but wonder if it may be something else.